4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warpspeed Y-Pipe Install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can someone recommend an aftermarket exhaust ,that is just as quiet as the OEM exhaust for a 99 maxima.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 PM

where can i get this y pipe for a good decent price
Old 05-12-2010, 04:47 PM

5* WRITE UP...ordering mine this weekend
Old 05-12-2010, 07:39 PM

the oem exhaust are those 2 cat's in the oem "y pipe"?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great writeup, thanks.

I'm interested in getting a Y Pipe for the power after I'm finished with tuning it up and doing general maint, but I really dislike the rice-sound I've seen on the Maxima 3.0's on YouTube.

I'd really prefer either the stock sound, or if it has to be louder, a deeper/richer sound. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Take some pictures 20", Do you have a catback as well....If not I'll show you a good shop...where I plan on doing my catback on my 3rd gen....I'm gonna buy a builder's kit of T409 SS still debating whether to upgrade to 2.25" or 2.5"...Since I'm running Isky cams and headers I'm kinda leaning toward the 2.5"....Plus I have an extra 22" x 2.5" resonator already and soon a Warpspeed 2.5" metallic substrate cat!
No cat just the y pipe but i am debating on a catback but just concerned about how loud it maybe, it has a little growl now which is ok but i dont want it much louder than that, but i do need to replace my cat which is the original.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by tnok85
Great writeup, thanks.

I'm interested in getting a Y Pipe for the power after I'm finished with tuning it up and doing general maint, but I really dislike the rice-sound I've seen on the Maxima 3.0's on YouTube.

I'd really prefer either the stock sound, or if it has to be louder, a deeper/richer sound. Any suggestions?
Any aftermarket Catback is gonna add bass cuz of the larger exhaust pipe. Depending on the Muffler its gonna get even louder or more bassy.

If u want quiet, no bass, no noise, high flow. Get a Dynomax Super Turbo Street version. Or Get the Sport version if u want a lil tiny bit of exhaust note.

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
the oem exhaust are those 2 cat's in the oem "y pipe"?
OEM y-pipe has the pre-cats

Originally Posted by colombianmaxima
EBay brotha

Originally Posted by dadiblu
Can someone recommend an aftermarket exhaust ,that is just as quiet as the OEM exhaust for a 99 maxima.
If u want higher exhaust flow with NO noise, get the Dynomax. I had one and it is high flow w/ no noise whatsoever. I had to add a resonator tip to it jus to get any noise at all.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM

i have had a y pipe just waiting too be installed,i think i wanna change my 5 speed tranny first but i really like the y-pipe this is a good piece that they made.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by colombianmaxima
ebay or u can buy direct from warpspeed
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Crazytrini
ebay or u can buy direct from warpspeed

You can find them on ebay for $199 including shipping. Make sure you go with a stainless steel y pipe as well.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Just installed a 4th gen ypipe for a buddy, sure did clear up some space under the car......Warpspeed's product has a really nice finish....I believe they oughta enlarge the flange bolt holes to make the install even easier......
Old 05-26-2010, 10:16 AM

Nice job! Yes you do have more room to work with when the aftermarket is installed.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:30 PM

i just ordered my y pipe today. i think im in desperate need for one since the stock one is currently in three different pieces. salt sucks.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:18 PM

nice that is something i want to do to my car soon
Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM

Just ordered mine, can't wait to see some performance gains
Old 08-25-2010, 11:48 AM

just ordered the complete system from warpspeed. i got the stainless y, hi flow cat, and the pacesetter monza cat back. pretty excited to see how my 96 max performs after this is put in.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:56 PM

looks like a fun install, cant wait to get mine :]
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 AM

Now I really cant wait to order mine. Its going to be my first power mod.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM

I have looked on eBay several times for one over the past month and have not seen anything by warpspeed at all???
Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by 540maxima
just ordered the complete system from warpspeed. i got the stainless y, hi flow cat, and the pacesetter monza cat back. pretty excited to see how my 96 max performs after this is put in.
got my system installed today and holy **** it's great. very noticeable difference in power and overall feel in the car.. the sound is amazing imo. its nice and deep, not too loud also. im guessing this should increase my mpg?? but ill start keeping track of it
Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi, im a newbie and i just bought a '99 maxima with 67k miles. i was wondering what is the easiest and best bang for your buck exhaust?
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM

damn nice have fun and enjoy the power gain
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 PM

There are so many posts on exhaust and they go back so far that I am not sure what the current deals are, if any. I'm looking for oem quiet , inspectable (in Vermont) , exhaust advice .

I have a stock 97.. Original Y and Cat (rusty mess but seems to be hanging on .. but probably not for long.. I had replaced the B-Pipe about 2 years ago with some bosal junk and it just separated from the flange in that s pipe behind my cat..

I will try to fix with some new flange but I'm afraid that when I touch anything.. the whole thing will come crashing down so am trying to get a read on what my options are.

Cattman.. Warpspeed ? I would go SS.. in Vermont.. but also having rear quarter rust so worried about how long I can keep it going... only 74K miles on it..

I love that its silent when there are no gaping holes in it... If the options make it louder, not sure I am interested. I don't care about HP.. (and my wife cares less)...

If losing the pre cats can cause me a problem .. what would I do ? Junk the car because I bought the wrong part ? Inspections here do not sniff the pipe.. just check the codes. Will these w/o the pre cats cause codes to show up ? While I have a friend that owns his own shop.. he seems all of a sudden to be by the book so I'm a bit worried.

Thanks in advance for not flaming my post.. My car sounds like a tank and I have to act fast before my wife has to drive it and I never hear the end of it.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Yet another very helpful post THANKS!!!. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.

My 99 SE is currently stock. Unfortunatley it is a auto so I don't want to get to crazy with the mods but it is clean, 110k, fully loaded so I figure why not.

