4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please help big KS problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:54 PM

Please help big KS problem

So i decided to change my Ks about 2 weeks ago, when i changed it my new Ks gave me worse millage then my old one, today i decided to switch them back and see what happens . my max eats gas like crazy on the last quoter i did 15 miles around city and its close to empty . i have no idea whats wrong ? i didn't tithin the bolt with spec . can this be the problem. can someone tell me how hard the Ks should be bolted on. i dont mean the torque because i didnt take off the manifold , i just want to know if you just get the bolt a lil or hard . anyone has any ideas what can solve this problem ?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Well it sounds like the ks is not your problem. Have you pulled the codes? (search). As far as tightness...The tighter you make it the more sensitive it will be. Mine is "snug". A decent pull with the 2 fingers I could get on the wrench. Also just to note, the first ks I put in was bad (brand new). You can check it by pulling the codes after replacing and resetting the ecu or check it with a dvom. (once again, search...it's all here)
Old 06-11-2008, 07:04 AM

my check engine light is not on . so i dont think i have any codes
Old 06-11-2008, 07:07 AM

my check engine light is not on . should i still check for codes?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:49 AM
95maxdvt

Prob not engine light does come on when key turned to on b4 starting?????

Sounds like a gas leak 15miles is crazy??

Can't smell gas anywhere??

i pulled an evap line by the gas tank on my gf's sentra cause would only let you fill $2.00 at a time at the pump, fixed prob but now drips while filling.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 AM

the check engine works when turning the key . im sure its not a gas leak , happened after ks change so must be something to do with it.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 AM
wants an I35

a dead knock sensor WILL NOT cause your CEL to come on. you need to actually physically check the codes to see the knock sensor code (called a ghost code).

did you clear the ECU after putting in the new sensor?

did you clean/sand the grounds when putting the new KS in?

either way, check the codes and see if it is still there
Old 06-11-2008, 09:30 AM

yes i did clean the ground and yes i did reset the ecu . can you tell me how to check for codes
Old 06-11-2008, 09:52 AM
wants an I35

go to Autozone or Advanced Auto or your local dealership

they should do it for free.

if you live in the middle of no where there is the "screw method" of checking your ECU and counting flashes, but i never bothered to learn because i have 4 auto stores within 2 miles of me.

or you could buy an OBDII scanner for like 30 bux
Old 06-11-2008, 09:58 AM

look for the factory torque specs for the ks...i beleive its 55 ftlbs or so....

ill find it.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 AM

whoah, way off....
factory spec is 15-20 ftlbs..
Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 PM

so i just finished changing the Ks back to the new one , restarted the ECU and we will see what will happen tommorow. checked the ks it had like 548 or something
Old 06-11-2008, 07:06 PM

just a suggestion to throw out there. check to see if continuity exists in the harness itself and check the contacts as well
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM

how do i change the ks harness ?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:07 PM

if anyone has the same problem just put the new Ks in an them reset the ECU helped me , now i get more power and i just did almost 400 miles on a tank ... instead of 290 =)
Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

working on KS you may damage something in that area, mostly the vacuum lines and harnesses. Check all pipes, wires, and connectors around.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

KS trouble

You all are a whole bunch of knowledgeable guys on this forum, and I could use some advice on a KS/O2 question.

I have a '96 GLE. I moved to The Netherlands that year, and wanted to bring along the best car available at that time. It's run 131K without any trouble. I'm having it serviced regularly at a small local shop (Our Nissan dealer tried to rip me off in '97) I LOVE this car will never sell it as long as I can keep it running!

To keep a long story short: After a code for a O2 sensor a long time ago and a code for the KS later, I decided to have all three O2 sensors replaced. I had recently been getting very poor gas mileage and the engine would often stall at low RPM, and have lack of power when accelerating. (feels like you have the hand brake on)

Before I had the O2s replaced, the spark plugs had been replaced, throttle body and connections cleaned.

Now I've driven it for 300 miles and the CEL is back on, it started stalling and holding back when accelerating again. Could there be another underlying problem? The codes read 0325 (KS) and 0125 (coolant temp) but this last one had happened just a few times. My mechanic is stumped too. I ordered a new KS from e-bay. Any thoughts on this kind of trouble?

