4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

240sx for Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
That's what I'm talkin about! Now put that in a weekend car and your set!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:05 AM

I'm throwing this out from the left field but wat about a lexus sc300/400 with 1jz or 2jz swaps?? It's a rwd 2 door. looks some wat similar to the 240sx. It bolts up alot of supra things (brakes & suspension just to name a few). I bought sc400 a year ago for $3000 with 215k miles. So if you added your 12k+ to it. Thats a bad *** ride and alot less common than the 240sx.

On another note: Going from driving my maxima with k-sports and few performance mods to driving my friends 240 ka-t with stock suspension. The 240sx is alot more fun to drive. Too bad his ride got jacked 3 weeks ago.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:32 PM

^^or why not just start with a 2jz sc300 and collect the necessary single turbo parts.

Those videos...ka-t vs sr vs VQ...not really an even comparison. That 9 second S14 Ka-t built by Ivan (previously from phat-kat)/turbo240/AMS is street trim -- full interior and basically a street car. That 7 second sr has severe weight reduction, and that VQ is a full out drag car. If you really want an apples to apples comparison of those 3 engines, you should look into the SCTuned (out of Philly) S13 KA-T drag car. On a 600whp setup, the car was in high 7's IIRC. Just recently, they created a different setup, and maxed out a 1000hp dyno, and are shooting to break 7.50's.

I didn't really take the time to read some of the long posts in here, but is someone in here really going to argue traction in FWD vs RWD?

edit...just realized there wasn't a link available for the 9 second ka-t...nevermind

Last edited by BigLou93SE; 04-14-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by riceyasian86
First off, thanks for all the input fellows!

Dude, I didn't even think about it. I just don't know how much time it'd take to do this. I've already helped swap out a couple engines for 240sx KA to SR and pretty confident in doing it myself. I was looking for a cheap rb engine but it's too expensive to tune up and get it working right. I'll look into the VH

I'd be able to drive the 240sx as my dd. The only thing that'll delay will be the engine swap. Everything else shouldn't pose a problem. I couldn't use my s2000 as a daily driver as it would stress me out having to fill her up every 3 days or so.

The reason I'm not going to pour money in my s2000 is because it's engineered pretty damn well and there's no point putting tons of money into it since I don't use it for drag racing or track racing; although I could.
It tops out at like 138 or 140 mph which is sad but it wasn't built for top speed drag races but for cornering and such. If I were to slap a turbo or a sc on it it's not going to make me accelerate any faster. s2000 has the worst torque i've experienced in a rwd but the mid range power is really good. I've already done everything I'm probably going to do performance-wise to my s2000. Intake, exhaust, and headers.

I can see why I'd have 2 two-door cars. One for weekends, cruising, dates, track racing (maybe), etc. The other for essentially my dd. I don't plan on entering any drifting competitions. I think it's fun to watch but I have a good job already heh. I do plan on putting in at least $12,000 in modding it. Then keep it forever until I pass on to motorway heaven.

I don't think I'd want to trade in my s2000 after I just bought it lol. Nothing would really replace my s2000. If you're implying that I keep the maxima AND the s2000 and on top of that get a s13/14 then no. I can't afford to have 3 cars on my hands. Insurance, gas, maintenance, etc would make me drive off a cliff.

Which VQ are you using? What year z?

I understand what you mean. To be honest the last time I gave more than 1 other person a ride was when I was in highschool. All my friends now have the ability to give themselves ride. For hauling purposes my friends and my dad have trucks so I don't really have a problem in the department either.

Like I mentioned earlier. I'm thinking about doing this because I think my modding days are over with the max and if I were to put money into a car it should be something with exponential gains and not purely visual. I live in california and for the 22 years I've lived here I've never left it to live anywhere else. The most snow I've seen is at mammoth and lake tahoe.

I don't get why everyone is asking what's the point of getting a 240sx if I already have a s2000? Are you guys talking about having 2 two-door cars or something else?
I think I've explained almost every reason to why I want to trade the maxima in.

I just wanted to know if you guys think it'll be worth it.
Specifically, what would you do if given the opportunity to trade in your maxima, get a 240sx, and mod it to the 240sx from hell?

check it out: http://www.cardomain.com/MakeModel/N.../all/1997/1999

Thanks guys!
To each their own. I am thinking more from a pratical standpoint, but if you are wanting to embark on a new project then why not? If that's what you really want go for it. I wasn't trying to discourage you, I was just giving my input.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:38 PM

Brah, if you can find a good 240 i say go for it. that was on top of my list then a black max, but didnt find one in good condition and miles. then Ms. Blaze showed up. i dont think i'll ever trade her, even for a 240. TT Z maybe
Old 04-14-2008, 02:48 PM

Fully dressed VQ30DE weighs ~330 lbs and a fully dressed VH45DE weighs ~550 lbs. That's a 220 lb difference. Plus, think how much longer a VH is than a VQ (longer is bad for handling). Yes, turbo stuff adds more weight, but you'd also have to turbo a VH to get good power too. I'm pretty sure a VQ30DET would be able to make 6-700 whp without breaking or without changing any internals.
its just the fact that a VQ is a V6 and the VH is a V8, ask RX7 owners why they throw LS1s under the hood, they'll most likely give u the same answer.

and plus cmon who wouldnt want this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOKsRvzvofA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_cRQhW7nj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzKrm...eature=related

get the VH and be a happy camper lol
Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Crusher103
its just the fact that a VQ is a V6 and the VH is a V8, ask RX7 owners why they throw LS1s under the hood, they'll most likely give u the same answer.
Why? So that they can sacrifice handling for reliability and and instant torque.

