4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headlights are buggin out! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:43 PM

Headlights are buggin out! Help!

(Keep in mind, the previous owner had retrofits but he took them off upon my purchase of the vehicle) My right headlight went out one day. I ordered some bulbs and replaced them. When I changed the lights, the right side STILL didn't come on. When I slammed the hood closed, it came on. hmm? Obviousy something is loose. A couple days later, it went off again. For some reason, when I turn the highbeams on, both headlights work. It's the low beams i was having a problem with. So, I drove around with highbeams on for a while. NOW, my highbeams stay on! as soon as i turn the headlights on, the blue highbeam icon on my dash board comes on, but neither headlights come on. When i actually switch to highbeams, only one headlight comes on..any ideas? I did notice there is a wire that goes from the battery to the right headlight, which i have never seen on any other vehicle. I really think the wire has something to do with the fact that he had retrofits. should i remove the wire? any suggestions??
Old 09-13-2008, 02:25 AM

Pull your bulbs and inspect your wiring harnesses real good as well as his handiwork in splicing the wires back together. The previous owner may have burnt out or shorted the connectors by using a too high wattage bulb.
I did that with my 97 SE, the fix is simple, just go to Auto Zone and buy some new connectors, (the part that plugs onto the bulb) for about $7 bucks each.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:22 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by canIlive
(Keep in mind, the previous owner had retrofits but he took them off upon my purchase of the vehicle) My right headlight went out one day. I ordered some bulbs and replaced them. When I changed the lights, the right side STILL didn't come on. When I slammed the hood closed, it came on. hmm? Obviousy something is loose. A couple days later, it went off again. For some reason, when I turn the highbeams on, both headlights work. It's the low beams i was having a problem with. So, I drove around with highbeams on for a while. NOW, my highbeams stay on! as soon as i turn the headlights on, the blue highbeam icon on my dash board comes on, but neither headlights come on. When i actually switch to highbeams, only one headlight comes on..any ideas? I did notice there is a wire that goes from the battery to the right headlight, which i have never seen on any other vehicle. I really think the wire has something to do with the fact that he had retrofits. should i remove the wire? any suggestions??
As Maxgig said, fully inspect the wiring harness. There should be no B+ wire going straight to the headlight, it's one of his screwups.

FWIW:

Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Whatchyou say?

If you want to put a set of HIDs back in ... I can make you a good harness. Use the diagram that Pmohr put up and see if you can trace it down. If you need a good harness (for and HID setup) just lemme know. Sorry you're having this trouble. Sounds like the guy you bought the car from didn't remove the haness, but maybe did remove the ballasts.

Our 9004 headlights are a dual burn bulb. Meaning ... when you cut the low beams in exchange for the hibeams, you actually brun a different fillament. Sounds like he left a diode in place or something. (not good for a non-HID setup) Look very close at the wires and see if you find a diode. A diode directs the power output in one direction, kinda like a one way street ... in a sense. lol The diode will look like this ::: http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi Third one from the left.