4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Weapon R coilovers for 95

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 10:45 AM

Weapon R coilovers for 95

does anyone have these on a 95-96 here, i havent heard any reviews or anything about them i just saw that they were very cheap for coilovers. any input appreciated
Old 10-31-2001, 10:46 AM

Re: Weapon R coilovers for 95

Originally posted by fatmike
does anyone have these on a 95-96 here, i havent heard any reviews or anything about them i just saw that they were very cheap for coilovers. any input appreciated
I have them....they're great.....i love them
Old 10-31-2001, 11:01 AM

Re: Re: Weapon R coilovers for 95

Originally posted by pawn

I have them....they're great.....i love them
Do they make them for 1998's too? So coilovers mean that they are adjustable right? So I can have it set for a 1 inch drop then if I want to after take it down to 2 inch or whatever? Doesr it require anything else new when you get it as far as suspension goes? How much are they? How difficult is it to drop it or even bring it back up to height if I want?

Sorry for soo many questions but just very intrested. This seems like what I want so that in the winter I can raise the height back up during snow whatever but on nicer days bring it back down. Cool.

SuDZ
Old 10-31-2001, 11:06 AM

Re: Re: Re: Weapon R coilovers for 95

Originally posted by SuDZ

Do they make them for 1998's too? So coilovers mean that they are adjustable right? So I can have it set for a 1 inch drop then if I want to after take it down to 2 inch or whatever? Doesr it require anything else new when you get it as far as suspension goes? How much are they? How difficult is it to drop it or even bring it back up to height if I want?

Sorry for soo many questions but just very intrested. This seems like what I want so that in the winter I can raise the height back up during snow whatever but on nicer days bring it back down. Cool.

SuDZ

yes....they make them for you 98....

yes they are adjustable....

i would reccomend changing out the struts w/some konis/or kyb agx's

Weapon R coilovers are $250

just jack the car.....and unlock it....and adjust it....its that easy....
Old 10-31-2001, 11:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Weapon R coilovers for 95

yes....they make them for you 98....

yes they are adjustable....

i would reccomend changing out the struts w/some konis/or kyb agx's

Weapon R coilovers are $250

just jack the car.....and unlock it....and adjust it....its that easy....
It is only 250 for all four? Wow wasnt cattman like 1200 or something?

Big Difference.

SuDZ
Old 10-31-2001, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Weapon R coilovers for 95

Originally posted by SuDZ

It is only 250 for all four? Wow wasnt cattman like 1200 or something?

Big Difference.

SuDZ
yes 250 for all four....see cattman comes w/EVERYTHING......these you will need the new struts....
Old 10-31-2001, 11:25 AM

weapon r vs. ground control

is there a ride difference between gc and weapon r. I have gc and they ride real stiff with konis. the real problem im having is that the front coils are slamed all the way and the back is lifted all the way. this the only way the car sits even. are the weapon r like this and are they also any lower than gc.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:30 AM

Re: weapon r vs. ground control

Originally posted by wikidbwoy
is there a ride difference between gc and weapon r. I have gc and they ride real stiff with konis. the real problem im having is that the front coils are slamed all the way and the back is lifted all the way. this the only way the car sits even. are the weapon r like this and are they also any lower than gc.
WHAT?!?! that doesn't sound right......are you sure yours are installed right......im not familiar w/gc so i don't know.....I also think the weapon R's go a little lower.....and the ride isn't any worse than it was w/my sprints......
Old 10-31-2001, 11:44 AM

Re: Re: weapon r vs. ground control

WHAT?!?! that doesn't sound right......are you sure yours are installed right......im not familiar w/gc so i don't know.....I also think the weapon R's go a little lower.....and the ride isn't any worse than it was w/my sprints......
Did you install it yourself? What is the ride like? I have never been in a modded max before so especially mothing lowered.

SuDZ
Old 10-31-2001, 12:19 PM

i had a performance shop do it and he does all my work on my car he said thats the way it is. i dont think he was right
Old 10-31-2001, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by wikidbwoy
i had a performance shop do it and he does all my work on my car he said thats the way it is. i dont think he was right
Even though I dont know much about them it does sound odd to me. Maybe have another place look at them?

SuDZ
Old 10-31-2001, 06:26 PM

yeah i would love to know more about these coil-overs too!!! I am in the market for springs, and have yet to see any that will drop my past 2 inches, so these weapon-r deals might have to work for me. But i was a bit sketchy about the quality or handling of them being 250 bucks, does anyone know more 1st hand knowledge about them?
Old 10-31-2001, 06:37 PM

how much is Ground control?

so u are saying catt coils do not require new shocks also? or..
Old 10-31-2001, 06:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cattman Coilovers are a different ballgame...

