4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP with suspension!! [stock]

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM

I'd suggest you remove the nut and inspect the damage, but first remove the strut from the car. Remove the strut and use some vice grips (and a rag so as not to damage it, even though the strut is probably toast anyway) on the strut rod to steady it while you crank off the nut (or if you have an impact gun that will work too). Make sure to compress the spring before you start cranking the nut off.

The strut rod should NOT be turning with the nut. The way they prevent this happening is instead of making the strut rod round, they give it an extruded "D" shape (check out the picture I provided, there is a flat spot on the threads, that's the flat part of the D) to fit through the "D" hole in the strut mount. This acts as a "key" to anchor the strut rod so you don't have to use any stupid vice grips to tighten it. Your threads have gnawed the flat part of the "D" away and then some, so there's no longer anything keeping the strut rod rotationally anchored.

The bright side? New strut, new strut mount and you're done.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 AM

^^^^^ just to make clear about compressing the spring.....

there is a tool called a "strut/spring compressor" (imagine that!!lol)
it is very important that you use this and use it properly!!!!
taking struts apart has caused many injuries and sometimes death.
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!
I am not trying to scare you I just thought it should be addressed
Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Yeah, if you don't have spring compressors go rent them from autozone or kragen. And then use them.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM

when I worked at the car shop we used the lifts to compress the springs)) That was in Bulgaria though.
One thing that I know helps a lot is to have an air compressor and tools. They are always of great use and help. Some times we only used them to do struts without compressing the spring
Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM

I have done it by having a big guy lean on the spring and I'd hit the nut with an impact gun, but compressors are the proper way to do it
Old 08-22-2008, 09:40 PM

i've heard of a "quick strut" that i can buy, and evidently i do not need to compress the spring or anything. and as an added bonus, while i'm in there taking the assy. apart, i can have all new parts and it's not that much more expensive. what brands would you all suggest?

EDIT: keep in mind i have an SE. i am fairly certain that makes a difference. for what it's worth, Tokico made the struts currently on my car

EDIT2: is monroe the only company that makes a pre-assembled full strut assembly? google is being lame

Last edited by tyler5619; 08-22-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:11 AM

if I remember right Tokico also has something like that. But the Monroe Sensa-Trac quick assembly is the most common one. I have Sensa-Trac's right now and they are ok but not the best. not sure about the SE. I don't think the Monroe will work.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by alset2
What I have found is if its on the passanger side its usaully the rear LCA bushing which you can replace buy removing three bolts and it takes less than a 1/2 hour total.
I would suggest you look into replacing all of them with an energy suspension set (about 40 bucks) . this is a lot more work but really worth it. you also have the option of buying a whole new control arm and just bolting it up.
there is quite a bit of info on the org if you search.
hope this helps
Found some instructions on change the balljoint or control-arm, it says a balljoint removal tool HT72520000 (J25730-A) is required. What can I do to remove the old balljoint without investing (buying) such a tool for a one-time use ? I am still doing the reading and not yet start the actual work. I have fixing things under the hood but never did by myself a single thing under the car, not sure if this is a DIY job ?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by djipka
if I remember right Tokico also has something like that. But the Monroe Sensa-Trac quick assembly is the most common one. I have Sensa-Trac's right now and they are ok but not the best. not sure about the SE. I don't think the Monroe will work.
i know the sensatracs were already on your car when you bought them, but where would you suggest buying them? more importantly, where would you NOT buy them? ebay? amazon? ORLY's wants 284 per strut...as does AAP...autozone.com has never heard of them lolz
Old 08-23-2008, 10:26 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by tyler5619
i know the sensatracs were already on your car when you bought them, but where would you suggest buying them? more importantly, where would you NOT buy them? ebay? amazon? ORLY's wants 284 per strut...as does AAP...autozone.com has never heard of them lolz
That price is about right, since you're paying for the convenience & ease of installation. If you do need to change the struts & or mounts/bearings, don't bother with the sensatrac kit. Spend $40 on some spring compressors and don't be afraid to use them, it's not that bad at all - tighten a few bolts, remove the strut shaft nut, replace the strut and you're done.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Yeah I would say the same thing. Unless You have to change the mounts and all I would just get the struts and change them. Now there is the thing that "time is money" so if you are like me sometimes its cheaper to save time than money. Thats when the quick strut is worth it.
From my looking around I thing AAP had a good price on them.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hinoi30
Found some instructions on change the balljoint or control-arm, it says a balljoint removal tool HT72520000 (J25730-A) is required. What can I do to remove the old balljoint without investing (buying) such a tool for a one-time use ? I am still doing the reading and not yet start the actual work. I have fixing things under the hood but never did by myself a single thing under the car, not sure if this is a DIY job ?
Hey, do you think that you can post those instructions on changing the balljoint and control arm? I'm having a similiar problem and I suspect its definitely something with the LCA. Just got my first max a week ago. 99GLE. Trying to do as much research as possible. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:39 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by ChrisBkQns13
Hey, do you think that you can post those instructions on changing the balljoint and control arm? I'm having a similiar problem and I suspect its definitely something with the LCA. Just got my first max a week ago. 99GLE. Trying to do as much research as possible. Thanks.
The LCA repair is here:
http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/348507/15

It's a great write up. Good luck with the work and welcome to the site!
Old 09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by CRiME
The LCA repair is here:
http://maxima.cardomain.com/ride/348507/15

It's a great write up. Good luck with the work and welcome to the site!
Thanks. You weren't kidding. Those pictures really help too. Shouldn't be too hard with these instructions to follow.