4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima refuses to start

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Addicted to the Org

Maxima refuses to start

Well, after searching and reading threads all day and playing around with advance auto parts, I give up. My car has been struggling to start over the past couple of weeks. It has gotten worse. I had my charging system tested this morning. It showed that everything was ok. I then tried to crank it, and of course it was acting ghey. I keep leaning towards the starter. I have watched videos on youtube, and mine doesn't seem to act like those. Anyways, I have swallowed my pride and uploaded a video of mine. Someone please help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPVAvjUvtZ8
Old 08-09-2008, 05:58 PM

have you added a ground yet?
I had the same problem and did all the stuff that was suggested ,and though it got better, it was still there.
the fix...I bought a higher amp battery and its been 3 or 4 months and no problems
hope this helps
Old 08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
No more Maximas...

A ground is definitely a good idea, run a wire from the negative post of the battery to a ring terminal on one of the bolts that secures the starter.

While it could be the starter (intermittent contact internally, or a number of other minor things), it sounds more like the traditional bad ground starting issue.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Addicted to the Org

I have a 2 month old Optima battery that tested great along with the alternator. I have read everything from ect,cps(pos,ref), cam sensor, ignition switch, inhibtor relay. I have checked all fuses. When I got home today from advance, I turned off the car. I then proceeded to crank 3 or 4 times in which it turned over and cranked fine. After a couple of hours, I went outside and tried to crank. Thats when I came back inside to grab the camera.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Banned

i just looked at a few vids on the tube and seems like a lot of people are having this problem. maybe an issue with fuel delivery or spark?

Last edited by allensteiner21; 08-10-2008 at 03:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
I have a 2 month old Optima battery that tested great along with the alternator. I have read everything from ect,cps(pos,ref), cam sensor, ignition switch, inhibtor relay. I have checked all fuses. When I got home today from advance, I turned off the car. I then proceeded to crank 3 or 4 times in which it turned over and cranked fine. After a couple of hours, I went outside and tried to crank. Thats when I came back inside to grab the camera.

when I replaced mine my battery checked ok but I was at the end of my rope so to say so I bought a 850cca battery.I had a 550 or 650 dont remember exactly,but anyway I have not had that problem since.
did they do a load test on the battery or just a charging system check?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:18 PM

i have the same problem
Old 08-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by alset2
when I replaced mine my battery checked ok but I was at the end of my rope so to say so I bought a 850cca battery.I had a 550 or 650 dont remember exactly,but anyway I have not had that problem since.
did they do a load test on the battery or just a charging system check?
Yes, they did a load test, charging test, drain test. Everything checked out ok. I am trying to add a ground, but cannot see where. I see the power wire, and I see the little wire that plugs into a harness. I also see the 2 bolts that keeps it in place. I do see a bolt and nut that is almost beside the little wire. Am I supposed to ground it there?? I am not seeing anything else.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:33 PM
No more Maximas...

Yes, they did a load test, charging test, drain test. Everything checked out ok. I am trying to add a ground, but cannot see where. I see the power wire, and I see the little wire that plugs into a harness. I also see the 2 bolts that keeps it in place. I do see a bolt and nut that is almost beside the little wire. Am I supposed to ground it there?? I am not seeing anything else.
You ground it to the bolts that hold it to the trans. If you hook up a ground wire to the nut/stud that hold the B+ wire in place, you'll blow out a fuse quite quickly. That's a direct feed from the battery going to that post.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:33 PM

ground it to the starter mounting bolt,NOT the little bolt on the selonoid iirc that is hot.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
You ground it to the bolts that hold it to the trans. If you hook up a ground wire to the nut/stud that hold the B+ wire in place, you'll blow out a fuse quite quickly. That's a direct feed from the battery going to that post.
+1

just run a grounding wire block-tranny housing-starter bolt-body or chassy-negative cable

Last edited by pahaf; 08-10-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:15 AM

does black smoke come out after the car finally starts? if it does check the fpr vacuum line.. if gas comes out of there its bad and needs to be replaced...
Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Addicted to the Org

i have not checked the fpr yet. Couple of questions, I have looked on the tranny and cannot see anywhere I can ground the starter to. Where can I ground at? On a side note, after I cleaned my egr tube,tb,iacv I received a p1105 code. I did find a little vacuum hose that had broke off. I replaced, and the code came back. Last night I noticed this hose that appears to have broken off from under the tb. I have searched everywhere trying to find where this goes. No luck on searching. Here is a pic of the tb. The pic is upside down so the hose I am talking about is on the top middle of the tb. It still has the rubber on it. Is there anyway possible that this p1105 is related to my starting issues?? After I got rid of the p0400 code I thought I was done. Apparently not though

Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by allensteiner21
sounds like the ignition timing is off...personal experience but on a different car. i just looked at a few vids on the tube and seems like a lot of people are having this problem. maybe an issue with fuel delivery or spark?
What makes you think timing .... just wondering. I have never heard of such a thing .... on a VQ, so I don't really agree.

To the OP:
You might try and replace the starter solinoide ... my 98' did this to me for a couple of months, then just refused to start. It would star if I put it on the charger, let it sit for a bit, then hit it ..... but the bat was charged and tested fine. My problem ended up being the solinoide, $30 at AutoZone and a 5 min job ... works great! Worth a try I guess. I'd say for certain that it is NOT your timing though.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:25 AM

i have not checked the fpr yet. Couple of questions, I have looked on the tranny and cannot see anywhere I can ground the starter to. Where can I ground at? On a side note, after I cleaned my egr tube,tb,iacv I received a p1105 code. I did find a little vacuum hose that had broke off. I replaced, and the code came back. Last night I noticed this hose that appears to have broken off from under the tb. I have searched everywhere trying to find where this goes. No luck on searching. Here is a pic of the tb. The pic is upside down so the hose I am talking about is on the top middle of the tb. It still has the rubber on it. Is there anyway possible that this p1105 is related to my starting issues?? After I got rid of the p0400 code I thought I was done. Apparently not though
well the starter is held on by 2 bolts...those that go in the tranny...ground it to those
Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Addicted to the Org

Alright. So I return from Advance Auto parts. They tested my starter, and it appears bad. There is a meter on the tester that shows a green area (14-17 volt) I believe. When they press the button to start, it is supposed to go in the green area and stay there for the full 5 seconds. Mine when they start it doesn't quite make it to the green area to begin with, it goes up to around 12 then drops down to 5. He says that it is infact engaging but not holding its voltage. So I'm guessing I might need to change the whole starter and not just the solenoid?? I did just put the starter back in and added a 4gauge ground to it. I'm going to install my intake crap back together and see what happens. What about the hose under the throttle body?? Anybody know what its suppose to go to???
Old 08-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Addicted to the Org

Great news. After putting everything back together, I'm in business. I started it 3 or 4 times. It starts like new!!!!!!!!!! So just by adding a ground to it, it made all the difference in the world. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this. All I need now is getting my cel off. I'm still convinced its that hose under the throttle body. Anybody care to go out to their car and trace it down for me.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:44 PM

ok , i just went out and looked at mine for you and mine looks exactly like yours. I mean it goes to nothing. maybe its a vent of some kind.
hope this helps
Old 08-10-2008, 01:56 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by alset2
ok , i just went out and looked at mine for you and mine looks exactly like yours. I mean it goes to nothing. maybe its a vent of some kind.
hope this helps
That's a rubber vacuum cap, not a vent or broken hose.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

[quote=JtzMax;6566622]What makes you think timing .... just wondering. I have never heard of such a thing .... on a VQ, so I don't really agree.

i wrote after listening to his vid, reminded me of something from the past should've deleted it not to look like a clown though, you're right

then i made a comment about the fuel or spark which was meant to be a separate stetement...i'll just go fix it.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 AM

Great news. After putting everything back together, I'm in business. I started it 3 or 4 times. It starts like new!!!!!!!!!! So just by adding a ground to it, it made all the difference in the world. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this. All I need now is getting my cel off. I'm still convinced its that hose under the throttle body. Anybody care to go out to their car and trace it down for me.
glad i can help....i had the same problem and people helped me a lot....now you know what to do, pass the word along..

(man i feel smart lol)
Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM

yea im having trouble lately too mine seems to be intermitten like sometimes its no problem to start and sometimes it is so i dunno im going to check my ground wires today pain in my a$$
Old 08-11-2008, 02:19 PM

there is a grounding wire stock, but it can get rusted. so clean that as well when u can...i used wd40 and then some sand paper....