4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Refillling Manual Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 08:41 AM

Refillling Manual Tranny

Ok here is the problem. I am looking to add redline tranny fluid to my car. I found the drain plug and everything else fine. The problem is when I am going to refill it. I thought it was the very top bolt on the transaxle. After taking it off I found it was not, I believe it might just be holding to parts together. I saw another bolt on the left had side side it more across like a bolt coming out of a wall. What I mean is it is like this I- but was not sure if it was the fill plug or not, nervous about trying to get the bolt off snapping it or what not I figured I would ask here first. This is on a 1998 by the way. I tried using my chilton manual and the FAQ's but good not get a clear enough answer or a shot of where it is.

Thanks for the help.

SuDZ
Old 11-01-2001, 08:53 AM
I'm needing a caw

There is usually a plug you use for refilling that when it's the right level it will start dripping out. What I do is open the fill plug, then use the speedo cable connection on top of the tranny for filling. it's alot easier to use. I just fill until the fill plug start leaking then stop. Or premeasure the right amount and then just pour that amount in. But I would try to get a 100% correct answer for your 4-gen application.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
There is usually a plug you use for refilling that when it's the right level it will start dripping out. What I do is open the fill plug, then use the speedo cable connection on top of the tranny for filling. it's alot easier to use. I just fill until the fill plug start leaking then stop. Or premeasure the right amount and then just pour that amount in. But I would try to get a 100% correct answer for your 4-gen application.
What I am trying to figure out though really is where is the fill plug. That what I could not find after looking around and what not.

SuDZ
Old 11-01-2001, 10:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey, if you found the drain plug, congrats--that is the harder one to find. The fill is just forward of the drain plug and about a foot higher. It's faces forard of the car so just follow the drain plug forward until you reach the front edge of the tranny, the go up the front face. YOu can't miss it. It is a round fat freak that has a big square (1/2") square hole in it. In terms of orientation, the drain plug faces down and falls down when you loosen it. The refill faces forward and falls forward when you loosen it. You fill it from above with a small tube.
Old 11-01-2001, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know wheter your engine is on the car or not, but assuming its in the car, do this;

Open your hood
Look at the battery
Now, look down past the battery to the tranny
You should see a big square female plug. That's it.

You need a 1/2 inch ratcthet. That's it, no sockets.

DW
Old 11-01-2001, 01:01 PM

Daniel Martin made a good point about this way back when:

Remove the fill bolt FIRST. This prevents the problem of draining your transmission only to find you can't remove the fill bolt, which would present quite a problem. It also helps the fluid drain faster, like opening your oil fill cap before removing the drainpan bolt.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:46 PM

Cool thanks guys. I will try again hopefully this weekend.

SuDZ
Old 11-02-2001, 06:17 AM

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Look here;

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/mtoil.html

The 1st picture. Follow the instructions I sent earlier. When you look down from just left of the battery, you'll see it.

DW

Originally posted by SuDZ

SuDZ
Old 11-02-2001, 06:24 AM

SuDZ
You just getting your Redline in now? Geez, mines been in for a month. j/k/u. I used about a 18" piece of garden hose to fill mine. You can't miss the plug, like been said, look for the only big plug with 1/2" square in the center of it.

Also, do me a favor, when you remove the plug, look at the gear right inside. Mine had dents in the tops of the gears.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Curt Deiner

You just getting your Redline in now? Geez, mines been in for a month. j/k/u. I used about a 18" piece of garden hose to fill mine. You can't miss the plug, like been said, look for the only big plug with 1/2" square in the center of it.

Also, do me a favor, when you remove the plug, look at the gear right inside. Mine had dents in the tops of the gears.
Yeah It has been taking me awhile to get the chance. My girlfriend recently bought her first car and needed some work like rotors,brakes,directional flasher, exhaust work, plugs, thermostat cause hers blew, oil change, power steerking leak, and various other goodies so I have been kinda busy with that taking up my weekends. I will look for you and hopefully will get a chance this weekend to take car of this finally. After all I do have more goodies coming in and want to get this at least out of the way first.

SuDZ
Old 11-02-2001, 04:34 PM

I just did the Redline MT-90 swap in my tranny - there were little notches in the center/top of my gear teeth, too. I think it must be aresult of the inevitable missed shift or two the cars experience at some point in their lifetime. I doubt it's anything to worry about - my tranny performs flawlessly at 82kmi & is definitely a bit smoother with the Redline upgrade. Glad I did it!

Old 11-02-2001, 10:27 PM

the little indentions in the screw are nothing to worry about. They aren't from missed shifts or anything like that. That is the way the threads are designed. I don't recall the purpose, but there is one.
Old 11-03-2001, 08:48 AM

whoops

after relooking at the directions i realized something. I did not find the drain plug but i did find the refill plug. I had it backwards. Crap. Now I have to find the drain plug instead. Sorry for the confusion guys. Any suggestions for finding the drain plug? Is it orange coated around the edges like the refill one is?

