4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Trouble? Need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:35 PM

--UPDATED-- Suspension Trouble? Need Help ASAP

UPDATED INFO
It seems, that the inner boot I believe is where its disconnected, as I've circled in the photo, so now I need to figure out the easiest way to reconnect this into the tranny/axle, where ever it goes...

Hey, fellow .org members, I need you guys help so bad, I was in the process of installing my KYB GR-2's struts, with the stock springs, and ran into some trouble with the Driver front, I cannot get the Rotor back into the vertical position as seen in the photos me and my dad both messed with it for at least an hour straight, I know the axle couldn't have popped out becuase, when i turn the pass front tire it turns...

Guys Please help me, I dont know what's wrong with it, I've tried everything and I'm without a car..

If any one is local to Cary, NC I would be willing to pay for someone to get this fixed for me.

Driver Front Problem

This is what it should look like (This is the pass front complete)

The Car from further away

I've checked these boot's and nothing feels loose, but havent taken them apart.

Last edited by btvenom; 09-03-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Another Picture of the Driver Front
Old 09-02-2008, 02:40 PM

I think you may need to take the bolts off the other side or loosen the bolts that may help.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM

Are you sure you have the passenger and the drivers side on the correct sides?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM

even though the nut is still there the axle is dislocated inside the boot. it happens and you just have to play with it. grab the spindle where the 2 bolts go through and jam it towards the motor while spinning the rotor.i hope that makes sense it will go back in.....
Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
even though the nut is still there the axle is dislocated inside the boot. it happens and you just have to play with it. grab the spindle where the 2 bolts go through and jam it towards the motor while spinning the rotor.i hope that makes sense it will go back in.....
which boot? I did what your talking about for about an hour, should I keep trying, becuase my dad is on the vurge of just getting the car towed and paying to fix it...

I would love to fix it on my own, but I need to know if something could be damaged inside one of the boots and which one.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Maintenance Monster

Make sure your driver axle hasn't popped out of the tranny. The axle will still turn if it's only engaged partway. The axle stub should not move more than a fraction of an inch in or out of the tranny. If so, pop it back in like this: push the axle in slowly until it stops, then draw it out slowly about an inch and push it in hard and quick. This should pop it in and engage the circlip.

It also looks like the axle itself is extended pretty far at the inner boot. There is a snap ring that holds the CV parts into the axle stub, and all this is covered by the rubber boot. If the snap ring comes loose it can extend too far and get jammed. As long as you can slide the axle in-out of the axle stub that probably hasn't happened.

Dave
Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
Make sure your driver axle hasn't popped out of the tranny. The axle will still turn if it's only engaged partway. The axle stub should not move more than a fraction of an inch in or out of the tranny. If so, pop it back in like this: push the axle in slowly until it stops, then draw it out slowly about an inch and push it in hard and quick. This should pop it in and engage the circlip.

It also looks like the axle itself is extended pretty far at the inner boot. There is a snap ring that holds the CV parts into the axle stub, and all this is covered by the rubber boot. If the snap ring comes loose it can extend too far and get jammed. As long as you can slide the axle in-out of the axle stub that probably hasn't happened.

Dave
well what am i supposed to do if it get's jammed?, I tried rotating it and it wouldnt pop back into place.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:30 PM

Yeah D GEES got it. make sure the spline is in the tranny all the way. if you see its not in try and rotate and push it in. if its in the tranny all the way than the joint popped out. no big deal they always go back but if you want take the axle nut and take the axle out to see where the problem is....one of the joints or maybe it has to be bottomed out in the tranny. i usually just whack the general area with a rubber mallet and it buttons right up!!

DONT HAVE IT TOWED TO A SHOP!!!!!

Last edited by QNO_A32; 09-02-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:04 PM

according to your inner boot... axle is definitely separated at the inner joint... you need to force it back together. Push it back in with a little muscle... than turn rotor/axle/etc. about 30 degrees... than push again... (over and over until it goes back in... you will feel it) Would be easier if you took the axle nut off... tapped the axle out of the knuckle than tried to push it back together.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by hott_nikkelzz
according to your inner boot... axle is definitely separated at the inner joint... you need to force it back together. Push it back in with a little muscle... than turn rotor/axle/etc. about 30 degrees... than push again... (over and over until it goes back in... you will feel it) Would be easier if you took the axle nut off... tapped the axle out of the knuckle than tried to push it back together.
Ok, Thank You Everyone for all your suggestions, and knowledge, I will try all of this soon, and will keep everyone posted, I appreciate it guys.

If anyone has any other advice, Please PM me or Post here

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-03-2008, 07:42 PM

bump
Old 09-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Cut the band off the boot and pull the boot back. Once your in there you can see exactly what needs to be done. Get a replacement band at any auto parts store.

This is a 5 minute job but very messey.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:53 AM

Thanks man, I will try that as soon as I get the chance.

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Cut the band off the boot and pull the boot back. Once your in there you can see exactly what needs to be done. Get a replacement band at any auto parts store.

This is a 5 minute job but very messey.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM

you gotta take the axle out of the hub bro it will make your life much easier. you will be able ti mive and wiggle it more easy. if that dont work do what njmax said and if you dont want to buy the band and the tool you could use a zip tie....