It's the same situation when comparing the VQ and VH except they're both reliable engines.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Those videos...ka-t vs sr vs VQ...not really an even comparison. That 9 second S14 Ka-t built by Ivan (previously from phat-kat)/turbo240/AMS is street trim -- full interior and basically a street car. That 7 second sr has severe weight reduction, and that VQ is a full out drag car.
There is no comparison between these engines. The VQ is a modern V6 with more displacement and it weighs exactly the same as a KA.

Can a KA or SR make 2100hp? There's a few 6 second VQ powered 350z's that have 1800-2100hp and weigh 2400-2600lbs. There's also a couple of 8 second VQ powered street 350z's that have over 1000hp.

It's light weight, compact, has good displacement, and can create alot HP. What more do want from an engine?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:56 PM

I believe I'm going to go either VQ35 or SR20. The VH and 2JZ are incredible engines but if I were to get those engines, I wouldn't want a 240sx. I'd want something with a more power look. Like a supra or a rx7. And believe me if supra's weren't so expensive I'd buy one. Same goes with the rx7. Stealerships like to jack up prices to unbelievable prices.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM

Why? So that they can sacrifice handling for reliability and and instant torque.

It's the same situation when comparing the VQ and VH except they're both reliable engines.
but the VH sound better and its a V8 lol

well if i had a 240 Id be going the VH route hands down

btw I heard that the LS1 is actually quite light for its size, Im not sure if this is accurate or not but a bare 13B no tranny wieghs in at about 300lbs, a LS1 is 457lbs with tranny, they are pretty light motors, about 50lbs isnt going to kill anything with that flatter torque curve that thing has, lol the VH is a heavy motor thou

Last edited by Crusher103; 04-14-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:37 PM

right now im am doing the same thing as you sort of. either go boost with the maxima which would be amazing till i blow the engine or put an RB in my S14. i have looked into doing the KA-T, SR and RB and with all of them spending 6000 will pretty much get me to the same horse power. but the KA-T will give you slightly more hp and will allow you to better control your car but thats just from a drifting stand point.. But since i live in CA there is a good shop here that sells RB for 2300 so thats what im doing. this is just me but i'd rather have a car with less miles on it than doing anything more to my maxima.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Beast Mode!!!

If u don't need the back seat and you have the $$$$ might as well build up the 240 for the hell of it. They are in abundance in Cali and a turbo 240 would complement the S nicely.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:33 PM

There is no comparison between these engines. The VQ is a modern V6 with more displacement and it weighs exactly the same as a KA.

Can a KA or SR make 2100hp? There's a few 6 second VQ powered 350z's that have 1800-2100hp and weigh 2400-2600lbs. There's also a couple of 8 second VQ powered street 350z's that have over 1000hp.

It's light weight, compact, has good displacement, and can create alot HP. What more do want from an engine?
What do I want from an engine...how about having the ability to make reasonable power and not just the ability to e-brag over forums about how much someone else's car makes.

A 400whp KA-T 240sx will be cheaper than a VQ swapped 400whp S-chassis. 400whp in a 240sx should be more than enough for most of the people who should be trusted to drive a car that powerful to have.

Not that I don't enjoy the VQ...but throwing out facts about how much ridiculous horsepower some VQ guys are making doesn't mean that a person wanting a reasonable, powerful street car should immediately swap over. Is anyone even making a mounting kit for them?

edit...what about a KA-T gives you more control while drifting nismovq?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Beast Mode!!!

You should swap in and turbo an SR20VE...
Old 04-16-2008, 08:25 PM

What do I want from an engine...how about having the ability to make reasonable power and not just the ability to e-brag over forums about how much someone else's car makes.
lol. I don't want to make 2100 hp or even 1000 in an S chassis. I just really like the VQ and I think it's the perfect engine for an S chassis. All I want from a VQ is to make 400-700whp reliably, but, mainly, I'm just stating it's ability to make massive power.

Someone stated that the best engine to swap into an S chassis would be a VH45DE(TT) and others showed what KA-T's and SR's are capable of. I'm, merely, just defending the VQ.

A 400whp KA-T 240sx will be cheaper than a VQ swapped 400whp S-chassis.
Really?? How much does it cost to build a reliable 400whp KA-T?

