4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

In-Dash mp3 player

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In-Dash mp3 player

I want to add an mp3 player to my system in the compartment on the dashboard. I talked to some people at a car audio shop in my town, and they said that with the Bose system, it would be really hard to install an mp3 player without re-wiring the whole system (and taking out the old reciever). I do not want to do this, and I was looking into FM modulators. What are your thoughts on this, and is it compatible with the Maxima antenna? Thanks a lot!

Shawn
Old 11-05-2001, 11:56 PM

Re: In-Dash mp3 player

Originally posted by djshawnee
I want to add an mp3 player to my system in the compartment on the dashboard. I talked to some people at a car audio shop in my town, and they said that with the Bose system, it would be really hard to install an mp3 player without re-wiring the whole system (and taking out the old reciever). I do not want to do this, and I was looking into FM modulators. What are your thoughts on this, and is it compatible with the Maxima antenna? Thanks a lot!

Shawn
Your car audio shop is just trying to get extra $$$. All you need to do is take out the stock bose deck, put in a wireing harness and slap in the new deck with a dash kit to cover up the big hole. Thats what I did, and it works perfectly. You DO NOT have to re-wire the whole car. Go to a different shop to have it done, I dont trust them.

Kirk
Old 11-06-2001, 01:30 AM

Re: In-Dash mp3 player

I do not want to do this, and I was looking into FM modulators. What are your thoughts on this, and is it compatible with the Maxima antenna? Thanks a lot!
Yeah it would work fine if ya wanna go that route. Basicly it is compatible with any radio, thats the benefit of them. Many people run this setup also for things like cd changers on other radios. Should not be a problem.

SuDZ
Old 11-06-2001, 04:52 AM

Is there a way to install it without taking out the Bose system? I want both to work, and I have looked into FM Modulators, but I am not sure if it will work with the Maxima antenna (The modulator hooks up at the antenna lead wire). Then I would just have to turn to a radio station to listen to the mp3 player.
Old 11-06-2001, 06:37 AM

Aren't you concerned about the degradation in sound quality with the FM modulator?? You're basically, stripping the near CD quality that the MP3 can give down to FM stereo capability. The 20Hz to 20Khz range automatically gets chopped to 20Hz to 15KHz. Not to mention dynamic range. I know, in a car, how much dynamic range can you really appreciate? I fi were you, I would suggest connecting your additinal MP3 to the BOSE via the CD changer connector.

Although I haven't used them myself, this copany claims to be able to connect any CD changer to your BOSE via their own harness;

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/oem/oemchangers.htm

Hope this helps.

DW

Is there a way to install it without taking out the Bose system? I want both to work, and I have looked into FM Modulators, but I am not sure if it will work with the Maxima antenna (The modulator hooks up at the antenna lead wire). Then I would just have to turn to a radio station to listen to the mp3 player.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:15 PM

I went to that site, but all they sell is cd changers that work with the Bose system, but I want my mp3 player in the dash to work. Is there a way to get RCA hook-ups with the CD Changer part of the reciever? I don't know what else I can do, other than just go with the FM modulator (and I dont even know if that will work). Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:41 PM

But there **must** be a way to hook up RCA jacks to the CD changer input on the Bose HU. I wish I knew. When I'm ready to upgrade my Bose, I'm either going in thru the CD changer input or replacing the head unit.

DW

I went to that site, but all they sell is cd changers that work with the Bose system, but I want my mp3 player in the dash to work. Is there a way to get RCA hook-ups with the CD Changer part of the reciever? I don't know what else I can do, other than just go with the FM modulator (and I dont even know if that will work). Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 11-06-2001, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
But there **must** be a way to hook up RCA jacks to the CD changer input on the Bose HU. I wish I knew. When I'm ready to upgrade my Bose, I'm either going in thru the CD changer input or replacing the head unit.

DW

Just save yourself the headache and get a new deck. Its not like the bose is that great anyway. 1) It has no internal amplification(all the amps are hooked up to the speakers directly) 2)Your mp3 deck will play cd's wont it? 3)Why keep the Bose deck, do you really play tapes in it? 4)It looks like A$$.

