4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Xenon or Bi-Xenon for Maxima 98?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 PM

Xenon or Bi-Xenon for Maxima 98?

I've got a 98 Maxima and wanted to know if I needed to purchase Xenon or Bi-xenon lights for it? It currently has the stock halogen bulbs.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-13-2008, 11:48 PM

Depends. And it's complicated.

If you want to convert to xenon the right way (a retrofit) it will be rather costly ($500ish up).
Old 09-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Hm.. so it's not straightforward (I'm told I just need a regular xenon kit for my 08 Maxima)?

What's the mechanism in the 98? Does some type of reflector move or does the bulb receive more wattage?

How would that correlate to a xenon or bi-xenon setup?
Old 09-14-2008, 06:29 AM

Inside the 9004 bulb, there are two filaments. One filament is for low beam, and the other filament is for high beam. Our 4th gens use the different filament positions + reflection angles to get the output.
In a xenon or bi-xenon setup, there is a projector that reflects all light onto a lens which in turn focuses the light into usable road illumination. Bi-xenon has a movable shield to block or allow some light to illuminate higher areas.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:31 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by cpufreak3
Hm.. so it's not straightforward (I'm told I just need a regular xenon kit for my 08 Maxima)?

What's the mechanism in the 98? Does some type of reflector move or does the bulb receive more wattage?
no mechanism in 98 just a dual wattage bulb.
How would that correlate to a xenon or bi-xenon setup?
xenon would = terrible output and blind people. bixenon projector would be referring to a low beam and a shield that moves to create the high beam...hence the name bixenon. They also have bixenon hid kits I believe..that would be not a projector.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
Inside the 9004 bulb, there are two filaments. One filament is for low beam, and the other filament is for high beam. Our 4th gens use the different filament positions + reflection angles to get the output.
In a xenon or bi-xenon setup, there is a projector that reflects all light onto a lens which in turn focuses the light into usable road illumination. Bi-xenon has a movable shield to block or allow some light to illuminate higher areas.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by maxprivate
xenon would = terrible output and blind people. bixenon projector would be referring to a low beam and a shield that moves to create the high beam...hence the name bixenon. They also have bixenon hid kits I believe..that would be not a projector.
You need projectors if you go to an HID system. If you use the stock housing, you will have TERRIBLE glare and it will look like crap.

To the OP: Xenon would look good (with projectors), Bixenon would look good and function well (with projectors). So, it depends on what you are looking for. btw ... it shouldn't cost you $500ish ... cost me like $300ish when I did mine. I also made my own wiring harnes (I don't trust the stock harnes to not burn up the ballasts, most people get a better harnes and I can make you one ... PM me if you need it). Look on the classifieds forums, you'll find a set of projectors on there I'm sure.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:57 AM

Okay, so I need projectors if I plan on getting any type of Xenon setup.

I wasn't aware of that. Now I have another question, does this apply to all conversions or just certain cases, because I would also like to convert my 08 Maxima.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
You need projectors if you go to an HID system. If you use the stock housing, you will have TERRIBLE glare and it will look like crap.

To the OP: Xenon would look good (with projectors), Bixenon would look good and function well (with projectors). So, it depends on what you are looking for. btw ... it shouldn't cost you $500ish ... cost me like $300ish when I did mine. I also made my own wiring harnes (I don't trust the stock harnes to not burn up the ballasts, most people get a better harnes and I can make you one ... PM me if you need it). Look on the classifieds forums, you'll find a set of projectors on there I'm sure.
You can spend less money by not getting a new set of housings but generally it will cost more than $300.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by cpufreak3
Okay, so I need projectors if I plan on getting any type of Xenon setup.

