4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

should i buy this 97 5spd as a project car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 PM

should i buy this 97 5spd as a project car?

ive been looking into getting a 5spd 4th gen as my project car...i had a 98 5spd previously as my daily driver and loved the car but it got me in way too much trouble and i ended up selling it..2 months later im looking for a car to be my new project and nothing is more appealing than the 4th gen..well the new gen preludes are pretty nice too..but ill see whichever i can get at a decent price

anyways...
i went to see a black on black 975spd that has 136k

The car is a piece..it needs a lot of work..but my goal with w.e project car i get is to mainly learn how to do body work and have the body in as mint condition as possible. This car needs alot of body work so maybe its a good candidate to learn from.. Once the car looks somewhat presentable i want to do a DE-K swap or a vq35......helped my friend swap in a DE-k into a 4th gen and it wasnt too bad but i dunno how the vq35 would be. but those would just be a briefing on what my plans are for whatever maxima i get for a project.

THE Bad:

--The car does not run because it isnt holding tranny fluid..it needs the trans axle bearing to be replaced. The kid has the part and he started to do it but he couldnt get something out when he tried and he sorta just slapped everything back together..the trans and everything looks intact besides a missing bolt hear and there which he has...the kid tried to fix the trans axle bearing himself and he couldn't so he ended up towing the car home ..and its been sitting for 2 months..he pretty much lost interest in it..
--The pass door and fender are both dented and look like they need to be replaced
--The drivers door and back door look like they need to be replaced too.
--There is a small dent on the top corner of the rear windshield..possible fix with bondo?
--The roof isnt perfect but its not bad...when you look closely at it..it has small wrinkles in it. _Would that be able to be fixed?

The Good:...nothing crazy but its better than nothing
--18" Enkei Rims
--Brakes recently done
--2 New Axles
--New Battery
--Short Ram Intake
--Full leather interior ..looks pretty mint
--Black on Black leather...hard to find this combo

The guy is asking 2500 but i know he'll go down on the price..im sure he knows he wont get that much for it...
I dont want to pay too much for a car that i want to be my project esp if it needs alot of work...and i dont want it to be my headache...i have a few questions which i think would help me make my decision .

Is the trans axle bearing a difficult thing to replace?
Would it be expensive to replace the doors on the car?
Would it be possible to fix the dent at the top corner of the rear windshield?
would it be possible to get the little wrinkles out of the roof without being a professional body shop ?
What do you think is a good price for this maxima?

sorry for the long post
Thanks for any replies
ray
Old 09-30-2008, 11:24 PM

I would do it ....
but not for more than 1250
Old 10-01-2008, 01:56 AM

Wow looking into the prices you guys are paying for a 4th generation Max, it makes me happy I live in the Boston area, where one could find a max with low miles ready to go for about 2k.

I got me last week a one owner 96 5 speed GXE with 98k in great shape for $2200. It was drives like new and has none of the problems you listed.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:40 AM

if it doesn't run it shouldn't be worth more then $1500 depending on the shape of the body and such
Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 AM

from the way it sounds $1000is as high as i would go
Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 AM

That leaking tranny axle bearing seal might be worse than you are thinking. Sometimes the leaking is caused by the bearing going bad. Therefore the tranny might need a rebuild, not just a new seal. Try getting under the car and grab the inner CV joint and try moving it around to see if there is play in the bearing.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 AM

I payed 2300 for a Supercharged 99 and payed 1700 for a stock 97 SE so personally o wounldnt pay more than 500 but thats just me.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ray_289
Is the trans axle bearing a difficult thing to replace?
Would it be expensive to replace the doors on the car?
Would it be possible to fix the dent at the top corner of the rear windshield?
would it be possible to get the little wrinkles out of the roof without being a professional body shop ?
What do you think is a good price for this maxima?
1-If its your project car...get a VLSD tranny and dont bother with the old one. Most likely if it doesnt hold fluid, it was driven with low fluid and it probably needs a rebuild. You never really stated how much you are willing to put in to the car and if you are building it for performance or looks.

