4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My car definately starts

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 PM

My car definately starts

Ok, so after starting my car, there is this grinding sound-like following the moment it starts. It would sound like someone is running/pushing/using a fork swiftly over a grater(kitchen utensil). It sounds for a quick 8 seconds and kinds of slows down and stop before hitting the 8 second mark.After that, I'm fine and dandy and i can drive wherever and get back safe without any problem.It's also a some-time-ish POS............because i went over a friends house to let him hear it, and wat do you know.....it kept its sorry **** quiet. Any help appreciated.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:25 PM

Could be the starter whining. If it is, it is a sign that is is on its way out. How many miles are one the (assuming OEM) starter? There is a re-greasing how-to in the stickies that will fix it, or you need to consider getting another starter handy.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:07 AM
oem ftw!

From what you describe, it sounds like typical cold start timing chain rattle. I get it too, but it only lasts for 1-2 seconds, longer if the oil needs to be changed. When's the last time you changed your oil? The next time you go to start the car, have someone do it for you while you listen out by the passenger side of the engine. If the noise comes from that area, then you know that's likely what it is. Changing the timing chain tensioner can be a PITA, because the working space is cramped, you basically have to work blind, and it's possible for parts of it to drop into your timing cover if you don't take it out carefully .
Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 AM

I agree sounds more like the timing chain rattle and you could use with a new tensioner and guide. painful aggravating install, a shop might not charge you that much to do it, but who knows if they'll do a good job and not screw up your motor. If you have the tools and the know how I'd say tackle it....after you confirm for sure the noise is the timing chain ratlling on start up
Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I agree sounds more like the timing chain rattle and you could use with a new tensioner and guide. painful aggravating install, a shop might not charge you that much to do it, but who knows if they'll do a good job and not screw up your motor. If you have the tools and the know how I'd say tackle it....after you confirm for sure the noise is the timing chain ratlling on start up

Have someone else start it, you stand under the hood on the pass side, take a screw driver and just hold it on the timing case cover, hold your fist around it and place your ear on your hand, I bet you hear it louder and clearer.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:07 PM

99BlackMaxMS;6513591]Could be the starter whining. If it is, it is a sign that is is on its way out. How many miles are one the (assuming OEM) starter? There is a re-greasing how-to in the stickies that will fix it, or you need to consider getting another starter handy.
Well at first i thought it was the starter until i notice that even when idling i still hear it, but not loud as the 6-8 quick quick seconds after the car starts.

From what you describe, it sounds like typical cold start timing chain rattle. I get it too, but it only lasts for 1-2 seconds, longer if the oil needs to be changed. When's the last time you changed your oil? The next time you go to start the car, have someone do it for you while you listen out by the passenger side of the engine. If the noise comes from that area, then you know that's likely what it is. Changing the timing chain tensioner can be a PITA, because the working space is cramped, you basically have to work blind, and it's possible for parts of it to drop into your timing cover if you don't take it out carefully .
Cold start chain rattle, hmm, sounds like a possibility now that i realize i hear it softly when the car is idling.I changed oil about 4kmiles ago. I havent been able to have someone else start it for me, but even after starting it myself and listening closely with the hood closed, i hear it louder on the passenger side of the car, so i agree that its the chain 4real. Ok, so does this mean the chain needs to change or what. I cudda sworn i overheard once that the we had timing chains which is true and that unlike a timing belt, the chain doesnt need changing. Clear this up for me and let me know what exactly you really recommend.

I agree sounds more like the timing chain rattle and you could use with a new tensioner and guide. painful aggravating install, a shop might not charge you that much to do it, but who knows if they'll do a good job and not screw up your motor. If you have the tools and the know how I'd say tackle it....after you confirm for sure the noise is the timing chain ratlling on start up .
oKay, imma confirm once more to make sure that its the the left side of the engine under than metal cover to the side. From the look of that space, i can tell its gonna be a PITA. Has anyone done this...(by chance a write-up) and know what exactly it takes. Also, the parts that wud be needed for this job is simply a tensioner and a guide correct.? Would advance have these, or where would you guys recommend.?

