4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Steering Fluid Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Still Learning

Power Steering Fluid Leaking

I have searched and read a few threads regarding the leak on the power steering pump. Several methods were mentioned: 1. Seaform transtune to flush then Mobile1 ATF; 2. flush with new ATF and add some power steering sealer by Lucas.... etc. Which one worked the best for you guys?

The fluid's got about 30% percent left when I noticed it yesterday and the bolts at the bottom by the passenger side tire were all covered with it.

While washing the engine in order to identify where exactly the leak is this morning, I noticed there is a blank connector, see picture. What's that for? I don't remember that I took that one off.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Still Learning

Still waiting for someone to give a suggestion~ Thanks......

Replacing the whole pump is $368 plus shipping OEM, and $168 Aftermarket.
Anyone used aftermarket ones before. Does it really make a difference?
The reason I asked is that I replaced the fan assembly with a aftermarket one, and it's loud!! Since I might not be able to "hear" the pump, anything else that might make me regrat using a atermarket pump?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by haha
Stop crying, the time has come for 4th gen's to self destruct. Quit your *****ing.
WTF? I don't find this funny......

I searched all your posts and found that you either gave false information or made fun of people. Maybe you don't belong here.......

Last edited by t65k3; 07-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear O2 sensor ?? See if something hanging from the back.

-matt
Old 07-27-2008, 05:37 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by t65k3
Still waiting for someone to give a suggestion~ Thanks......

Replacing the whole pump is $368 plus shipping OEM, and $168 Aftermarket.
Anyone used aftermarket ones before. Does it really make a difference?
The reason I asked is that I replaced the fan assembly with a aftermarket one, and it's loud!! Since I might not be able to "hear" the pump, anything else that might make me regrat using a atermarket pump?
an aftermarket pump should be fine.
I'd be a bit more worried about where it is leaking from and where it is leaking on.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by matty
Rear O2 sensor ?? See if something hanging from the back.

-matt
Will check tomorrow morning, thanks.....

Originally Posted by internetautomar
an aftermarket pump should be fine.
I'd be a bit more worried about where it is leaking from and where it is leaking on.
Initial check: from the pump itself. Still need to confirm that before taking any action...

It's leaking onto passenger side Rebound stopper, Knuckle, and Transverse link. I know the fluid is corrosive. But at the meantine, is there anything that can be done to protect those? I have been power-washing the fluid off and putting some grease on.

Thanks~
Old 07-27-2008, 06:44 PM

Check the connection under the power steering bottle. The hose is aluminum if I remember correctly and if over tightened it will crimp and cause a leak. (at least thats what happened with mine) I replaced the hose and that fixed my leak.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by Maxgig
Check the connection under the power steering bottle. The hose is aluminum if I remember correctly and if over tightened it will crimp and cause a leak. (at least thats what happened with mine) I replaced the hose and that fixed my leak.
That's pretty possible too. The fluid might leak along the hose to the pump. I added a bit of fluorescence paint that glows under UV. I will chech it again in a few days to rule out where the leak actually is. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:22 PM

That plug is not for your O2. The O2 plug is about the size of the plug to the right in the photo. Plus its 3 wire. The one you show looks like its 2. I just went and looked at my 96 and cont seem to find a plug that size in that location that isnt a coil pack. Plus I didnt look too hard either.
As for the PSP, I dunno man. Mine went out right at the pulley shaft. Same deal tho, leaking everywhere to the point it got onto the exhaust manifold everytime I would drive, and I didnt want to burst into flames. Hope you find it

NM91
Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by NISSANMAXIMA91
That plug is not for your O2. The O2 plug is about the size of the plug to the right in the photo. Plus its 3 wire. The one you show looks like its 2. I just went and looked at my 96 and cont seem to find a plug that size in that location that isnt a coil pack. Plus I didnt look too hard either.
As for the PSP, I dunno man. Mine went out right at the pulley shaft. Same deal tho, leaking everywhere to the point it got onto the exhaust manifold everytime I would drive, and I didnt want to burst into flames. Hope you find it

NM91
Thanks, bro. It's about a week since I topped the fluid off and added some UV dye. I checked this morning. I could not be 100% sure about the pump is leaking. As a matter of fact, I don't see any traces of UV dye from underneath the car or near the pump. I did notice there's some oil on/in the crack of the rubber cover of the steering rack. Maybe it's leaking from inside there!? The fluid didn't lower a noticeable amount. (I think it's still full.) I will keep an eye on it. Like you said, I don't want to burst into flames as well.

