4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anybody else have issues with static electricity??

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM

Anybody else have issues with static electricity??

Im serious. Every time I get out of my car, I get shocked. like when you rub your feet on carpet and touch something. When I shift around in my seat, I feel it on my back, too. I can feel my shirt getting clingy. lol. What gives? Has anybody else experienced this? I know it sounds weird but this is the only car I've owned thats done this. Is something not grouded perhaps or is it just a trait of this car...lets find out!
Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No, and why dont you just get some static guard at the grocery?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Administrator

This only happens on my gf's civic when I get out of the car and shut the door, but never on my Maxima or any of my other cars.

Sucks your Max is doing it.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:14 PM
wants an I35

i heard this story on the news about a woman who got badly burned because a static shock ignited gasoline while she was filling up her car.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 PM

What's up with that anyway... I got shocked 98% of the time (huge shocks where I can see the blue electrity spike) when I got out of my friend's integra. It's seldom for my max though and usually weak when it happens.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ROCKART
i heard this story on the news about a woman who got badly burned because a static shock ignited gasoline while she was filling up her car.
True, but her car was still running. This is why there are big warning signs at the gas station to "Turn off your car when pumping gas".
Old 04-17-2008, 12:22 PM
wants an I35

oh you heard about that too?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:38 PM

OOoooo...I def heard those horror stories, too!!! Also, peeps using cell phones while pumping gas.
Does that Integra or that Civic, as mentioned above, have any after market electronics? Stereo, lights...ext.? Im wondering if a faulty ground on an electrical component might have something to do with this...

Or, perhaps its the giant sweaters my gamma knit for me that I wear at all times thats causing this? (jk)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM

I get it a lot on the Max, occasionally on other cars. I think it's created when you slide across the seat, so probably the seat design and type of fabric have something to do with it. I've never had a car with leather interior, but I imagine that wouldn't create a shock.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Perfect timing about the whole gas pumping thing: Paris pumping gas...
Old 04-17-2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
I get it a lot on the Max, occasionally on other cars. I think it's created when you slide across the seat, so probably the seat design and type of fabric have something to do with it. I've never had a car with leather interior, but I imagine that wouldn't create a shock.
I get shocked 60% of the time and it's most likely when I'm sliding to get out of my car.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:19 PM

I see. So, it may just come down to my entering/exiting technique.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:33 PM
wants an I35

basically, touch rubber before you touch anything metal. touch your shoe to the tire, hand to the weatherstripping, etc. etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 PM

There was a mythbusters episode about this, but they couldn't get gas to ignite, IIRC.

I'm guessing it's just the people who have cloth seats...it's never happened to me w/ the leather seats.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:51 PM

on that mythbusters episode they couldnt get a cellphone to do anything also

but on the other hand i do get static shocked by my max to cuz i have the tendency to grab the top of the metal door after opening it...
Old 04-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Should only happen in the winter months. Also, depends on what kind of shoes you have on. I know if I wear flip flops, I'll get shocked, but with something with a thick rubber soled shoe, it doens't happen at all.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM

i almost all ways get shocked getting out of my Maxi and I always wear tennis shoes. I do have a seat cover but my original are cloth
Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 PM

I get shocked 98 % of the time I think now I just dont notice all the time
Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM

100% of the time. I always though it was just me!! But there are issues with my electrics anyway.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by 3 point slow
Im serious. Every time I get out of my car, I get shocked. like when you rub your feet on carpet and touch something. When I shift around in my seat, I feel it on my back, too. I can feel my shirt getting clingy. lol. What gives? Has anybody else experienced this? I know it sounds weird but this is the only car I've owned thats done this. Is something not grouded perhaps or is it just a trait of this car...lets find out!
YOOOO, LMAO..... Same shhhhtt been happeniong to me for the past year. It funny you made this post. LOL, I never thought to see if it was happening to anyone else. I get the SHHHT shocked out of me (on my leg usually) when I'm exiting the car only... Weird eh?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 PM

never got shock.but....i really dont know what to tell you.I assume that much that you have cloth seats.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM

WOW! I've haven't had this problem wit my max LOL And I have cloth seats hopefully don't ever run into it cause I def don't like gettin shocked lol...
Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM

