4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Soo i got hit and the....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 AM

Soo i got hit and the....

asswipe drove away!!!!!!

around 3:40 am last night i am driving home north bound on rt, there is a bend in the road to the left im all the way in the right lane and out of nowhere i 2 door 02-05 accord bounces of my car.. At first im startled, but he keeps driving as if nothing happens.

So i go after himhi9 beaming trying to get him to pull over, nothing!! i try pushing him over to the shoulder nothing!!!! i try road blocking him NOTHING!! so finally called 911 and gave them the plate numbers and it matched the car. i didnt want to pull over just because they can say it was never them or the car was stolen but they said u must stop now and go back to where ti happened and call a number they gave me for the local cops to come. So i did...

cop comes takes all the info down and then starts questing if im high or drunk which im neither, and gives me the alphabet test form c to s. I was like this is ridiculous..

Now anyone been in my situation...the cop wrote up police report which will be available in 3-5 days... whats the chances of me getting my money for the car damage..

Oh ya the damage is not severe i can buff it out with lacquer and polish )))) no dents.... it starts at my driver rear quarter panel all the way to my driver side mirror... he mite as well be blamed for my rear bumper too...

anyway just want to know since he was not at the scene he fled... they found an address to where the car registered can the case be not valid by them saying it wasn't them???
Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 AM
I love lamp.

Do you have underinsured coverage? Likely that is your best bet. BUT if you do claim, it's likely your rates would go up. It it's just a small scuff that can be buffed, you might not need to report it. You should see what the police come up with...go after the guy's insurance. For now just leave the damage alone until you get at least the report.

S
Old 06-22-2008, 12:06 PM

im not going to call my isnuace and oepn the claim, im going to w8 for the polie report than im going to call my insurnace so they can track down his insurnace information and then im going to go after his myself. I been in accdients before but never a hit and run so i dunno how much more difficult it will be.

im deff going to keep my dmgs in site im not buffing anything off.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:29 PM

the guy was probably drunk and never saw it happen or saw you trying to have him pull over. they might track him down and see the damage on his car to comfirm the accident, but probably not catch him in time to see if he was drunk at the time. I find that's the part that sucks.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM

well cop told me, they will send officers to his house to give him a ticket for leaving scene of an accidents. And he deffintatly knew he hit me they wouldnt look at me when i tried getting their attention.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Hopefully he has damage on his car that can be matched up with your damage. If he has no damage, he will likely deny it and it will be your word against his. His insurance company won't take responsibility if there is no damage on the Accord.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:43 PM

damn yo i hate hit and run's. it happened to my managers 07 camry and i was in the car. we were at a light and dis black dude in a new mustang gt just backed up into us outta nowhere so i jumped outta da car and he burned rubber and flew but an off duty cop took his plate number and we called the cops. and his insurence fixed our car and actually other day i saw him and i put ma window down so he can see me and he looked away. lol wat a ***** he is.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 PM

Take pictures of the damage. Was their any of the perp's paint on your car?

I had a similar situation, a hit and run on the parkway by the oranges. I was driving home from work, and a 18 year old kid and his g/f were driving their wrangler and side swiped my car. I immediately called 911, followed the driver while giving car, license, driver description, passenger description and mile marker. All the while honking the **** out of him and high beaming him ( his girlfriend kept looking back at me and back at the driver, so they knew). State police showed up, inspected the damage and i gave them all the information that i gave dispatch. (Don't forget to take pictures of the damage). Even though I have basic insurance, I still reported the incident to my insurance for record keeping. I called the cop 3 weeks later, and he tells me that he visited the kid (bloomfield) and cited him reckless, careless, and leaving the scene of an accident. The cop told me that the kid "thought" he hit "debris" on the road. I guess "debris' these days looks like a 98 Maxima. The cop also told me that the kid tried to buff out the damage. So I called the kids insurance, got the damage appraised and received a check within two weeks of the appraisal.

So:

1: Call you insurance and just tell them.
2: Keep following up with the Edison PD
3: Once you get the police report, file a claim on that guys insurance. (Make multiple copies of the police report)
4: ?
5: PROFIT!
Old 06-22-2008, 05:04 PM

when i was pulling up to him he had the same marks my car white scuff marks on his passenger door. He didnt eat my paint away he left scuff marks on it.... he didnt get to deep into the clearcoat to do heavy dmg... cop told me they will have cops go out to his place to cite him i dunno when? The town that got my reprot was not my town it was N. Brunswick so should i call them tomorrow to see if there was any visits made to that person house?
Old 06-27-2008, 07:53 PM

update??