4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ground plug help plz ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
Whatchyou say?

Ground plug help plz ...

Ok ... I noticed that I have a ground plug coming off of the drivers side fender under the hood, but can't find where it goes. It's a single slip over type connector and the total wire length is just long enough to reach around the starter area (maybe 12" in length toatal). I just don't see where it goes though. Anybody have any ideas ??? Also, on a simmilar note - cause I think it's a grounding issue - my car decides when it wants to start, and when it doesn't. And to top it off ... it will die while driving (not often, but it is getting worse) but it starts right back up. Strange thing of it is ... it kills all my presets on my head unit so that makes me think G problem. I don't know if they are related or not (I would assume so) but I just don't know. I had the bat checked and it is "ok" according to O'rileys. They did tell me that I seem to have a spotty connection of sorts ... like I didn't already know that . lol

I suspect my starter solinoide but I am not certain. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 PM

pics?
Old 07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Whatchyou say?

uuummmmm, can't at the moment, camera is dead ...
Old 07-24-2008, 06:14 PM
No more Maximas...

Goes to the trans. Very end of the case, closest to the driver's side. Look around, there should be a spade terminal there somewhere.

It shouldn't be causing those problems though, I completely removed mine a long time ago.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 PM

Hmm, what are the symptoms when it doesn't start? Occasionally I turn my key all the way and my radar detector and power inside the car cuts out like it normally should when you are on the starter, however nothing happens at all. Sometimes I have to slam the key to the start position 5 or 6 times before the starter will engage, is this the same problem you are having?

If your radio station presets are going out on you as well, definitely sounds like a major grounding issue.

If it is related to this wire you speak of, maybe if worse comes to worse (if you know for sure it is a grounding wire, and the end that you can see plugs into something) then you could possibly cut the wire, drill a hole somewhere and just ground it.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Whatchyou say?

Well ... I don't know that the problem is fixed ... but it seems to be all good now. Replaced the starter solinoide and she fired right up (several times so far!). Time will tell if this was the fix I needed, but for now I am happy.

As for the G wire to the trans .... I just wasn't sure where the hell it went and if it's not needed (which it doesn't seem to be) I am not going to worry about it. Thanks Pmohr! It was one of those ... wtf is this? deals. lol

Cheers ... Mod can close this thread if wanted.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:45 PM

Modeanf1--I had the same problem for a LONG time. I finally decided that the key cylinder flange wasn't pushing the ignition switch all the way over. I put a tiny piece or electrical tape in the slot on the ignitiion switch to eliminate the slop, and it's been fine (for more than 6 months now).