4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Key ring light + door open dome not working

Old 08-25-2008, 03:29 AM

Key ring light + door open dome not working

Alright all you tronic heads.. give me a hand here with my 99 GXE!

My key ring light and the auto on feature of the center dome are not working. This is not a fuse issue as I have checked the fuses and the dome light still works if its switched on manually.

Here is what I suspect could be the culprit..

Interior LED replacements / Courtesy light, Dimmer Switch, Gear Selector, Security light, Boards in map lights

Cruise control switch on dash is currently not working.. messed it up doing the light mod. Got a new one ordered but I dont think this is the issue.. it wouldnt be tied in with the problems.

Door chime box has been removed, I busted it after removing it to work under the dash. It had a tiny piezo disk and a board in it with a few electronic gizmos.

Could it be possible that the selector on the dome light simply isnt working on the auto side?

The reason I suspect these things is because this is what was going on when the problem arose. I'm willing to investigate anything you guys can reccomend. Thanks in advance
Old 08-25-2008, 05:14 AM

I don't think it's just a problem with the dome light. It isn't usually coincidence when your electronics in the car malfunction at the same time. I had a problem in the past concerning the car's BCM (body control module). My problem, however, consisted of the interior lights not going off, including the key ring light, when I shut the door. Although this was my only problem, you can usually depend on the BCM for those weird electrical problems.

I might be wrong bc my problem was based on a timing mechanism inside the BCM, but it's always a possibility with your problem.

Oh and it's def not because you replaced everything with LED's. You make have shorted the circuit doing so and you may not have known that until now.

Wait for others opinions on here first, but the only real way to test to see if it's the BCM is to replace it unfortunately.

Last edited by shissqbob; 08-25-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:25 AM

Thanks for the advise shissqbob, I'll research BCM replacement in the forum. If I have to get a used BCM I think it would be best to wait until I have everything complete so as not to risk scewing it up again. I guess this is a risk you take with LED's since you pretty much have to have power to the socket to get your polarity right.

Its as if you had the reverse problem I'm having.. crazy computers lol
Old 11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
The Golden One

I'm having the same problem. Anyone? My auto dome light doesn't work, but manual works. My door lights work, my map light works, my other interior lights work, but my key ring does not.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 PM

hey ilayk. does your dome light (when set to the middle position) go off when you shut the door? How about go off when you hit the lock button?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
The Golden One

If it's in the middle it doesn't do anything. It only works if I manually move the slider to 'always on'. My keyring doesn't turn on anymore either.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
If it's in the middle it doesn't do anything. It only works if I manually move the slider to 'always on'. My keyring doesn't turn on anymore either.
Exactly the same problem I am having.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
The Golden One

Yep.

Anyone have any solutions? I checked the interior fuse and it was fine.

I tried a different way of screwing the actual light assembly into the roof thinking maybe those black little plastic things had to be on a certain side of the assembly but it didn't matter.

I have three switches and all of them do the same thing.

This all started when I tried installed an LED board type thing...I've since gone back to a regular bulb. None of the wires were ever cut...but I did blow a couple of fuses (the board's polarity was wrong).

Did I do something to the wiring?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:30 PM

correct me if I'm wrong but I really don't think nissan protected their computer equipment very well. Well, I take that back. I guess they didn't take into account that a bunch of guys or girls would be sticking led's in their cars 10 years down the road. haha.

Ilyak, worst case scenario: you screwed up your BCM (body control module). If the relay's are fine inside, look under the hood to see if there are any relays labeled anything to do with the interior. my bet is the BCM tho.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 PM
The Golden One

How do you know if a relay is bad?
Old 11-27-2008, 03:37 AM
NameGoesHere

My maplights stopped working. (fuses good)

So....... how do you know if a relay is bad?

damn leds got us all!

***UPDATE*** 12.30.08

My problem was solved by replacing the map light.
I have added leds to the new unit and it works great!

Last edited by NameGoesHere; 12-30-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:57 AM

How do you know if a relay is bad?
You apply pos and neg to the terminals, and then check for continuity accross the other 2 terminals. You should be able to tell by looking at the diagram on the relay to see which needs the current and which is the switch.

So we're blaming this problem on LEDs? Which LEDs? I have this same problem, and Ive got LEDs everywhere....
Old 11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
The Golden One

In my case I was trying to install the dome light LED's. It was like that board you can buy on Paradox-Systems. 24 or so little LED's and the wiring goes to a bulb type base which goes where the original bulb was.