I wasn't aware of that. Now I have another question, does this apply to all conversions or just certain cases, because I would also like to convert my 08 Maxima.
The 08 doesn't need projectors, only the 98 does.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
The 08 doesn't need projectors, only the 98 does.
I thought the 08 has projectors? take a look. You don't really need projectors for the 98, you can go ahead and purchase an HID kit and it would look good in appearance but as mentioned earlier in the stock housing they would created a lot of glare and blind people. The stock housing are not designed for HID. Now to do them correctly you can purchase a set of projectors depending on what you are looking for ie, having a good low beam only and loosing the high beam (assuming you are still using the stock housing) or you can get bixenon projectors having high and low beam in one or you can do a dual projector in the stock housing. One projector for low beam or bixenon and one for a daytime running light or the high beam. For more info on projectors check out Hidplanet.com there is a whole section on projectors discussing output , dimensions etc. And also a section discussing the wiring harness you would need to do the conversion.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 PM

If your interested i have bi-xenon projectors for sale.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 PM

If you do it yourself it may cost you 300 but if you do the math. The housings are 150,projectors 150-400, xenon kit 100 or oem ballasts 200, bulbs 50. That's a little more than 300 there even if you do it yourself.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:35 PM

Projectors/bulbs/ballasts cost me $500 (I got TLs and Hella gen 3 ballasts), harness probably cost me $100 even though I did it myself (relays, relay pigtail, diodes, lots of wire and split loom, quick disconnects, solder etc), new housings were like $200 then there was shipping etc...
Old 09-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Whatchyou say?

IIRC, I spent $90 on my A6 projectors, $110 on ballast kit (included bulbs), and I made my own harnes. Retrofitted them into my stock housings, cost nothing (well ... hi temp glue). Time reading up on what I wanted, how to go about it didn't cost me anything so ... I did my whole project for ~$200 + materials for the harnes. I don't understand how everyone else spends upwards of $500 to retrofit HIDs to their 4th gen. Just my opinion, maybe I should keep this info to myself ... dunno.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:09 PM

IIRC, I spent $90 on my A6 projectors, $110 on ballast kit (included bulbs), and I made my own harnes. Retrofitted them into my stock housings, cost nothing (well ... hi temp glue). Time reading up on what I wanted, how to go about it didn't cost me anything so ... I did my whole project for ~$200 + materials for the harnes. I don't understand how everyone else spends upwards of $500 to retrofit HIDs to their 4th gen. Just my opinion, maybe I should keep this info to myself ... dunno.
Well for one you picked the bottom of the barrel projector . Yea they can be had for cheap but most of us retrofitters feel if we are going to do it may as well have the best. 300 bucks using the oem housings ok i can see it done. but if you buy new housings then that 300 is now 450 or more.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by kzoosho
Well for one you picked the bottom of the barrel projector . Yea they can be had for cheap but most of us retrofitters feel if we are going to do it may as well have the best. 300 bucks using the oem housings ok i can see it done. but if you buy new housings then that 300 is now 450 or more.
I agree if you are doing this you might as well get the best possible projectors out there. Most agree that the S2000 or TL Bixenon are the best out there. I payed near $500 for my whole kit projectors, ballast, and bulbs. I also got the ZKW projectors that were $300 for a lense swap and the R34 housing cost near $200. Some may say its a lot of money but I wanted the BEST so I don't regret it one bit. This doesn't even included the harness I made and the countless hours doing research and the work itself. So you can see how this can all add up.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Whatchyou say?

It all depends on what you want / have the money for / can get. Not saying my A6 projectors are the bomb or anything, but they work well, I like them (after all, isn't that what matters - if the person who owns the car likes them?) and it's what I could afford. I agree, you can drop some coin on a retro, but if you're on a budget, you get what you can. Not trying to argue, I just don't see any sense in spending that much more if you don't need to. If they function well ... what more can you ask for? lol

Post 1000
Old 09-14-2008, 08:49 PM

Because you

1) picked the crappiest projector out there (at least it's an HID projector)
2) picked crappy ebay electrical equipment instead of OEM stuff
3) used the stock plastic housings

I used TL bixenon projectors (close to the best bixenon projector you can buy), Hella gen 3 ballasts (weatherproof and durable), CE glass housings that will remain clear for a long time, and didn't have any materials to make the harness as I live in an apartment and am in college, so I had to buy them. It wound up costing me a lot more than it did you but then again, I have a much better setup and I still had the stock housings to swap back in if I had problems with the harness and needed to drive the car at night.

