4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Consistent squeeking sound coming from one new Illumina strut

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:58 AM

Consistent squeeking sound coming from one new Illumina strut

I've read previous posts about how to check and resolve squeaking noises that eminate from front struts -- one in particular was the recommendation to tighten the center nut. (BTW, can the center nut ONLY be torqued off the car with the spring compressed?).

However, I did not see any reports of a simultaneous feeling of harshness in ride.

My struts are new illuminas installed two weeks ago. Strut bearings are 6-months old. Springs are OEM (I30/GLE). NO squeaks and smooth ride for the first two weeks.

However, the squeak was not what initially got my attention. It was the sudden change to a bumpier ride. Not a major change, but enough to be somewhat annoying. Specifically, instead of soaking up al the small bumps, like it had for the previous two weeks, they now could distinctly be felt.

BTW, I have not hit anything like a pothole or speed bump.

I rechecked the settings on the Illuminas, and have had all of them set on "1."

I decided to test the front suspension by pushing down on each side of the front to check for noise and to observe any difference between the left and right struts.

There were no differences in the pressure needed to compress each side and no differences in strut rebound -- BUT, it was then that I noticed the squeek coming from the passenger side strut.

The squeak sound is reminiscent of an old rocking chair or an old bed frame when moved. The squeak was of consistent loudness and pitch throughout the entire range of strut travel -- that is, it sounded the same from no compression to fully compressed.

I also did not notice any difference in the effort needed to push down on each side, nor did I see any difference in rebound.

What does the combo of SQUEAK & HARSH RIDE mean?

Having the spring isolators slip might cause the noise, but what about the harshness? The struts were properly installed. So, what dso you think could have happened in that short a time period?

Last edited by dr-rjp; 05-01-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 AM

Not installed correctly......... Is the strut mount installed properly. "Out" part further away from the engine bay?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:32 PM

As far as the harshness, get used to it. Even on the lowest setting, the Illuminas are stiffer than stock. I had Illuminas on for a long while with stock springs and ended up with very good handling, but I felt every bump in the road. They actually rode better when the weather was cooler, so maybe that's what you are noticing now that it's getting warmer. Someone on the forum said a long while back that using the front springs off of a manual transmission Max works better. I never tried that combo...maybe someone else has had good results. I think the Illuminas work very well with lowered springs, so that might be your best option.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by goldmax
As far as the harshness, get used to it. Even on the lowest setting, the Illuminas are stiffer than stock.
Completely false.

Set on 1, they ride like a caddy and are almost to floaty.
2 provides more control, yet maintains a soft comfy ride.
3 on up is where they get nice and tight.

To the OP of this thread. Are you sure it's the strut making the noise?
Take the strut out, apart and test it. It is possible that it has failed (defective), or you might have another suspension component thats gone bad.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Completely false.

Set on 1, they ride like a caddy and are almost to floaty.
2 provides more control, yet maintains a soft comfy ride.
3 on up is where they get nice and tight.

To the OP of this thread. Are you sure it's the strut making the noise?
Take the strut out, apart and test it. It is possible that it has failed (defective), or you might have another suspension component thats gone bad.
Bouncing the front end on the right side produces the squeak, whereas the left side is fine.

I have a feeling that it is a defective strut. The noise did not exist before the install, and I know that both struts are properly set, with the "OUT" on the top hats facing outwards.

Turning up the stiffness on the strut to "5" makes it disappear...but, of course, that may be due to its higher resistance to compression at "5" than at "1"

I'm going to order a replacement strut.

Something else I noticed.

The front end seems to be riding higher than it did a few weeks before.

Would that happen if a strut went bad? Like, the spring forces the piston to travel beyond its normal stopping point?