Have someone else start it, you stand under the hood on the pass side, take a screw driver and just hold it on the timing case cover, hold your fist around it and place your ear on your hand, I bet you hear it louder and clearer. .
I will definately do this first thing tomorrow to make sure its indeed the timing chain. Your method also sounds like one that would work good.Will keep you guys updated until then.....chime in base on my replies.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:57 PM
oem ftw!

The chain is usually good for the life of the car, but what tends to need replacement is the tensioner. if you're doing it yourself in your driveway, I would just try changing the tensioner first and use your existing guide. keep in mind that it is basically spring loaded and will 'explode' if you don't take it out carefully, with parts of it dropping down into the timing cover. some people insert a paperclip in the hole to keep it compressed and prevent it from popping apart when you try to remove it. To change the guide, you have to remove the timing cover because you can't get it out through the access cover. .

Is your car a 95? for those of us with 95's, the tensioners that nissan currently supplies require replacement of the guide in order to line up/function properly . 96+ already have the updated guide.

edit for picture, to give you an idea of what you have to get to, credit to NmexMAX:

guide is the crescent shaped part on the left, and the tensioner is the part w/ the two bolts, that pushes on the guide to tighten up the chain slack. so to get to the tensioner, you have to take off the black access cover that is closer to the firewall. the water pump is behind the other cover, closer to the radiator.

Last edited by CRiME; 07-12-2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:07 AM

OKAY THEN.!!!.......Imma re-check with the sound tomorrow,update and let you guys know that the sounds is definately from that area and then start hunting for help......i have no experience down and around there AT ALL.Holy ****.......that some deep stuff.I appreciate the picture alot Crime....NmexMAX.BTW, my car is a 99 SE cali-sepc.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax

Have someone else start it, you stand under the hood on the pass side, take a screw driver and just hold it on the timing case cover, hold your fist around it and place your ear on your hand, I bet you hear it louder and clearer.
JtzMax i when my car is warm,i hardly hear the noise. However, im thinking that, even if someone with a maxima that has absolutley no problems with their car hooks/places a screwdriver against the timing chain cover and places their ear on their hand, they will still be able to hear the chain moving.Im going to try the same task tomorrow again firt thing tomorrow after starting the car to see if i heard it any louder than today. So far what i do realize is that this noise gets kinda quiet when engine is warm, so i will try tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:30 AM

So i have been reading and talking with some person on the org and learning at the same time, that the tensioner has something to do slightly with oil level/prssure somehow.From my understanding, it could aslo sound like my car has burned oil causing the level to drop thus not creating as much pressure as needed. Chime in people and let me know if this makes any sense. Also, if you do agree with the oil issue, a car with 140k and had oil changed say 4k ago, what oil would you guys recommend, how many bottles of it and will i need new filter.Thanx Guys!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Snypa
So i have been reading and talking with some person on the org and learning at the same time, that the tensioner has something to do slightly with oil level/prssure somehow.From my understanding, it could aslo sound like my car has burned oil causing the level to drop thus not creating as much pressure as needed. Chime in people and let me know if this makes any sense. Also, if you do agree with the oil issue, a car with 140k and had oil changed say 4k ago, what oil would you guys recommend, how many bottles of it and will i need new filter.Thanx Guys!!!!
Have you ever changed your oil or have you only had your car for 4k miles? If you use cheap standard oil you should change it every 3k at the latest.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Whatchyou say?

^^^^ agreed! I use Castrol GTX and still change every 3k.

As for the noise, can you post a clip of it? Start up (cold and warm) The TC tensioner applies pressure to the TC guide, to hold the chain taughnt (in place). The tensioner (btw ... there are 3 total, but the 1 in question is on the left side of the front of the engine - as noted above, 2 - 14mm bolts) is a hydrulic pin with a spring under it to push it out. So, if the tensioner is bad, the oil level shouldn't matter. I don't think it would impact the noise anyway. If the oil is low, you might hear the cams hitting the valves on the other hand. A clip of the noise would help a lot here! Please ... if I am wrong here, someone with more knowledge step in.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
Have you ever changed your oil or have you only had your car for 4k miles? If you use cheap standard oil you should change it every 3k at the latest.
I have never done the oil change myself. But my g/f took the car to sears at the last change....i think it could do with one now and i plan to attempt it.