I sometimes get shocked.I do have cloth seats,proly its the way i get out.I think for an explosion to happen by a cell or electricity,there has to be alot of gas vapors.Lets say a room.It would be pretty hard for it to happen since ur out doors.But dont try to find out,cause u may get lucky...LOL
My MOS is Petro spec(Fueler)i gas up choppers.When that shopper comes in to fuel up,u need to ground that bish first,u sometimes see the electricity coming off the chopper.As ur reaching to hook up the grounding rod,u see the charge go for the rod.THATS not fun when u have a hose with fuel 10 feet away.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:56 PM

I get shocked quite a bit while closing my driver door while the car is off....
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Thakidmeen
WOW! I've haven't had this problem wit my max LOL And I have cloth seats hopefully don't ever run into it cause I def don't like gettin shocked lol...
i get shocked everytime i see a sig thats 8 feet wide!!
Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 PM

It's a cloth vs. leather thing.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM

tell your mom to use fabric softner when she wash your clothes
Old 04-17-2008, 10:20 PM

drag a chain from your rear axle, it will ground the car as you drive and you wont get shocked....im serious... (trucks with sensitive equipment do this)

or...
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/electrify...ras-327905.php

Last edited by black_maxed95; 04-17-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:28 AM

Ok...Im not going to buy a device that prevents shocks (good find, btw). Although a little irritating, it doesnt hurt. I dont sit there, scared to touch anything for fear of getting this giant bolt of lightning through my body. lmao. It sounds to me as though its a cloth vs. leather thing and also the technique used in entering/exiting.
I will have my gf use more fabric softener as suggested, work on my seating technique and tie chains to the rear axle.
Problem solved. Thanks, again guys...youre the best!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:13 AM

i've only had this problem in the maxima..never in any other car i've riden or driven. only the maxima
Old 04-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Ok...Im not going to buy a device that prevents shocks (good find, btw). Although a little irritating, it doesnt hurt. I dont sit there, scared to touch anything for fear of getting this giant bolt of lightning through my body. lmao. It sounds to me as though its a cloth vs. leather thing and also the technique used in entering/exiting.
I will have my gf use more fabric softener as suggested, work on my seating technique and tie chains to the rear axle.
Problem solved. Thanks, again guys...youre the best!!!
There is a product at most grocery stores that will eliminate static...Its called static guard or something similar...its a spray...works great and only costs like 3ish bucks....
Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
There was a mythbusters episode about this, but they couldn't get gas to ignite, IIRC.

I'm guessing it's just the people who have cloth seats...it's never happened to me w/ the leather seats.

glad to hear i wont ignite..

but even when i had my GSR, cloth seats, i never got shocked
Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm also an owner with leather interior, and I've never run into that problem. However, during the summer, I hate sticking to them.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:44 AM

Bugs the ish out of me.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:54 PM

Not on my Maxima, but on my Camry and GF's Tacoma every time. I just hold on to the metal part of the door or door frame as I get out.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-out-of-a-...ic-Electricity

1. Be aware of your clothing. Synthetic materials, such as most modern fleeces, increase the risk of static shock.
2. Shoes are also important. For example, beach shoes with foam soles are more or less guaranteed to shock you.
3. When you exit the car, grip the metal frame of the door for a couple of seconds before you let your feet touch the ground. The static charge is balanced when you're still seated, when you get up the charge of your clothing doesn't have the opposite charge to hold it where it is. Having your hand on the car frame when get up lets it discharge more slowly. All you need to know is that it works.
4. Wear an anti-static wristband, if possible. These are sold at most electronics stores. They provide a conductive path to ground.
5. Open your door while still sitting in your car seat, reach up and rest your hand on the (outside) roof of the car before you slide/step out.

* Touch the glass as you exit, this will discharge any electricity as well with no shock!
* Use an anti-static laundry spray on your car's seats and floor.
* Hold a key in your hand and touch the metal door frame as you exit. It acts as a lightning rod and discharges the static without pain.
* Here's a simple technique: tap the door with your knuckle as you exit. Your knuckle is much less sensitive than your fingertip and you won't feel the zap.

Last edited by tvis; 04-18-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by tvis
Not on my Maxima, but on my Camry and GF's Tacoma every time. I just hold on to the metal part of the door or door frame as I get out.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-out-of-a-...ic-Electricity

1. Be aware of your clothing. Synthetic materials, such as most modern fleeces, increase the risk of static shock.
2. Shoes are also important. For example, beach shoes with foam soles are more or less guaranteed to shock you.
3. When you exit the car, grip the metal frame of the door for a couple of seconds before you let your feet touch the ground. The static charge is balanced when you're still seated, when you get up the charge of your clothing doesn't have the opposite charge to hold it where it is. Having your hand on the car frame when get up lets it discharge more slowly. All you need to know is that it works.
4. Wear an anti-static wristband, if possible. These are sold at most electronics stores. They provide a conductive path to ground.
5. Open your door while still sitting in your car seat, reach up and rest your hand on the (outside) roof of the car before you slide/step out.