As far as a VQ, it really depends on which engine and engine management you choose. Most of the choices will cost more than a properly built KA-T, but you'll have a better engine with a better torque curve and more aftermarket support. If you choose the route that I chose, I HIGHLY doubt that it would cost more properly built 400whp KA-T.

Not that I don't enjoy the VQ...but throwing out facts about how much ridiculous horsepower some VQ guys are making doesn't mean that a person wanting a reasonable, powerful street car should immediately swap over.
The facts that I've stated are just there to say that this fairly new engine has been proven worthy. Why do people like the RB and 2JZ so much?

Is anyone even making a mounting kit for them?
vqswap.com makes them... I was going to buy a set for my project, but I've seen pictures of their overpriced mounting kit and I've read some reviews. Basically, the fitment of the kit is horrible and that's why I'm making my own kit (for myself and to sell to others)
Old 04-17-2008, 12:07 PM

lol. I don't want to make 2100 hp or even 1000 in an S chassis. I just really like the VQ and I think it's the perfect engine for an S chassis. All I want from a VQ is to make 400-700whp reliably, but, mainly, I'm just stating it's ability to make massive power.

Someone stated that the best engine to swap into an S chassis would be a VH45DE(TT) and others showed what KA-T's and SR's are capable of. I'm, merely, just defending the VQ.
Hmm, point taken. However, 700whp is excessive if you're not building a drag car. That's the power that Ivan's 9sec KA-T makes through at auto...and he's running low 9's.

Really?? How much does it cost to build a reliable 400whp KA-T?

As far as a VQ, it really depends on which engine and engine management you choose. Most of the choices will cost more than a properly built KA-T, but you'll have a better engine with a better torque curve and more aftermarket support. If you choose the route that I chose, I HIGHLY doubt that it would cost more properly built 400whp KA-T.
Well, my turbo setup costed me $2200, with a 400+whp capable turbo. The only thing that is holding me back from running much more power, are my current injectors, maybe my intercooler (a little on the small side) and my engine. I haven't really looked into getting my engine built, because I'm not after serious power, but I imagine it'll take 2k-3k all said and done, getting everything. So for <5k, 400whp reliably.

When you say 400whp VQ, are you saying a F/I car or N/A?

The facts that I've stated are just there to say that this fairly new engine has been proven worthy. Why do people like the RB and 2JZ so much?
Probably because I6>V6.

vqswap.com makes them... I was going to buy a set for my project, but I've seen pictures of their overpriced mounting kit and I've read some reviews. Basically, the fitment of the kit is horrible and that's why I'm making my own kit (for myself and to sell to others)
Do you have a 240sx yet? Or still in the planning stages? Keep me up to date on the project, I do like seeing VQ swaps. That's a shame about the fitment...

And this is why I like the s-chassis community - there are so many damn options to building up one of these cars that everything is interesting (for the most part).

Good luck on your build, hope I didn't come off like a dck
Old 04-17-2008, 11:18 PM

Hmm, point taken. However, 700whp is excessive if you're not building a drag car. That's the power that Ivan's 9sec KA-T makes through at auto...and he's running low 9's.
One of my goals is to have a turbo and fuel system that will max out around 700whp, but I won't drive it on the street with over 400-500 whp. I'm basically building a completely gutted race car...

Well, my turbo setup costed me $2200, with a 400+whp capable turbo. The only thing that is holding me back from running much more power, are my current injectors, maybe my intercooler (a little on the small side) and my engine. I haven't really looked into getting my engine built, because I'm not after serious power, but I imagine it'll take 2k-3k all said and done, getting everything. So for <5k, 400whp reliably.
I paid $1000 for a vq30det, oem turbo, all accessories, 4th gen ecu, wiring harness, starter, maf sensor, and an auto tranny that I threw away. The vq30det can give me 500+ reliable whp without changing any internals. The oem turbo and injectors max out at 300whp. I paid $250 for a 350z 6-speed.
I figure that it will cost me 5-6k in including the car to meet my power goals. Although, my goals are a bit different than yours...

I would have thought that you would want build the engine to make 400whp reliably.

When you say 400whp VQ, are you saying a F/I car or N/A?
F/I

400whp NA would be almost impossible and cost 15-20k.

Probably because I6>V6.
lol, why? A V6 is much more compact (shorter), the VQ weighs ALOT less than either of those I6's, and it can produce quite a bit more power.

Do you have a 240sx yet? Or still in the planning stages? Keep me up to date on the project, I do like seeing VQ swaps. That's a shame about the fitment...
I have an '89 S13 coupe. It's completely gutted and ready for the swap. I'm in the process of designing the shifter relocation bracket and I will have the engine/trans in the car in couple weeks.

I'll keep you updated...

And this is why I like the s-chassis community - there are so many damn options to building up one of these cars that everything is interesting (for the most part).
I totally agree.

Good luck on your build, hope I didn't come off like a dck
Thanks. You didn't come across as too much of a ****, but it's ok.