As for that plug, I see bebe has it, too. Look at the last picture of the 1st post. http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-makeover.html
Right at the left upper corner...... Maybe it's just a access point for maintainance.

Thanks.

Last edited by t65k3; 08-01-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:58 AM

I think that plug is for ABS.

EDIT: Credit goes to Jsutter for that info.

Last edited by nhaven; 08-01-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by nhaven
I think that plug is for ABS.

EDIT: Credit goes to Jsutter for that info.
Is it normal that it's not connected? Should I look into it?
Some members mentioned they don't have that?!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:56 AM
Still Learning

An update on this issue:
I have identified that the leak comes from the pump by adding a bit of UV dye into the fluid.
Searched the forum and got a few methods in mind.
Went to Auto parts trying to buy ATF to flush and Lucas to stop leak.
An idea of trying something simple first came from the clerk since it might have bubbles if the flush was not done right (I am yet an amateur)
Bought a bottle of Prestone (stop leak).
When the fluid level came down a bit, I topped it off to cool Max.
Done three times so far. Seems like the leak stopped.
Lucky me the leak was not too bad.
Thanks guys for all the inputs.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:13 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

I just fixed the horrible power steering leak I had mines turned about to be the pressure hose I thought it was the pump and it wasn't so before you spend that type of money on a pump check all the hoses buddy
Old 09-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by t65k3
An idea of trying something simple first came from the clerk since it might have bubbles if the flush was not done right (I am yet an amateur)
Bought a bottle of Prestone (stop leak).
When the fluid level came down a bit, I topped it off to cool Max.
Done three times so far. Seems like the leak stopped.
Oh please don't tell me you actually pured that junk into your system. Basically you've just contaminated your PS system. The only fluid that belongs in that system is PS fluid (ATF), not stop leak crap. And you listened to a CLERK? Gessssss... unreal.
You put a band aid on your problem. When the band aid fails, and they always do, your problem will get worse, but now you have a system full of stop leak junk doing who knows what to your steering rack.

Honestly, I'd replace that pump ASAP and flush the system really good as not to do any more damage.

Don't listen to CLERKS, there is a reason there're called CLERKS and not engineers.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Still Learning

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Oh please don't tell me you actually pured that junk into your system. Basically you've just contaminated your PS system. The only fluid that belongs in that system is PS fluid (ATF), not stop leak crap. And you listened to a CLERK? Gessssss... unreal.
You put a band aid on your problem. When the band aid fails, and they always do, your problem will get worse, but now you have a system full of stop leak junk doing who knows what to your steering rack.

Honestly, I'd replace that pump ASAP and flush the system really good as not to do any more damage.

Don't listen to CLERKS, there is a reason there're called CLERKS and not engineers.
Crap! Crap!
Thanks, bro......

Before I came up with that kind of money for the new pump, should I just keep topping it off with ATF?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Yes....
Old 09-30-2008, 05:15 PM

Agreed. VERY rarely do you find someone that knows what they are doing at auto stores. If its not on the computer monitor staring them in the face, they dont know. (dont mean to offend any clerks out there, but thats the way it is)
Old 09-03-2009, 02:24 PM

My mechanic (a well experienced front end guy) recommended that I try the Lucas PS stop leak. I would never put the cheap $3-4 bottle such as valvoline max life stop leak in there. Hopefully there is a reason this stuff is $10, that it works. My owners manual says to use Genuine Nissan PSFII, but the cover to the PS resevior says Dextron ATF. Given the manual calls for PS fluid, why can't I just use regular PS fluid such as Prestone?
Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM

after the power steering fluid goes into the reservoir what color is it black????
Old 10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
wxm

Originally Posted by RellMaxima
after the power steering fluid goes into the reservoir what color is it black????
Don't know about power steering fluid. I have been using ATF and it is pink.