4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I think my hubs have gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:40 PM

I think my hubs have gone bad...

I just finished installing my axles and I used all-purpose grease on my hubs and on my axle ends where they meet the hub. I have put everything back together and I am hearing grindiing and sanding and some light humming sounds. I've had similiar sounds like this when I changed the axle on the otherside and I just took off the hub and greased It and It was quiet. I am thinKing that my wheel hub Is done and I will have to repack them with grease or It will be better to find a JY hub or new one and Install It? I am trying to figure why It worked on the otherside and not the side I just recently did? any clue.? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Was the noise there before you replaced the axle? If not, I'd go back over all of your work. Hub's don't go bad, the bearing does, but not instantly like that.
Did you do anyting to the brakes? Took the caliper off? Is the dust shield rubbing on the rotor?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:05 AM
Whatchyou say?

Did you roll the car without the axles in? This would ruin the hubs and the FSM has a procedure for how to move the car w/o axles in it.

The humming sounds like a bad bearing, but it will usually be accompinied by vibration too. Did you get the strut knuckle bolts tight?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Was the noise there before you replaced the axle? If not, I'd go back over all of your work. Hub's don't go bad, the bearing does, but not instantly like that.
Did you do anyting to the brakes? Took the caliper off? Is the dust shield rubbing on the rotor?
Not Hijacking !!!.....So a hub cannot go bad.Kool. Can the bearings be changed out or does everything have to be changed. My rear right wheel squeaks when i go thru cracks and little potholes, is this hub related.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
No, the noise was not there before I replaced the axle. The noise came after the axle installation. I had tooken off everything to put the axle in. I also sanded the brake pads down because they were galzing and so I got the rotors surfaced. I am still hearing this noise and I have gotten all the bolts tightened up.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Did you roll the car without the axles in? This would ruin the hubs and the FSM has a procedure for how to move the car w/o axles in it.

The humming sounds like a bad bearing, but it will usually be accompinied by vibration too. Did you get the strut knuckle bolts tight?
I don't what you mean by rolling the car without the axles but the answer Is a no,It was just a pull and install the axle. I have tighten everything back up and I greased and sprayed some PB blaster on the hub. I will have to try the greasing and the PB blasting If the hubs Is not going bad.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:49 PM

what kind of axle did you buy???? i never trust anything except for raxles..EVER again!!!! i went to napa....bought an axle...made my car vibrate like crazy!!!!, took it off, went back...second one....starting making a huge noise!!!!!! went back...3rd one....pulled my car all the way to the left when i accelerated?? so i returned it..n went with a raxle...So it might very well be just a bad axle that you got. It might be a pain, but what was wrong with your old one?? just the cv boot?? if thats the case, put it back on and see if you hear the same noise?? and if not, its the axle..
Old 09-25-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou
what kind of axle did you buy???? i never trust anything except for raxles..EVER again!!!! i went to napa....bought an axle...made my car vibrate like crazy!!!!, took it off, went back...second one....starting making a huge noise!!!!!! went back...3rd one....pulled my car all the way to the left when i accelerated?? so i returned it..n went with a raxle...So it might very well be just a bad axle that you got. It might be a pain, but what was wrong with your old one?? just the cv boot?? if thats the case, put it back on and see if you hear the same noise?? and if not, its the axle..
I have a new NAPA axle and If I knew It was a bad Napa axle I think as soon as I start driving the car and hit low-high speeds It would constanly grind and shimmer and viberate and pull to the sides hard. so It does not do that,so I know It's not the axle. I am thinking about my hubs that they are not greased right or there done I will check the brakes again even though I sanded them and again to know whats really happening,I will have to look into it.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM

Just because it doesn't make noise at low speeds doesnt mean its not a faulty axle. Keep that in mind.

I doubt it is a grease issue.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by MOHFpro90
Just because it doesn't make noise at low speeds doesnt mean its not a faulty axle. Keep that in mind.

I doubt it is a grease issue.
Well I know that It's not my axle because as I posted here about the otherside doing the same exact thing so I greased It and it stoped. The reason I am post about this side Is because of the humming noises I am getting with all the other things mentioned. I leaning on the hub but I will check and make sure It's the hub.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Whatchyou say?

Is it your tire you hear ??? Does the noise change on different road surfaces? If it were your hub, you'd know it was. You'd get bad vibration, pulling (to that side) and a wobble in your wheel.