4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 AM

I've also been trying to fix this problem one fix at a time.

Aside from having done all the basic tune things, I can definetly say that replacing the ECTS, installing a grounding kit, and grounding the starter have definetly helped. It starts up fine in the morning and in the evening
(after sitting for 7hrs).

Before the ECTS/grounding. After sitting for about 30mins, the darn thing word crank for 4 secs before catching.

After having that done. It can definetly sit for more than an hour before giving me that cr@p.

I've found that following nissan's TSB on hard-staring kind of solves the problem. Giving a "bit 'o gas" makes it start right up.

I'll check to see if get some black smoke when that's happening.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by s0mbra
Im having the same problems... what i have to do to start the car is turn the key and press on the gas while is trying to start... and it would start... im thinking its the fuel pump...
I'd think if it was the fuel pump, you'd see some sputtering/stalling in more situations.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by jordandalley
Yep. Did the ground wires quite a while back. Good to see you again ptatohed! How've you been?
Pretty good, thanks Jordan. I've recently purchased a new house and am in the process of moving, doing repairs/upgrades (to both the old and new house), etc. so my attention has been away from my car for the last few months. How are you? How's married life?

So the ground wires didn't work? Where did you install the wires if I may ask?

Last edited by ptatohed; 09-25-2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by s0mbra
Im having the same problems... what i have to do to start the car is turn the key and press on the gas while is trying to start... and it would start... im thinking its the fuel pump...
That is exactly what I do when I have problem with hot start! Sometimes a press and let-go of the gas before turning the key to start also helps, I found.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:07 AM

Any Update on this Jordan?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:27 PM

I am experiencing pinging on 93 octane this year (with the JWT ECU in) and have checked everything I can think of. My car is also hard to start at times requiring 3-4 second cranks and sometimes multiple start attempts (with or without the JWT ECU), but this only occurs with cold starts. My car does not run rough after a hard start though.

I ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through (on a long continuous trip like they recommend), changed the fuel filter, crank sensor (flywheel side), cam sensor, MAF sensor, and it still pings and is hard to start. It ran fine even when temps got up into the 90's last year. This year it will even ping some in the high 50's. The pinging does decrease audibly with each 10 degree drop, but I still have a little pinging in the 50’s.

Last week I tested my fuel pump pressure. It was in spec with 34 psi at idle and peaking at 43 psi under throttle and when the switch is turned on. However, it drops immediately to zero when shut off. There was also an irregular clicking noise that seemed to be coming from an injector under the intake runners that sounded like one of them was not operating properly (not sure about this though).

Given my problems could I have a single injector not operating correctly? Are the injectors supposed to hold pressure when the pump is off? Maybe the other crank sensor (pulley side) is bad? Temp sensor? Any ideas?

Last edited by MaxVQ5spd; 10-27-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One month after replacing the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS) - no starting problems.

Looks like i've found the problem.

Try your ECTS.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxVQ5spd
I am experiencing pinging on 93 octane this year (with the JWT ECU in) and have checked everything I can think of. My car is also hard to start at times requiring 3-4 second cranks and sometimes multiple start attempts (with or without the JWT ECU), but this only occurs with cold starts. My car does not run rough after a hard start though.

I ran a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through (on a long continuous trip like they recommend), changed the fuel filter, crank sensor (flywheel side), cam sensor, MAF sensor, and it still pings and is hard to start. It ran fine even when temps got up into the 90's last year. This year it will even ping some in the high 50's. The pinging does decrease audibly with each 10 degree drop, but I still have a little pinging in the 50’s.

Last week I tested my fuel pump pressure. It was in spec with 34 psi at idle and peaking at 43 psi under throttle and when the switch is turned on. However, it drops immediately to zero when shut off. There was also an irregular clicking noise that seemed to be coming from an injector under the intake runners that sounded like one of them was not operating properly (not sure about this though).

Given my problems could I have a single injector not operating correctly? Are the injectors supposed to hold pressure when the pump is off? Maybe the other crank sensor (pulley side) is bad? Temp sensor? Any ideas?
Fuel pressure regulator? That's what was wrong with mine when it was pinging.