2-Shouldnt be too bad...couple hundred for doors from a junkyard. Will need paint but sounds like you would do that yourself.

3-Everything is fixable...

4-Dont really know what you are talking about.

5-Hard to say without pics, but if its fully loaded and the engine runs, Id say around 1500...

POST PICS!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:36 AM

where do you find a S/C 4th gen 2300 ..u got lucky my friend llol

black_maxed95.. i want to build the car for performance & looks..as time goes on ill replace interior carpet/seats etc...i have no real budget for the car..im gonna work on it and put money into it gradually ..its my project so there is no need to rush to finish ..im basically going to take a certain amount out of mt checks for w.e project i have ..but i dont want to put a ****load of money into the car to fix it if id be better off using the money to buy one without the problems..but i geuss that depends how much/difficult the tranny is to change .i have some pics that i need to upload of the car

By wrinkles in the roof..it looks like someone walked on top of the roof and pushed it down and when it popped out it regained its shaped but its not completly as smooth as it should be.
Id feel better juss putting a new tranny in it cuz that tranny in there just looks like a big headache to deal with...

so i geuss the car is worth 1500 any less would be a good price?
Thanks for all your replies i really appreciate it
Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Typically non-running cars are not worth more than $500-$1000 tops when they're this old.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
SLOW

A running 97 with decent body is worth $2500 with typical mileage. A non running, beat up 97, for $2500... hah.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 AM

CHECK THE CORE SUPPORT FOR RUST!!!!!!

But I agree with just about everyone else in saying that 1500 is about it for a non-runner. I picked up my 97 with 211K miles for 2K, but it at least drove me 200 miles home and is driveable without doing anything. It's not mechanically correct, but its driveable. Core support was bad without my knowing of the problems at the time, and the trans needs to be rebuilt. So for you, I say 1500 max.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:33 AM

where do you find a S/C 4th gen 2300 ..u got lucky my friend llol

black_maxed95.. i want to build the car for performance & looks..as time goes on ill replace interior carpet/seats etc...i have no real budget for the car..im gonna work on it and put money into it gradually ..its my project so there is no need to rush to finish ..im basically going to take a certain amount out of mt checks for w.e project i have ..but i dont want to put a ****load of money into the car to fix it if id be better off using the money to buy one without the problems..but i geuss that depends how much/difficult the tranny is to change .i have some pics that i need to upload of the car

By wrinkles in the roof..it looks like someone walked on top of the roof and pushed it down and when it popped out it regained its shaped but its not completly as smooth as it should be.
Id feel better juss putting a new tranny in it cuz that tranny in there just looks like a big headache to deal with...

so i geuss the car is worth 1500 any less would be a good price?
Thanks for all your replies i really appreciate it
Probably the same place as the non running one you are looking at. I wont pay more than 500 for a non running car. You can get a running one for that. Hell i just got a running 3rd gen for 800 thats clean.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM

I agree, way too overpriced. Considering all the work, oh and the body work=extra $ from your pocket. I almost got one the other day for $2,500, no rust, not a small dent, VERY clean interior and 5 spd, 132,000km's, one lady owner. The b***h sold it to someone for $100 more when I basically told her if someone ups the price to talk to me, cause Ill match or beat theirs...I guess she didnt like me.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:19 PM

Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM

thanks for your replies..ill keep my eye open for any other 4th gens as possible project candidates ..but if its 1500 or more it'll be running!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 PM

I looked forever for a descent 97-99 black leather 5 speed. There wasnt crap out there. I got really lucky with my car. The exterior needs a little work but interior is mint. Looks like none of the seats have been sat in and the car has 162000 miles. I bought it off of the original owner for $2800
Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
from the way it sounds $1000is as high as i would go
if that much i got my max in great cond with only some minor problems with the 00vi for 3800 121k miles
Old 10-01-2008, 09:10 PM