Kirk
Old 11-06-2001, 08:38 PM

While we are on this topic

A shop installed my sony headunit over a year ago. When install was finish I tested it out and turned the volume 3 notches up on possible 20. the system was too lound, one more and I start hearing cracking noises. Basicly there was a 3 level volume control: 1=quiet, 2=low, 3=full blast. It was wierd! So I took the car back to the shop and they checked it out and said they need to disable the preamps on the stock bose speakers. I had no clue so I'm like sure, whatever will solve the problem. They did this and ever since - I regret getting an aftermarket headunit and wish I kept my bose. I don't get the loudness I get from my bose or even the loudness I got after installing the headunit before disabling the preamps. What do you guys think can be done - It sound great once and I'd like to bring it back to that without wasting more money. I don't have the bose anymore so I would like to get this one to work right - it hasn't since day one.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:58 PM

Re: While we are on this topic

Originally posted by klubjunkee
A shop installed my sony headunit over a year ago. When install was finish I tested it out and turned the volume 3 notches up on possible 20. the system was too lound, one more and I start hearing cracking noises. Basicly there was a 3 level volume control: 1=quiet, 2=low, 3=full blast. It was wierd! So I took the car back to the shop and they checked it out and said they need to disable the preamps on the stock bose speakers. I had no clue so I'm like sure, whatever will solve the problem. They did this and ever since - I regret getting an aftermarket headunit and wish I kept my bose. I don't get the loudness I get from my bose or even the loudness I got after installing the headunit before disabling the preamps. What do you guys think can be done - It sound great once and I'd like to bring it back to that without wasting more money. I don't have the bose anymore so I would like to get this one to work right - it hasn't since day one.
They must have wired it wrong. I've had no problems with louness on mine. Check to make sure your decks "loud" option is turned on. Im pretty sure you probably have, but just a suggestion. I've found that with my aftermarket deck it is louder than stock.

Kirk
Old 11-07-2001, 05:57 AM

Re: Re: While we are on this topic

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

They must have wired it wrong. I've had no problems with louness on mine. Check to make sure your decks "loud" option is turned on. Im pretty sure you probably have, but just a suggestion. I've found that with my aftermarket deck it is louder than stock.

Kirk
It was loud, that was the problem...having a 3 setting volume control from quiet to extremely loud really sucks. I couldn't stand not being able to adjust the volume to a moderate level I can enjoy when I wanted, so I took it back to the shop and they disabled the preamps. Now, I can control the volume but the maximum loudness before the cracking noise starts to kick in isn't at the same level as before they disabled the preamps and is quite low... Meaning I had it up alot louder even on my stock bose hu, I can't even turn it up 1/2 as loud as I can crank the bose with the new hu before hiss, pop, and crack starts to happen. I don't know if I'm doing a very good job explaining, I'm know nothing about audio.
Old 11-07-2001, 06:01 AM

Yeah, I'll upgrade the HU, just as soon as an aftermarket company makes a double DIN CD receiver that can swallow at least 3 CDs in-dash, and that CD receiver can also play mp3s. Till then, I'm staying stock. Besides, the amps in the speakers are setup that way to give powered EQ to each speaker. Aftermarket does not tune their speakers to my car.

FYI, that CD receiver described above seems to have already appeared in OEM fitments like the new Max. I wonder if it plays mp3s as well. When's Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood etc gonna make 'em??

DW

Originally posted by 1/3There2/3ToGo

Just save yourself the headache and get a new deck. Its not like the bose is that great anyway. 1) It has no internal amplification(all the amps are hooked up to the speakers directly) 2)Your mp3 deck will play cd's wont it? 3)Why keep the Bose deck, do you really play tapes in it? 4)It looks like A$$.

Kirk
Old 11-07-2001, 06:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: While we are on this topic

A shop installed my sony headunit over a year ago. When install was finish I tested it out and turned the volume 3 notches up on possible 20. the system was too lound, one more and I start hearing cracking noises. Basicly there was a 3 level volume control: 1=quiet, 2=low, 3=full blast. ...
Don't know if your case applies but it is an old trick for cheap japanese gear to do just that, especially back in the day. As many of you who own older boom boxes, rack systems, or generally cheap systems, you may notice that the max loudness peaks early on in the volume **** before distortion and severe clipping occur. The thought was to dupe consumers into thinking, "well, if it plays this damn loud at '3', this must be a hugely powerful system because it's not even on '10' on the volume." Couple that with "885W PMPO" from an 18W RMS rack system, some flash LEDs, and you have a supreme dupe.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: While we are on this topic

You, dear sir, have the classic mis-match of electrical components. Very common with Bose systems because the amplification is done in the speakers, instead of at the head unit or separate amp. If you want to have your Bose system matched to your aftermarket HU, then you would need something like the PD-4 from here;

www.linkmeup.com

DW

It was loud, that was the problem...having a 3 setting volume control from quiet to extremely loud really sucks. I couldn't stand not being able to adjust the volume to a moderate level I can enjoy when I wanted, so I took it back to the shop and they disabled the preamps. Now, I can control the volume but the maximum loudness before the cracking noise starts to kick in isn't at the same level as before they disabled the preamps and is quite low... Meaning I had it up alot louder even on my stock bose hu, I can't even turn it up 1/2 as loud as I can crank the bose with the new hu before hiss, pop, and crack starts to happen. I don't know if I'm doing a very good job explaining, I'm know nothing about audio.