4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

has anyone bought these headers and y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:01 PM

has anyone bought these headers and y-pipe

I know that there was a thread but i didn't see where anyone ever got them, just wanted to know if someone did get them what was the quality and did they fit. thanks here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-99...mZ280216501653
Old 04-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They have been discussed on here alot. These are known as "Shorty headers" and wont really do much for performance. They are the stock design and not much better on the flow aspect either. The y-pipe is like every other company making Y-pipes. You'll get more out the Y then the headers. If you have motor off and wanna do them, then go ahead. In my opinion, its not worth the labor to change them with the motor in the car.

I have them, but I had the motor out when I installed them and the purchase was mainly for cosmetic reasons.

-matt
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM

will the y-pipe bolt to stock headers incase I can install headers at a later time, also what is the size of the ypipe? 2.5 or 2 ? thanks

Brandon
Old 04-10-2008, 09:32 PM

what would you say are the gains on the y- pipe as opposed to say a budget or warpspeed? do you know?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by hot_wax_tree
what would you say are the gains on the y- pipe as opposed to say a budget or warpspeed? do you know?
Originally Posted by matty
The y-pipe is like every other company making Y-pipes.
read please
Fitment is prolly the only difference in the companies that make them. Otherwise all y-pipes do the same thing: get rid of pre-cats therefore freeing up (making) HP

Originally Posted by euromaxima
will the y-pipe bolt to stock headers incase I can install headers at a later time, also what is the size of the ypipe? 2.5 or 2 ? thanks

Brandon
Nearly all y-pipes that im aware of are 2.5 inch. It doesnt say anything in the auction about the size, ud have to ask the seller, id say its 2.5

Last edited by udienow; 04-11-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:30 PM

Dude with two cars like that, why cheap out on headers and y? Those headers most likely wont even give u gains. Go with either OBX(long running)headers and y combo, or just a Y
Old 04-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Black Lion

or just get the cattman headers cant go wrong. i have and i love em. like others have said wont give you much on horse power but they give you a nice tone. hey if you have the money go for em.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 PM

OBX headers have a nice longish-runner design but the Y pipe design is crap. You could get some OBX and have a good y fabbed up at an exhaust shop.

Or you could just go Cattmans (recommended if you don't have an LTB2 and have the cash)
Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Offset Is Everything.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
OBX headers have a nice longish-runner design but the Y pipe design is crap. You could get some OBX and have a good y fabbed up at an exhaust shop.

Or you could just go Cattmans (recommended if you don't have an LTB2 and have the cash)
OR you could go with the OBX long runner AND fab up an equal length ypipe to attach to the OBX runners
FYI to the OP: the end part of the OBX ypipe is a 2.25" piping. so getting that enlarged to 2.5 will help.

or just get Cattmans like Morpheus said. save yourself the trouble.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 PM

I don't care if there is not much gain on the headers, it is more so for looks, I wanted to know if the y-pipe bolted to stock manifolds im going to cut the ypipe after the merge anyway to make a reverse y-pipe for the turbo so if the y-pipe is no different then any of the other I will get the cheaper one so I can use the other money for more turbo stuff.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Sorry to highjack the thread here guys --- but I actually bought a set of these that I never put on my Maxima.

If anyone is interested I have both headers and y-pipe for sale CHEAP!!!
First $75 takes it (shipping not included though)

I oppologize for the hijack again

Last edited by 2000 Maximus; 04-16-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2000 Maximus
Sorry to highjack the thread here guys --- but I actually bought a set of these that I never put on my Maxima.

If anyone is interested I have both headers and exhaust for sale CHEAP!!!
First $75 takes it (shipping not included though)

my oppoligize the hijack again
I'll take em, check your pm
Old 04-12-2008, 09:28 AM

I just bought these on ebay and installed them yesterday. I used my stock headers and the fitment is horrible, the front of the pipe is pressed up against the oil pan which will probably cause it to create a hole over time. Installation was a nightmare because the bends in the pipe were not accurate and required a little muscle to get everything lined up correctly which caused the pipe to be pressed up against the oil pan.

Only reason why I bought it was because my stock flex pipe was basically garabe.

Hope this helped....
Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 AM

the moral of the story is- you get what you pay for.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yo!

I bought these guys and installed the y pipe yesterday. I took the advice from this thread and others and just left the headers out. I didn't find the fitment to be too bad really, took a little muscle, but nothing that couldn't be handled.

The only real issue I had was found when trying to remove those damn cat to y pipe bolts! Them sukers were not coming off! I read somewhere in the 4th gen exhaust thread that it it wise to have a local shop break those things before you get into them... doing that would have cut considerable time on the whole install.

Quality looks great but I believe the supplied bolts may be of a different thread width. No problem there though as the original bolts worked just fine. All in all, if most aftermarket y pipes are generally the same as I have read on this site, then I see no reason not to purchase this one. I did a lot of research before hand and this version is quite a bit cheaper than the rest! Power seems smoother and more peppy. I'm very pleased.

I will be posting pics of the install on the 4th gen exhaust thread soon! Cheers!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why spend a little less and have to work to get the Y-pipe installed? A relatively inexpensive Warpspeed or Budget Y-pipe goes on perfectly with no "muscle" (except for the bolts of course). Seems silly to me. I vote for quality every time.