^^^^ agreed! I use Castrol GTX and still change every 3k.

As for the noise, can you post a clip of it? Start up (cold and warm) The TC tensioner applies pressure to the TC guide, to hold the chain taughnt (in place). The tensioner (btw ... there are 3 total, but the 1 in question is on the left side of the front of the engine - as noted above, 2 - 14mm bolts) is a hydrulic pin with a spring under it to push it out. So, if the tensioner is bad, the oil level shouldn't matter. I don't think it would impact the noise anyway. If the oil is low, you might hear the cams hitting the valves on the other hand. A clip of the noise would help a lot here! Please ... if I am wrong here, someone with more knowledge step in..
I am gonna go out there now and start it and record it. The car hasnt been moved or start for the day, so this should hopefully be a good catch-of-the-day.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 AM

OK guys, here ya go.Let me know what y'all think. The noise i heard right after start 3 days ago before i made this thread, ofcoarse didnt happen...that sometime-ish-facker. However still picked up some sound.

http://www.filedropper.com/vn00003
This is the first startup

http://www.filedropper.com/vn00004
This is the 2nd start up 2 mins later.(multiple starts)I couldnt hear the sound i wanted to hear, but the phone picked up this sound.listen carefully.

http://www.filedropper.com/vn00005
This is somewhat the third starup and i placed the phone mic up against the timing chain cover.

Last edited by Snypa; 07-14-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Whatchyou say?

I'm gonna go with my original thought .... TC tensioner. Any backers?

How long has it been doing this? It will only get worse, if you don't fix it soon.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
I'm gonna go with my original thought .... TC tensioner. Any backers?

How long has it been doing this? It will only get worse, if you don't fix it soon.
Did you listen all three vids.? Standing infront the car, you cannot hear a thing, but the phone picked it up. What are brackers.? I heard the funny sound(immediately after start) like two weeks ago, didnt pay it any mind. But it happened the other day and i decided to make a thread on here about it.So yeah, what do you think from here.......is the oil change worth anything trying although it still needs to be done.?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 PM

A tensioner that will need to be changed will make loud noises at start up but usually the first time you start the car and its cold. It will be the loudest then, each time you start it after, especially as oil pressure is building/built up you wont hear it as often.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
A tensioner that will need to be changed will make loud noises at start up but usually the first time you start the car and its cold. It will be the loudest then, each time you start it after, especially as oil pressure is building/built up you wont hear it as often.
OK.....so from my sound files and so, waht do you think.?
Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM

anyone out there.?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I'm reading this I also start thinking if I should do something to the tensioner.
Car has 241000km on it an during the last 20000km (at least) it has made this rattling noise. I can not hear it when starting or driving. But after a while of driving when idle rpm is below 1krpm I can hear a constant rattle. It can even be heard inside the car if I listen for it.

I recently happened to see two Camry V6 taxis standing behind red lights and the rattle from both was much louder than from my max so I just assumed it is normal. Really great thinking!

Oil has been changed every 12-13000km and cheap full synthetic brands have been used. The filter has been replaced every time. Nissan recommends 7500km with mineral oil but in Finland I need oil that allows my car to start in the winter too (maybe mineral oils do that nowadays too). I have never seen any reduction in oil amount in the engine. Never filled a drop so I guess my engine is in good condition. Now I have driven 10500km with the current oil, "total quartz, full synthetic" and the oil is not too dark yet.

If someone has anything to say about this I would be very happy!
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
wants an I35

darron you had your oil changed yet?

i would recommend doing it asap, and doing it yourself.
its pretty easy to do - takes about 15 minutes and all you need is 5 qts and a new filter.