WHAT ABOUT A 95 5spd for 1000?

excuse my language but **** that non running 97!!...this dude is selling a 95 5spd thats running..with 250k...body needs work but nothing major..(exactly what i want) engine and trans will eventually need to be replaced with 250k but it seems like it will last for the time being ( the car will just be moved around my neighborhood and around the block until its complete)
The guy said the car needs the valve cover gasket and a new axle but other than that the car is pretty ok...interior is in good condition..
the guy is asking 1000 but he said he will take a reasonable offer cuz he needs money and i am certain he will take at least 800 for it...
the car is about 1hr and 40min from here so if its worth it ill take the ride for it..

in case you guys were wondering when finished the car will have
-fresh paint,lip kit,fresh wheels, and more..
-new interior/suspension/brakes(havent decided exactly what parts i want to go with but all will be changed)
-DE-K Motor ATLEAST or vq35w/6spd if im lucky..dont wanna get too ahead of myself but anythings possible
- all the normal bolt ons i/h/y/e/udp/jwt ecu/mounts/nice clutch & flywheel and a safc and wideband to go with it ..have some parts from my old 98 still (which i regret selling)
.this wont happen over night but it will in time as this car will be worked on by me and my gf in my free time away from work/skool

i didn't really want to put my plans out there cuz i am sure you guys have herd of ppl on here wanting to do all these crazy things with their cars but never follow thru with it...so i rather show than tell....but i think knowing this will help you understand more why i don't mind having a car thats going to need work...

so what do you think..
its a 95 5spd with 250k that is need of some severe work.
.but it runs and needs a valve cover gasket and new axles
and i can get it for atleast 800 and about 4 hours of my time

lemme know
thanks for your replies!

Last edited by ray_289; 10-01-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:03 PM

bumpppp
Old 10-03-2008, 09:32 PM

excuse my language but **** that non running 97!!...this dude is selling a 95 5spd thats running..with 250k...body needs work but nothing major..(exactly what i want) engine and trans will eventually need to be replaced with 250k but it seems like it will last for the time being ( the car will just be moved around my neighborhood and around the block until its complete)
The guy said the car needs the valve cover gasket and a new axle but other than that the car is pretty ok...interior is in good condition..
the guy is asking 1000 but he said he will take a reasonable offer cuz he needs money and i am certain he will take at least 800 for it...
the car is about 1hr and 40min from here so if its worth it ill take the ride for it..

in case you guys were wondering when finished the car will have
-fresh paint,lip kit,fresh wheels, and more..
-new interior/suspension/brakes(havent decided exactly what parts i want to go with but all will be changed)
-DE-K Motor ATLEAST or vq35w/6spd if im lucky..dont wanna get too ahead of myself but anythings possible
- all the normal bolt ons i/h/y/e/udp/jwt ecu/mounts/nice clutch & flywheel and a safc and wideband to go with it ..have some parts from my old 98 still (which i regret selling)
.this wont happen over night but it will in time as this car will be worked on by me and my gf in my free time away from work/skool

i didn't really want to put my plans out there cuz i am sure you guys have herd of ppl on here wanting to do all these crazy things with their cars but never follow thru with it...so i rather show than tell....but i think knowing this will help you understand more why i don't mind having a car thats going to need work...

so what do you think..
its a 95 5spd with 250k that is need of some severe work.
.but it runs and needs a valve cover gasket and new axles
and i can get it for atleast 800 and about 4 hours of my time

lemme know
thanks for your replies!
If you really think you can get it for 800 and dont mind doing the work on it i would do it. Heck if i came across another max that i could get for that price and had the money i would do it, but i would go opposite and park my 98, so i could finish it up. So i say if it is reasonable, which it sounds like it is you should do it..i mean for now your lookin at what maybe 200 bucks and should have a good car?
Old 10-04-2008, 04:28 PM

See if u can get it for like 1000 - 1500 if not Fk it lol