I have the 1996 Service Manual, and I'm trying to learn as much as possible, also on this forum.
Quote:
Old 06-16-2008, 08:09 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by Cynthia Lammertsma
You all are a whole bunch of knowledgeable guys on this forum, and I could use some advice on a KS/O2 question.

I have a '96 GLE. I moved to The Netherlands that year, and wanted to bring along the best car available at that time. It's run 131K without any trouble. I'm having it serviced regularly at a small local shop (Our Nissan dealer tried to rip me off in '97) I LOVE this car will never sell it as long as I can keep it running!

To keep a long story short: After a code for a O2 sensor a long time ago and a code for the KS later, I decided to have all three O2 sensors replaced. I had recently been getting very poor gas mileage and the engine would often stall at low RPM, and have lack of power when accelerating. (feels like you have the hand brake on)

Before I had the O2s replaced, the spark plugs had been replaced, throttle body and connections cleaned.

Now I've driven it for 300 miles and the CEL is back on, it started stalling and holding back when accelerating again. Could there be another underlying problem? The codes read 0325 (KS) and 0125 (coolant temp) but this last one had happened just a few times. My mechanic is stumped too. I ordered a new KS from e-bay. Any thoughts on this kind of trouble?

I have the 1996 Service Manual, and I'm trying to learn as much as possible, also on this forum.
Quote:

that sounds like a MAF.......KS isn't going to do what you're describing
Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by xkazik
So i decided to change my Ks about 2 weeks ago, when i changed it my new Ks gave me worse millage then my old one, today i decided to switch them back and see what happens . my max eats gas like crazy on the last quoter i did 15 miles around city and its close to empty . i have no idea whats wrong ? i didn't tithin the bolt with spec . can this be the problem. can someone tell me how hard the Ks should be bolted on. i dont mean the torque because i didnt take off the manifold , i just want to know if you just get the bolt a lil or hard . anyone has any ideas what can solve this problem ?
is it running rough?

like you have a vacuum leak or line disconnected? stalling etc..etc..?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 AM

i just install my ks but when i tight it with an open end wrench it does not want to sit straight it slides towars the front of the car is that problem?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:59 AM

if your car threw a coolant temp code than your problem is probly that sensor. I had similar problems, loss of power suddenly and stalling and the coolant temp sensor was the culprit . Its cheap and easy to do right by thermostat housing.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:32 PM

ya the coolant sensor has cause vary strange engine control problems, I would put a new KS and New coolant sensor.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by j2b4osan
if your car threw a coolant temp code than your problem is probly that sensor. I had similar problems, loss of power suddenly and stalling and the coolant temp sensor was the culprit . Its cheap and easy to do right by thermostat housing.
Originally Posted by MaxGordon7
ya the coolant sensor has cause vary strange engine control problems, I would put a new KS and New coolant sensor.
I believe you are right. I found the same thing on an old thread of 2004 with this title:
Knock Sensor and Engine Coolant Temp Sensor problems

A new KS is on its way to me. It takes about a month, as it did with the O2 sensors my friend sent me from the USA. Now I'm looking for a ECTS (coolant temp sensor) but I get two models at Autozone: one for a 3/32 terminal, one for a 1/8 terminal. Which do I need? On ebay I can get a ECTS at remartautoparts with only this specification:
"93-02 Infinity Q45 Nissan Maxima 300Z Temp Sensor"

I want to avoid buying new parts while having to wait for a month for them to get here and then find out I got the wrong size.

Does anybody know a brand and modelnumber I can send my friend to the store with?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
that sounds like a MAF.......KS isn't going to do what you're describing
It took a while to get the parts from the US and get the shop to to the replacement of the ks and ects. It took me about one tank of gas to get the stalling and rough idle back. I can sometimes keep the engine running by giving more gas, but it's freaking me out when I loose the power steering while cornering. The engine jerks and holds back when running 1500+ rpm, and randomly stalls while idling at 600 rpm. Now what? Is the MAF still the best bet?