Honestly recently I was considering doing a quad projector R34 retro with boosted ballasts and good projectors (LS430/S2000 and FX or similar) and that would cost a LOT more than I paid to do the TLs...
Old 09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Because you

1) picked the crappiest projector out there (at least it's an HID projector)
2) picked crappy ebay electrical equipment instead of OEM stuff
3) used the stock plastic housings
First off ... they aren't the crappiest projectors out there ... at least they are Bi-xenon

Second, I got my ballasts kit from the classifieds here on the .Org, not ebay

Third .... what's wrong with the stock housing? I couldn't afford (and still can't) better housings ... I would love some R34's if anyone wants to donate. lol

A quad projector set up would look REALLY nice ... if I had that kind of money, I would probably spend it on other things though.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:03 PM

First off ... they aren't the crappiest projectors out there ... at least they are Bi-xenon
Any projectors that you can get for under $100 a set can't even begin to hold a candle to FX or TL projos.

Second, I got my ballasts kit from the classifieds here on the .Org, not ebay
The point is that it's not OEM equipment, it's a kit.

Third .... what's wrong with the stock housing? I couldn't afford (and still can't) better housings ... I would love some R34's if anyone wants to donate. lol
R34s would be good for retros but honestly only for quad projectors, I think the CE glass housings look better than everything else. Then again I am a bit baised.

A quad projector set up would look REALLY nice ... if I had that kind of money, I would probably spend it on other things though.
Yeah I am thinking the same thing, I'm not sure how much longer my VQ is going to hold on... not like I have that kind of cash to throw around now anyway but if I sold the current retros I would make up some of the difference...
Old 09-14-2008, 09:08 PM

First off ... they are the crappiest projectors out there ... and they are Bi-xenon
Fixed it for you.
As far as xenon projectors there really isnt anything under but the e55 which are the same minus bowl. I have e55's also but thats only because i got a hell of a deal. Im not saying theres anything wrong with the A6 or the RS6's but they are no where near the best.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has the market price for FX just doubled or are you guys just going by actual vendor prices? I ask b/c i found some FX projectors w/bulbs for 70 shipped. And some RX330 projectors for 60 shipped... ebay is your friend people.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 PM

NO but we are talkin about the TL's which have been high since i started retroing. I have been getting fx's for 70 shipped for a year now when needed. Hell i got a set of housings for 65 shipped once. Ballasts, bulbs, and everything.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 PM

JtzMax was not saying he had the best setup he was just stating you could spend around $300 and have projectors. Yes there are better projos but I am sure his $300 projos are better than my 9007 conversion.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:32 PM

Damn, whats this HID planet. A6 isn't the best but you guys act like he committed a sin. he's satisfied with the setup and it appears like he hasn't had issues yet...

be happy for a fellow orger if
Old 09-14-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by B_Eaze
Damn, whats this HID planet. A6 isn't the best but you guys act like he committed a sin. he's satisfied with the setup and it appears like he hasn't had issues yet...

Well if you reread we are happy for him but want to make sure all know what it is , a starter setup. One that wants the best performance from a projector is not going to get it from a 300 dollar setup. I know people with thousands of dollars into their lighting. I am not knocking JTZ at all, i am happy to see a fellow retro fitter and he makes harnesses as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:09 AM

You misunderstand... if all you want to do is get the cheapest retro you can then there is nothing wrong with that and as far as bang for the buck goes it's definitely not bad.

But I would encourage the beginner retrofitter to buy another set of housings so he can still drive around while he's performing the retro, and he probably won't have the materials to make the harness himself. I'd recommend that they get OEM ballasts and bulbs for longevity/reliability's sake and I'd recommend some better projectors if you really want to enjoy the output.

If you do it my way it will be $500+. If you do it JTZ's way it will be cheaper, but there is a reason for that.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:45 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

My retro-
HID kit $130
R34's $150
FX35 Projectors $120

$400 total. Can be done MUCH cheaper, use stock headlights and your looking at $250. Projectors can be found cheaper as well.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:16 PM

friendly hazing is ok in my book.

im in the process of doing a retro, i have ballast, igniter and projectors. i need r34, wiring and loom. gonna be somewhere around $400
Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Whatchyou say?

friendly hazing is ok in my book.
It's ok, I have tough skin. I like my retro and it works just fine. That being said, if others don't like it, they don't have to.

im in the process of doing a retro, i have ballast, igniter and projectors. i need r34, wiring and loom. gonna be somewhere around $400
If you would like, I could make you a harenss, PM if interested.