I was told to splice extra wires into the power and ground, so I did that. Must have had them reversed cause I blew a fuse. And since then, it hasn't worked on auto.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM

In my case I was trying to install the dome light LED's. It was like that board you can buy on Paradox-Systems. 24 or so little LED's and the wiring goes to a bulb type base which goes where the original bulb was.

I was told to splice extra wires into the power and ground, so I did that. Must have had them reversed cause I blew a fuse. And since then, it hasn't worked on auto.
Mine happened when I was trying to do the alarm beep mod, I blew something because I shorted it somehow(never got the mod to work ) and since then the auto feature doesnt work... BCM is the only thing we can blame?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
The Golden One

I hope not...
Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 AM

Well its not hard to replace and is relatively cheap... I opened mine up a while back and I looked for any signs of shorts. Nothing, it looked clean...
Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 PM
The Golden One

How much they goin for? Can you get any BCM or does it have to be 98 or 99 in my case (I'm a 99). Would a 95-97 work? It seems like some of them have keyless entry and some don't...so I'd need a specific one right?

Last edited by IlyaK; 11-27-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:11 PM

How much they goin for? Can you get any BCM or does it have to be 98 or 99 in my case (I'm a 99). Would a 95-97 work? It seems like some of them have keyless entry and some don't...so I'd need a specific one right?
Thats true. To be honest, I wouldnt be the one to accurately answer that. Leave that to pmohr or fanaticrockford.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 PM

I have a similar problem...My Ash Tray light, and glove box light both went out randomly. And my AC/Heating control lights are out but I don't think that one is related to those two.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Eyce
I have a similar problem...My Ash Tray light, and glove box light both went out randomly. And my AC/Heating control lights are out but I don't think that one is related to those two.
Yes they are probably related. Check under dash fuse #18 (7.5 amp)
and fuse 66 (15 amp) I think that one is under the hood. If those are OK then it could be the lighting switch, I think that is the switch that you adjust how bright your dash lights are.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 PM

As far as key ring and dome lamp not working under dash fuse #26 (7.5 amp) is probably blown.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 PM
The Golden One

Is that the interior lights fuse? If so mine is fine.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:51 PM

As far as key ring and dome light go you are right if fuse was blown it would not work manually. The BCM controls the on/off operation. Too late at night for me to analyze but this info from the FSM may help.

Interior lamp timer operation
When interior lamp switch is in the “DOOR” position, BCM keeps interior lamp and ignition keyhole illumination on for about 30 seconds when:
driver’s door is unlocked while key is out of the ignition key cylinder,
unlock signal is supplied from multi-remote controller (Models with multi-remote control system),
key is withdrawn from ignition key cylinder while driver’s door is closed,
driver’s door is opened and then closed while ignition switch is not in the “ON” position.
The timer is canceled, and interior lamp and ignition keyhole illumination turn off when:
driver’s door is locked, or
ignition switch is turned “ON”.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Is that the interior lights fuse? If so mine is fine.
Yes I think so. It could be a bad BCM or one of the signals going in to the BCM in not correct so the BCM does not respond properly. ......... I'm getting very sleepy too much turkey and beer, maybe I'l try and help tomorrow.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-27-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:01 PM

Oh **** it's now tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:18 PM

Problem could be caused by a faulty driver’s door switch lock switch or the ignition switch. Though a faulty ignition switch would probably also cause other problems.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:32 PM
The Golden One

My car locks, unlocks just fine. And the door lights (in the panel's) work just fine. My switch is fine, no?
Old 11-28-2008, 05:59 AM

My car locks, unlocks just fine. And the door lights (in the panel's) work just fine. My switch is fine, no?
Yes if the door lights turn on when you open the door the switch is fine.

For test purpose you need to get at the red with white strip wire and jump it to ground. Trust me on this. This wire is accessible at the interior lamp switch, key hole or the BCM. Just take a jumper wire and connect it to any good ground and connect the other end to a bare area on the red with white strip wire. The keyhole lamp and interior lamp should turn on when you do this. If they do light up the problem is because you are not getting the correct signal from the BCM. That MAY indicate a faulty BCM.

If the keyhole and interior lamp do not light up when you jump the red with white stripe wire to ground the BCM is probably OK and something in your wiring is causing a problem.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-28-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:03 AM
The Golden One

Okay I'll test that.

Well...I had the dash taken apart today for something else and I didn't see anything near the keyhole with a red/white wire. There was one but it was going into the actual locking mechanism...not the light for the keyhole. I didn't touch it.

Where is the interior lamp switch? The one on the roof that I replaced? Ground that you say?

Last edited by IlyaK; 11-28-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 AM
The Golden One

So here is what I found.

I took the dome light out. Completely disconnected it.

I then took the red/white wire and grounded it to the metal part of the sunroof. Immediately the key ring lit up.