They are full coilovers with struts built on to them. You can lower your car to the ground with those, and raise it like a true 4x4. You can also adjust their dampening and other features. Unlike a strut/coilover setup, these components are meant to work together and are ideal for racing as they are the top grade. This is why they cost $1400. The Weapon-Rs for some reason do not seem to be as popular as the Ground-Control coilovers. This is because Ground-controls use Eibach springs and all quality parts, where the Weapon-Rs use generic (not that they are bad!). However, this is why the Ground-Controls are $400 and the Weapon-Rs are $250. They will drop your car a lot, but don't expect your car to looks like those totally "slammed" Civics, because for those you have to get the full $1400 Cattman coilover setup.
-Cyrus
Old 10-31-2001, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by CitrusSpeed
yeah i would love to know more about these coil-overs too!!! I am in the market for springs, and have yet to see any that will drop my past 2 inches, so these weapon-r deals might have to work for me. But i was a bit sketchy about the quality or handling of them being 250 bucks, does anyone know more 1st hand knowledge about them?

i have them....and there great.....

the only reason they are 250 is cuz there on sale right now.....if you go to there site you'll see what i mean....www.weapon-r.com

and i have to disagree w/whoever said you can't get a slammed look w/these.....i have them....and i can tuck the tires...just like a civic....

pm me w/any ?'s about these...i would be glad to fill you in.....
Old 10-31-2001, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Pawn...

i have them....and there great.....

the only reason they are 250 is cuz there on sale right now.....if you go to there site you'll see what i mean....www.weapon-r.com

and i have to disagree w/whoever said you can't get a slammed look w/these.....i have them....and i can tuck the tires...just like a civic....

pm me w/any ?'s about these...i would be glad to fill you in.....
No offense, I'm sure its a great deal, but they have been "on sale" for the past 3 or 4 months (atleast since I looked at them in August). And I believe that you can tuck your rims in (especially because you have 18s), but I have seens pics of a GXE with the stock steel rims dropped ALL the way and it wouldn't tuck in.
No harsh feelings,
Cyrus
Old 10-31-2001, 07:47 PM

Re: Hey Pawn...

Originally posted by Vyrus

No offense, I'm sure its a great deal, but they have been "on sale" for the past 3 or 4 months (atleast since I looked at them in August). And I believe that you can tuck your rims in (especially because you have 18s), but I have seens pics of a GXE with the stock steel rims dropped ALL the way and it wouldn't tuck in.
No harsh feelings,
Cyrus
you may be right about the onsale thing......but i have NO problems with mine

as far as tucking.....yes i have 18s but that doesn't matter.....

the 18 is they exact same size as my 16's were...just less tire more rim....so on a stock wheel...it will still tuck the same amount....won't look as tucked.....but it will be the same amount of drop......

everyone dogs on these coilovers....and now they have a bad name...yet everyone that dogs on them doesn't own them.....so how do they know????

i went ahead and got them.....and they are excellent....i can drop it farther than GC's......the ride isn't that harsh....a tad bouncy....but i wouldn't say its any worse than GC's.....heck it might even be better....
Old 11-01-2001, 01:12 AM

Re: Cattman Coilovers are a different ballgame...

Originally posted by Vyrus
They are full coilovers with struts built on to them. You can lower your car to the ground with those, and raise it like a true 4x4. You can also adjust their dampening and other features. Unlike a strut/coilover setup, these components are meant to work together and are ideal for racing as they are the top grade. This is why they cost $1400. The Weapon-Rs for some reason do not seem to be as popular as the Ground-Control coilovers. This is because Ground-controls use Eibach springs and all quality parts, where the Weapon-Rs use generic (not that they are bad!). However, this is why the Ground-Controls are $400 and the Weapon-Rs are $250. They will drop your car a lot, but don't expect your car to looks like those totally "slammed" Civics, because for those you have to get the full $1400 Cattman coilover setup.
-Cyrus
I believe the Cattman coil over kit comes with adjustable camber plates (so you can flatten out your contact patch when you lower the car). They also now come with a new upper mount that supposedly increases suspension travel by over an inch, so that you'll less likely bottom out. It includes the springs and coil over sleeves so you can adjust the height, and come with adjustable dampers so you can adjust the ride.

I don't remember the spring rates for the Maxima, but I know for the Miata application that WeaponR Circuit Pro kits had much higher spring rates than the standard Ground Control kit. (WeaponR was 600F/400R while GC are more in the neighbornood of 325F/250R). Which means in that application that the WeaponR will ride stiffer but probably handle better. However, the WeaponR Circuit Pro has a helper spring that keeps everything together during full extensions of the suspension. You can get the helper springs for the GC but at an additional charge.

From what I remember looking at the Weapon-R sites, the Circuit Pro coil over kit has been on and off sale. One week it will be on, next week it will be off....

-V