4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Disassembling cylinder heads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Disassembling cylinder heads?

Would anyone like to fill me in on how to disassemble everything in the cylinder head? I.e. Removing the springs, valves, etc? I looked in the FSM, searched, and asked a few people on aim. Got nothing. Anyone wanna help?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 PM

DAYTONA!!! my old stommpin grounds..anyway what exactly is it you want to know? are you stripping it down to do a valve grind or something? or are you asking how to remove the valves ???
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM

Yeah I am trying to find out how to remove the valves, springs, etc...

Good to see a local. How long ago were you in daytona?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:23 PM

grew up in deland and moved over to db in 1999,then moved over here to slowcala about 4 years ago...
anyway about the valves... you can ren a valve spring compresser tool from autozone or (I am assuming you have the heads off the car) to get them off take a deep well socket that will fit over the valve stem and keepers(the things that lock the valve stem to the top of the spring) probably a 14 mm should work...place it over the center of the valve spring so that the opening straddles the actual valve stem, and hit it with a hammer .this does two thing simultainiously,first it pushes the spring down faster than the valve and 2nd ,the vibration will knock the keepers out of place so you can disassemble it. some times it takes a few quick hits to get it but it works.'
...damn, i hope that makes since
be careful not to lose the keepers ,they are kinda small, there are 2 per valve
Old 06-01-2008, 03:24 PM

uh oh kyle. if wanna be faster than dandy, you better read up and know how to do this
Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Yeah I am trying to find out how to remove the valves, springs, etc...

Good to see a local. How long ago were you in daytona?

HEy i see you're into r/c cars, do ou race out at the track...where is that ...strickland softball fields I think it is???
Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 PM
No more Maximas...

Would anyone like to fill me in on how to disassemble everything in the cylinder head? I.e. Removing the springs, valves, etc? I looked in the FSM, searched, and asked a few people on aim. Got nothing. Anyone wanna help?
Compress the springs, remove the keepers, everything slides out.

Should be fairly simple if you take a look at it
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the help. I figured I would need a compressor for the springs, I just wasnt sure of the process for removal.

Alset, I was into R/c, however the only thing that is currently running is the electric 4tec, and I havent even used it in 2 months...haha. Ive never been racing, I guess I just get enough out of the pavement up and down my street.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:46 PM

Alright so the valves, springs etc are out. alset, your method worked great, easy as pie. I owe you.

Now...I cant get the valve guides out. The FSM says that they should be driven out...well yeay I tried that, and they are so brittle, they shattered. Is there a trick to it?
Old 06-04-2008, 03:42 AM

Alright so the valves, springs etc are out. alset, your method worked great, easy as pie. I owe you.

Now...I cant get the valve guides out. The FSM says that they should be driven out...well yeay I tried that, and they are so brittle, they shattered. Is there a trick to it?
good man ,glad that helped, anyway about the valve guides, I wopuld go ahead and take it to a machine shop for that...its worth it.but if you continue to work at it be careful not to damage the mating surface where the guide slides into the head.
some ideas are... try to find a socket that is a little smaller in diameter than the valve guide and drive it out that way...could use a punch...

ok once again I would recomend taking it down to a shop and letting them press them out. and back in for that matter.
hope this helps
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the reply. The guides themselves are trash, new ones are definitely going in. So keeping the stockers in good condition are not a problem. But as you said, keeping the heads in good condition is a must.

I have a friend who own a shop and Ive talked to about working with him, so I might take them to him and see if he can do anything. If not, there is a Crane Cams shop somewhere in town.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. The guides themselves are trash, new ones are definitely going in. So keeping the stockers in good condition are not a problem. But as you said, keeping the heads in good condition is a must.

I have a friend who own a shop and Ive talked to about working with him, so I might take them to him and see if he can do anything. If not, there is a Crane Cams shop somewhere in town.

you might want to look in the phone book for machine shops, it would be a lot cheaper than crane cams. im not usre but I think car quest over on mason does machine work ,and if not ,they will know of someone.they are pretty good people at that store.
or if you want to take it over to Deland ...theres Autometrics, I used to work there,they are real good ...and I could probably put in a good word.