4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission Fluid Mixup

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008 | 06:36 PM

Transmission Fluid Mixup

I replaced a CV boot recently and think the mechanic might have topped up the 5spd fluid with Castrol 10-30. How problematic could this be? Also, is there a simple thread somewhere on how to change (not flush) transmission fluid. I
Old 09-14-2008 | 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by rhonster
I replaced a CV boot recently and think the mechanic might have topped up the 5spd fluid with Castrol 10-30. How problematic could this be? Also, is there a simple thread somewhere on how to change (not flush) transmission fluid. I
if he put atf in it, park and dont go no where and you really and i repeat really need to FLUSH the system. ur tranny doesnt use fluid, it uses gear oil and your KILLING ur tranny. if you know for sure he did it, take it back to him because they need to fix anything that will come from this.
Old 09-14-2008 | 06:53 PM

i am sure it was not ATF, possibly Castrol GTX 10-30 motor oil. I would like to avoid a flush if possible as I have heard they tend to create problems?
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by rhonster
i am sure it was not ATF, possibly Castrol GTX 10-30 motor oil. I would like to avoid a flush if possible as I have heard they tend to create problems?
a flush doesnt always create problems, wat happens is that sometimes particles that have built up in ur tranny break loose and go into ur gears etc and u can guess watll happen. but ur gona have real big problems anyways if u dont get that out of there? hows ur tranny? any slipping or grinding?
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:50 PM

i would let the mechanic handle it...but then again after throwing oil on my tranny....i prob wudnt let him in my car at all.
Old 09-14-2008 | 07:52 PM

Did you check the fluid on the dipstick?
Old 09-14-2008 | 08:01 PM

the car runs fine, no slipping or any issues. I will not take it back to that mechanic as it is out of town and that could create other issues. Prior to a full change, in my motorcycle, I had added a hypoid 5 gear oil to regular 20-40 to thicken it up re outside temperature issues with no problems. I will change to the transmission oil, asap. Btw, where is the dipstick for the 5spd or do you just finger the side hole??
Old 09-14-2008 | 08:03 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

^^ There is no dip stick on a 5spd LOL!!

Just drain all the fluid out, the drain bolt is close to the cross member and pretty far back.
Make sure you fill it back up with GL4, not GL5.
Old 09-14-2008 | 08:19 PM

Ummm. flushing can cause problems but motor oil in your tranny can cause more problems. If you bring it back and tell them " Hey genius, you put GTX in my tranny" they will HAVE to drain and flush for free.... THEN make sure you get a receipt saying why they did the drain and flush for you so if your tranny kicks the bucket then they will be comin out of there pocket for those expenss.... preferably at a Stealership or transmission shop for your sake
Old 09-14-2008 | 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter

Just drain all the fluid out, the drain bolt is close to the cross member and pretty far back.
Make sure you fill it back up with GL4, not GL5.
dont pull the gear position sensor to drain your fluid either. There are several threads about people doing it this way and destroying their sensors. The drain bolt is 10 or 12 mm and you can get at it with an open ended wrench.
Old 09-14-2008 | 11:34 PM
SLOW

drain it out immediately without driving on it any more. not sure how far you've already driven on it, but every mile you put on that motor oil is bad.

you just take the drain bolt out or the reverse light sensor (very carefully, otherwise you WILL crack the sensor and need to replace it) and let all the fluid out, and put some proper gear oil in.

edit: do you have a manual transmission or an automatic? because you keep on using terms that are automatic exclusive terms when describing things. manual transmissions cannot "slip". they do not have "dip sticks", and they do not get "flushed". I know you said you have a 5 speed but your repeated use of these other terms has me wondering if you've misrepresented your transmission type as well.

Last edited by Nealoc187; 09-14-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-15-2008 | 03:48 AM

firs off why do you "think" the mech used 10/30??? Did you see him use it did he tell you he used it ? Most mechanics know that manuals take gear oil. In fact most mechanics are supprised to learn that hondas use motor oil in the tranny. If your worried cause you know nothing about cars and you saw him put somethng oil colored and not some red tranny fluid that's because you have a manual and they don't take trany fluid. Odds are no mech is that stupid that would be a monster of a dumb move. Even the 7$ and hour guys at pep boys know manuals take gear oil.
Old 09-15-2008 | 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by JSutter
^^ There is no dip stick on a 5spd LOL!!
Wow, I completely misread the OP...
Old 09-15-2008 | 09:59 AM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
drain it out immediately without driving on it any more. not sure how far you've already driven on it, but every mile you put on that motor oil is bad.

you just take the drain bolt out or the reverse light sensor (very carefully, otherwise you WILL crack the sensor and need to replace it) and let all the fluid out, and put some proper gear oil in.

edit: do you have a manual transmission or an automatic? because you keep on using terms that are automatic exclusive terms when describing things. manual transmissions cannot "slip". they do not have "dip sticks", and they do not get "flushed". I know you said you have a 5 speed but your repeated use of these other terms has me wondering if you've misrepresented your transmission type as well.
Just quoting this because I agree with every bit of it. Don't drive on the tranny if you're convinced it's got motor oil in it.

Note: there are manual transmissions designed to use motor oil in them. This is not one of them, and it will damage the transmission to use motor oil.

Dave
Old 09-15-2008 | 05:24 PM

Its weird most manual transmissions use gear oil but some like mine use motor oil ( honda ) others use ATF in them ( some mazda I believe)
Old 09-15-2008 | 05:55 PM

And don't take lightly the previous reminder in this thread to use GL-4 and NOT GL-5 gear oil (if it IS a 5 speed, of course). GL-4 can be tougher to find - most auto parts places have GL-5, or gear oils with both GL-4 and GL-5 ratings.

When I changed the trans oil in my 95 SE at 100K miles, I had so much trouble locating GL-4, that I contacted an oil rep who serviced my local Auto Zone to see if there really was a reason to stay away from GL-5. He explained to me that GL-5 gear oils have additives not included in GL-4 oils that can be corrosive to soft metals (brasses and bronzes, if I remember right) that are in some manual transmissions. Hence the reason Nissan tells us to only use GL-4.

I think I ended up getting the GL-4 at a Napa parts store.
Old 09-16-2008 | 08:36 AM

thanks to everyone for responses. I had driven the car for some mileage with the motor oil in the transmission mix and have now found G4 albeit at a lube service specialty shop where i got a complete change. I had spoken to a Nissan dealer who said they use G5 on all standard models and didn't seem concerned with the owners manual calling for G4 on the 95-99 generation. If anything, it would be a great idea for someone who has devised an effective tool for filling the standard transmission to post pictures and a 'how-to' as Nissan and any other guides are remiss in this area.
Old 09-16-2008 | 11:54 AM

I might add, just noticed today, that Canadian Tire sells a 4 Lt jug of their own GL4 as a TDH (transmission, differential and hydraulic) oil for $8.99. This has a clear GL4 rating as opposed to the GL4-5 combinations everywhere else. It is designated as applicable to farm and industrial applications as well as to automotive.