* Touch the glass as you exit, this will discharge any electricity as well with no shock!
* Hold a key in your hand and touch the metal door frame as you exit. It acts as a lightning rod and discharges the static without pain.
* Here's a simple technique: tap the door with your knuckle as you exit. Your knuckle is much less sensitive than your fingertip and you won't feel the zap.

Yeah, that last part I do everytime now because I'm so paranoid about being shocked.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 PM

wow, this happens to me and ive actually developed a phobia of touching the car when i get out cuz the crap hurts soooo much, lol. btw, i have LEATHER seats.

BUT....this only happens when its cold, and it only happens if my winter jacket is in the car! touching the tires does NOT help cuz i get shocked by that too for some reason. trust me, ive tried it all!!! its craziness. i look like an idiot getting outta my car. wut i end up doing is shutting the door with my foot. yeah, you can tell ive battled this for some time.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
i get shocked everytime i see a sig thats 8 feet wide!!
Funny.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Whatchyou say?

:shock:

Originally Posted by The Wizard
This only happens on my gf's civic when I get out of the car and shut the door, but never on my Maxima or any of my other cars.

Sucks your Max is doing it.
Wiz .... it's cause it's a Hondduuuaaahhhhh! LOL

To the OP: try touching your key (where it makes contact with the ignition) as you open the door - this shoud (note: should is what is supposed to happen ) discharge the static and keep you from being shocked. I have had a couple of cars like that. Not a one of them was leather tho .. so there is another option I guess.

Thakidmeen - WTF is up with that sig mate? Change that sheet NOW! Or ... can a mod please do it for him? That is rediculious

Originally Posted by tvis
Touch the glass .... are you smokin? How is the glass gonna stop him from getting shocked? Really, I wanna know so I am more "knowledgable" here ????

eidt due to reading some of these stupid posts!

Last edited by JtzMax; 04-19-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by ROCKART
For one ... this is not a true story

Originally Posted by The Wizard
True, but her car was still running. This is why there are big warning signs at the gas station to "Turn off your car when pumping gas".
That sign is there so that the clerks have a chance to pay attention to you so you dont take off without paying ....

Perfect timing about the whole gas pumping thing: Paris pumping gas...
She is just a twit anyway and doesnt care about anything except herself ..

OOoooo...I def heard those horror stories, too!!! Also, peeps using cell phones while pumping gas.
Does that Integra or that Civic, as mentioned above, have any after market electronics? Stereo, lights...ext.? Im wondering if a faulty ground on an electrical component might have something to do with this...

Or, perhaps its the giant sweaters my gamma knit for me that I wear at all times thats causing this? (jk)
I WAS having this problem due to the last moron who screwed up the wiring on the stereo they put in. They cut the factory harness off completely then spliced the power, gound, and 12v switch wires .... then got fed up with what they were doing and ran new speaker wires to all the speakers. Now that I fixed all the wiring .... I dont get shocked anymore .... SO I would suggest having a look at any electronic equiptment in the car .... no matter who installed it ...

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57

Yes sir ... mythbusters have a great show about this topic.

Originally Posted by travmaximas1998
on that mythbusters episode they couldnt get a cellphone to do anything also

but on the other hand i do get static shocked by my max to cuz i have the tendency to grab the top of the metal door after opening it...
Exactly .... cell phones, i-pods, static electricity, any small devices like that do NOT create a spark hot enough or long enough to ignite any type of fuel. There have been a few videos on the internet from time to time ... and 95% of them have been shown to be fakes .... especially the lady who is fueling her car and gets in and out of the car and a spark ignites it ... notice you never heard about the gas station blowing up after that video ???

AND ... how come all this comes out since the mid to late 90's ???? We have had cell phones since the early 80's ... we have had protable FM radios, walkman tape and cd players .... and yet .... no reports of fires from those .... so its all just hype.

I would suggest you have the electronics looked at, and use some of the others suggestions as well .... touching something before you get out, static guard, GROUND TERMINAL WIRE on your battery may need to be replaced ... good luck.

Last edited by mjrpaine; 04-19-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody else have issues with static electricity??