HOWEVER....

Now the key ring is lit up ALWAYS (never goes off...door open, closed, doesn't matter). The dome light will always be on if I leave it in manual or auto. The only way to keep it off is to set it to completely off (right position if sitting in the back seat).

So...is it my BCM?
Old 11-28-2008, 03:54 PM

So here is what I found.

I took the dome light out. Completely disconnected it.

I then took the red/white wire and grounded it to the metal part of the sunroof. Immediately the key ring lit up.

HOWEVER....

Now the key ring is lit up ALWAYS (never goes off...door open, closed, doesn't matter). The dome light will always be on if I leave it in manual or auto. The only way to keep it off is to set it to completely off (right position if sitting in the back seat).

So...is it my BCM?
Does the key ring and Auto interior light go back off when you remove the ground? It should. If so this just proves the circuits are OK. It's either a bad BCM or The BCM is not getting the right input signals to cause it to behave correctly. This test just helps top narrow down the problem it is not meant to solve it.

I'll look some more when I have more time.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nopike
Yes they are probably related. Check under dash fuse #18 (7.5 amp)
and fuse 66 (15 amp) I think that one is under the hood. If those are OK then it could be the lighting switch, I think that is the switch that you adjust how bright your dash lights are.
negatory, 18 and 66 are good.

What do you mean by it could be the lighting switch?

The radio lights work fine and adjust with said switch, but the a/c control lights are completely gone no matter what, the display lights up, but the buttons dont. And the glove compartment/ash tray lights are both out.

Last edited by Eyce; 11-28-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eyce
negatory, 18 and 66 are good.

What do you mean by it could be the lighting switch?

The radio lights work fine and adjust with said switch, but the a/c control lights are completely gone no matter what, the display lights up, but the buttons dont. And the glove compartment/ash tray lights are both out.
Sorry it's getting a little confusing, I've got three people with what cound be three seperate problems in this thread.

Eyce did you cut a Red with Blue stripe wire somewhere to connect a stereo or anything like that. If so that may be the problem. It's hard to tell but the only thing I can think of is that the circuit to the Glove box and ash tray light is broken some where. Sometimes people try to wire in aftermarket radios and cut wires to get power. Check for 12vdc power at the Red with Blue wire at the glove box lamp, you probably have 0VDC. You can try connecting that red/blue wire to anothr red/blue wire that does have power that may fix it, sorry but sometimes these problems get too complicated to explain and fix in this manner.

Last edited by Nopike; 11-28-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
The Golden One

Sorry it's getting a little confusing, I've got three people with what cound be three seperate problems in this thread.
Yes. My problem is the same as the original posted. The other guy I dunno about.

Yes, if I remove that ground wire the keyring and dome light go off (unless the dome is set to ON).

I'll have to start looking for a BCM.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 PM

Yes. My problem is the same as the original posted. The other guy I dunno about.

Yes, if I remove that ground wire the keyring and dome light go off (unless the dome is set to ON).

I'll have to start looking for a BCM.
That just showed that he wiring and the lamps there are OK, it could be the BCM or a signal going to the BCM that causes the keyring and domelight to be turned on the the BCM. Hang on.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 PM

Could be the BCM but do your best to check the following, all of these could effect the operation.
1) interior lamp switch
2)drivers door switch
3) ignition switch.
It would be easy for me to say BCM but I am not totally convinced. It's worth a try to change it to see if it fixes the problem but don't be surprised if it does not. This is a tough one, if something comes to me I'll let you guys know.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:30 AM

Eyce did you cut a Red with Blue stripe wire somewhere to connect a stereo or anything like that. If so that may be the problem. It's hard to tell but the only thing I can think of is that the circuit to the Glove box and ash tray light is broken some where. Sometimes people try to wire in aftermarket radios and cut wires to get power. Check for 12vdc power at the Red with Blue wire at the glove box lamp, you probably have 0VDC. You can try connecting that red/blue wire to anothr red/blue wire that does have power that may fix it, sorry but sometimes these problems get too complicated to explain and fix in this manner.
Well one of them may have been accidentally cut or something while I had my dash apart fixing my Bose HU. No aftermarket stereo equipment in my max though.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:47 AM

Take a good look at the red with blue stripe wires there is a good chance they were cut or disconnected somewhere. Especially when you took the dash apart. That is when the problem started?
Old 12-14-2008, 10:06 PM
The Golden One

Anyone find anything else or fix it? I haven't gotten a BCM yet and still having the problem.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 PM

Nope...no $ to pick up a spare BCM, but Ill let you know if I do!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key ring light + door open dome not working