Thanks and sorry

SuDZ
Old 11-03-2001, 12:40 PM

Re: whoops

Ok, the drain plug is on the passenger side, all the way in the back, at the bottom of the transmission. It's not on the bottom, it's on the passenger side. I had to move a plastic shield aside to access mine, but it wasn't difficult to find.
Old 11-03-2001, 04:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: whoops

Originally posted by Maxwell
Ok, the drain plug is on the passenger side, all the way in the back, at the bottom of the transmission. It's not on the bottom, it's on the passenger side. I had to move a plastic shield aside to access mine, but it wasn't difficult to find.
Hunh? I'm pretty sure it's the driver's side. I found this was somewhat difficult to find. Look at the pics in the How2's. There is a metal bracket that makes unscrewing the plug somewhat difficult--easy with an open-ended wrench. It is also a little further back than I would have thought.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: whoops

Originally posted by Mishmosh

Hunh? I'm pretty sure it's the driver's side. I found this was somewhat difficult to find. Look at the pics in the How2's. There is a metal bracket that makes unscrewing the plug somewhat difficult--easy with an open-ended wrench. It is also a little further back than I would have thought.
The transmission itself is on the driver's side, but the drain bolt is on the side of the transmission that faces the passenger side of the car.

If I'm remembering this wrong, I'm sorry. I might just be fabricating this memory. Heh.
Old 11-03-2001, 05:59 PM

Cool. I will look tommorow it is a little too dark to look now.

SuDZ
Old 11-04-2001, 05:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: whoops

You are correct MAxwell. SUDZ, try this;

When you're under the car, feel your hand along the tranny, your hand is moving towards the back of the car, on the tranny,. When you get to a point where you are under where the shifter is, you should see a bar mounted very very close to the tranny. Just between the bar and the tranny is the drain bolt. Very tight squeeze there. Hope this helps. DW

Originally posted by Maxwell

The transmission itself is on the driver's side, but the drain bolt is on the side of the transmission that faces the passenger side of the car.

If I'm remembering this wrong, I'm sorry. I might just be fabricating this memory. Heh.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:28 AM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
I just did the Redline MT-90 swap in my tranny - there were little notches in the center/top of my gear teeth, too. I think it must be aresult of the inevitable missed shift or two the cars experience at some point in their lifetime. I doubt it's anything to worry about - my tranny performs flawlessly at 82kmi & is definitely a bit smoother with the Redline upgrade. Glad I did it!

Thanks for your reply. I think your right. Just so I'm not the only one. Looking forward to easy shifting in a few weeks when it's -20 here...brrrr.
Old 11-05-2001, 10:33 AM

Thanks for your reply. I think your right. Just so I'm not the only one. Looking forward to easy shifting in a few weeks when it's -20 here...brrrr.
Thats my kind of weather. Call me crazy but sometimes Massachusetts winters are just not cold or long enough.

SuDZ
Old 11-05-2001, 10:37 AM

Call me crazy but sometimes Massachusetts winters are just not cold or long enough.

SuDZ
You're crazy.

Actually I agree. Variety is the spice of life! Or in your case...ice
Old 05-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

I am having a hard time getting the drain plug off. How did you guys do it. We had it on a lift and ended up kinda striping the bolt. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2002, 06:10 AM

The tranny drain bolt is sort of covered by this big black bar, right?? Hard to get a socket over the drain bolt etc b/c of that bar. That big bar seems to act as a support for the shifting console, so I just loosened that big bolt that holds that black bar in place. Once I did that, I was able to get to tranny drain bolt and open it up.

HTH

DW

Originally posted by Iilac
I am having a hard time getting the drain plug off. How did you guys do it. We had it on a lift and ended up kinda striping the bolt. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2002, 10:07 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

dwapenyi

The tranny drain bolt is sort of covered by this big black bar, right?? Hard to get a socket over the drain bolt etc b/c of that bar. That big bar seems to act as a support for the shifting console, so I just loosened that big bolt that holds that black bar in place. Once I did that, I was able to get to tranny drain bolt and open it up.
I did unlosen the big bolt to the big black bar but it didn't move when I unlosen the bolt. Is there more then one bolt holding that black bar?
Old 05-08-2002, 05:41 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to add, I wedged a big screwdriver in there to force the big black bar apart (just enough, not ALL the way apart) to get a socket over the drain bolt. I would have used a wrench to open the drain bolt, but the torque needed was too great and I could have stripped it.

DW

I did unlosen the big bolt to the big black bar but it didn't move when I unlosen the bolt. Is there more then one bolt holding that black bar?
Old 05-08-2002, 07:56 AM

unlosen