4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need an electrical guru's help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 PM

Need an electrical guru's help.

Alright, got a set of things that aren't working, and as far as I know they are related.

Gauge Cluster backlight.
Key in ignition chime.
Headlights on engine off chime.

Everything else in the car works. On account of the other two things not working I'm fairly sure it's not my dimmer. Which fuse(s)/relay(s) could be causing this? All my fuses appear to be good, but perhaps I am terribly wrong.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
4th Gen Parts King

Probably is the dimmer switch bad. Both chimes are the same chime device so it's probably unplugged.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM

Under your Dash right by your Left knee (assuming your sitting in the drivers seat) small tan box is the chime. Most likely unplugged or broken. The backlight could be your dimmer, or just slap your guage cluster and see if lights come back on, these clusters are notorious for loose connections.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Under your Dash right by your Left knee (assuming your sitting in the drivers seat) small tan box is the chime. Most likely unplugged or broken. The backlight could be your dimmer, or just slap your guage cluster and see if lights come back on, these clusters are notorious for loose connections.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Negative, not a loose connection, and not an unplugged chimer. I'm surprised that these are not related because on many cars these systems and rear defogger, etc... run through some form of time control module.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jasonaaronfox
Negative, not a loose connection, and not an unplugged chimer. I'm surprised that these are not related because on many cars these systems and rear defogger, etc... run through some form of time control module.
You're thinking of new technology...this is old school stuff.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
You're thinking of new technology...this is old school stuff.
Eh, time control modules are not so new. Maxima's have a body control module. It's like a central hub for relaying and/or changing information. Just didn't know if our vehicles employed one. Three years of working on this car, replacing engine(s), changing electrical components, and I'm stumped on this one.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Eh, time control modules are not so new. Maxima's have a body control module. It's like a central hub for relaying and/or changing information. Just didn't know if our vehicles employed one. Three years of working on this car, replacing engine(s), changing electrical components, and I'm stumped on this one.
Coincidentally, the BCM controls the buzzer in the Max too. Check fuse 40, the key-0in-ignition switch (yellow/black and yellow/blue wire by ignition switch), and also check the door switch. the buzzer only works when the lights are on and the door open, or the key in the ignition and the door is open.

FSM section EL, page 93 is the explaination of how the warnig chime works.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 PM

I also need the guru! Sorry guys still don't have enough posts to make threads. I'm trying to wire up some LED strip courtesy lights, and after I cut the drivers side door wire from the original harness, nothing will turn on from those power wires. The bizzare thing is, I metered it and its giving off power but neither the LED strip or the bulb give off light, both of which do on the passenger door (which still works, so it cant be a fuse, right?). What in the world could this be? 1999 maxima se
Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM

To the OP it may be an ignition switch problem. Your key switch may not be telling the BCM that it is in the off position. With the igntion key in ACC position do the wipers work and the clock turn on? See if the warning chimes work if the key is in ACC position.

1) Ignition key warning buzzer
With the key in the ignition switch in the OFF or ACC position, and the driver’s door open, the warning buzzer
will sound.
2) Light warning buzzer
With ignition switch OFF or ACC, driver’s door open, and lighting switch in 1ST or 2ND position, warning buzzer
will sound.

Last edited by Nopike; 09-23-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:18 PM

Poster #2 sounds like you have 12 VDC at the drivers door that goes to the bulb and ground is provided from the door control module which causes the light to turn on. You may have shorted out the door control module circuit for that light.

If you don't connect to the DCM and just run the other side of the bulb directly to ground does the bulb turn on? Probably not a fuse but you can check F26 (7.5 Amp).
Old 09-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Fixed the buzzers, it was fuse 51 under the hood. Need to work on the guage cluster.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Fixed the buzzers, it was fuse 51 under the hood. Need to work on the guage cluster.
Funny the 1998 FSM does not even show a fuse in that spot. It shows F51 as unused. Glad you fixed it. 95 wiring is probably different.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Poster #2 sounds like you have 12 VDC at the drivers door that goes to the bulb and ground is provided from the door control module which causes the light to turn on. You may have shorted out the door control module circuit for that light.

If you don't connect to the DCM and just run the other side of the bulb directly to ground does the bulb turn on? Probably not a fuse but you can check F26 (7.5 Amp).
I'm going to try that tomorrow. Your saying try using a different ground, right?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Outatime28
I'm going to try that tomorrow. Your saying try using a different ground, right?
Yes just use the regular wire for power but connect the other side of the bulb to any metal portion of the body for ground or any other known ground wire.

If you applied 12VDC directly to the Door control module without a bulb in series with the circuit that would probably damage that signal at the DCM.

Last edited by Nopike; 09-24-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 PM

I still can't find the source of the problem with the dash. The dimmer control isn't receiving power, guage cluster backlight doesn't show up, everything else does. Ashtray light doesn't get power. Everything else in the car works now. Fuse 18 appears to be ok, same with fuse 40. 95 maxima, can't figure it out. Getting so tired of it I'm altering the cluster to add my own LED lights in the meantime. Really hard to drive at night when you have no idea how fast you're going. ^____^
Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 AM

did you ever find out the problem with the cluster? im havnig the same problem
Old 10-12-2010, 01:51 PM

I only have the 98 FSM so may not be the same wirig but check Fuse #18 (7.5amp) in the underdash fuse box and Fuse #66 (15 amp) in the fuse box next to the battery. If you have not checked the fuse box next to the batttery that is probably where the problem lies.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need guru help. Sorry, not enough posts for a thread.

1999 Maxima SE. Wipers stopped working once after I accidentally turned on and off the wiper switch to fast while driving at night. Then suddenly they began working again days later. They worked again for about a week, then they went out for good. I checked the related fuse, and wiper switch with ohm meter for continuities per a Haynes manual, and these are fine. I verified the wiper relay works correctly with a 12V supply and ohm meter. I am now focusing on the Body Control Module thinking I may have stressed a circuit in the BCM. I plan to pull the BCM and use the model number to look for a replacement.

Any hickups besides disconnecting the negative battery terminal when replacing the BCM? Does the BCM have to be configured for the remote door locks - ie. does it have a receiver in it for the remote key transmitter? Are there any other items for preparing the BCM - possibly a reset or a software load or something?

Thanks.