I purchased the CM Highflow cat last week. It was my understanding form reading the CM site that it is the cheapest beginner mod with a 10-12 HP gain and will give the exhaust a little deeper growl. I have not installed it yet as I planned to wait until I purchase the CM Catback System. This post has shifted me into a new direction.

Here is a direct link to warpspeed's site http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm

The install is not a issue thanks to QNO_A32 and his great pics, I now have a visual and know what to expect... after reading all your post I'm goin for the "Y" pipe before the Catback but I'm curious how this will effect performance and sound. I want the low frequency growl and the hp gain immediatly. Will the "Y" and the high flow cat with the stock catback exhaust give me that? Do I even need the aftermarket Catback for additional hp gain or is it really just for sound and looks. The CM Catback looks almost the same as the stock minus the huge muffler.

Performance noob here, thanks in advance!

Last edited by LoKeyM4A3; 10-27-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 PM

well done i love getting new exhaust components
Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 PM

well..i did mine yesterday...and the flanges on the y pipe were crazy huge in comparison to the stock y....so...i had to grind down the corners on the front in able to get the nuts back onthe studs...tell me why the front 3 nuts came off..and the back three...the whole stud came out haha idk....so anyways...ended up stripping one stud on the front..*letting a friend do it*...dumb idea...and now i have a large exhaust leak where that nut is not tightened down lol even with silicon gasket stuff..but i have a front header coming and will fix that..but back to the point of this thread.....
before i had the y on...and "juryrigged" exhaust, at about 110...it would die off..climb slowly..but NOW.....with aftermarket y ,straight pipe to muffler..no cat nothing:/...at 115..it climbs....fast..really fast...and at 130...it STILL climbes...i wasnt racing at this point ..just mearly comparing..and at 140...i decided to come off the gas haha....with 235000 miles...thats not bad in my mind haha..y pipe is a BIG plus
Old 10-31-2010, 05:03 PM

warpspeed y-pipe + bosal catback

Will a bosal catback sound good with a warpspeed y-pipe and magnaflow CAT? I was planning on purchasing the entire $589 package that Dallas is selling but I've read that the pacesetter catback quickly rusts. I drive over the Berkshire Mountains every day during these harsh winters.
I gave it thoughts to mount it with an N1 catback but read that it sounds too farty.

Purchasing a SS warspeed y-pipe with a magnaflow CAT mounted with a bosal catback will only cost around $540.

Last edited by jholley; 10-31-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
Will a bosal catback sound good with a warpspeed y-pipe and magnaflow CAT? I was planning on purchasing the entire $589 package that Dallas is selling but I've read that the pacesetter catback quickly rusts. I drive over the Berkshire Mountains every day during these harsh winters.
I gave it thoughts to mount it with an N1 catback but read that it sounds too farty.

Purchasing a SS warspeed y-pipe with a magnaflow CAT mounted with a bosal catback will only cost around $540.
Schmellyfart has his used 4th Gen Warpspeed for sale.....$150 iirc...He upgraded to a 3"......
Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Schmellyfart has his used 4th Gen Warpspeed for sale.....$150 iirc...He upgraded to a 3"......
I have an xs power ypipe....And I'm selling my 2.25" catback, not a ypipe.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM

So how do the Y pipes work with emissions? Sad to say we have to go through that down here, and I was just curious as to if any of you guys have to go through that and if the Y pipe causes any problems.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:58 PM

i put a y pipe on and have to get it tested soon, but as far as ive read just let your car warm up and run for about 30 minutes and it should pass emissions fine
Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I want to do this but I'm on a really tight budget / I'm cheap..

That being said.. Do the 2 pre-cat's have the platinum in them?
Based on the size in the pictures, i've scrapped cats of similar size for about 50$ each at the local metal salvage place.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WARPS...Q5fAccessories

Other cheap add on's that are good would be a turbocharger or supercharger, vlsd transmission, variable intake manifold, and nitrous.

anything in perticular that you can suggest? i really need some power adders to my max.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM

looks good
Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
I installed the Warpspeed Y-Pipe today in my driveway. It is a nice piece and im happy with it. It came with all hardware that you need, and even comes with a nice hanger as well. Took me about 1 hour using hand tools.

Things you will need:
floor jack
jackstands
1/2" ratchet
14mm deep impact socket
14mm shallow impact socket
12mm impact socket
22mm wrench
penetrating oil
1/2" swivel
1/2" impact extention

here is the hanger that came with the y pipe it uses factory mounting points and works very well. it also came with two new cat to y pipe bolts and nuts and gasket.

here is where the rear downpipe meets the manifold. take out the O2 sensor to give a little more room. the swivel must be used back here at least on two of these nuts. i used the short socket for one and the long one for the other.

Theres no need to show the front it looks just like the rear but is easier to do. same thing...remove 02 sensor and loosen the 3 nuts. Once you take both O2 sensors out and the 6 nuts for the headers you just have to undo the cat to y pipe bolts. my exhaust is new so this wasnt a problem for me but others might have trouble with rust. After everything is unbolted there are still two 12mm bolts holding the y pipe up...remove these and drop the pipe out.

Putting the aftermarket pipe is much easier you have more room to work with. install the crush gaskets and get the downpipes on the studs and hand tighten all 6 nuts. put the new gasket for the cat and hand tighted the two bolts. than install the new hanger and tighten it down. tighten down the 6 nuts but dont crank them down or they will snap. than tighten the y pipe to the cat and you done. start it up and check for leaks.

im ok with the way mine sounds i have a 2.5" test pipe and a 2.5" crush bent cat back to a 5.5 gen muffler. the added power is nice too. thanks for reading and im sure i forgot something but i hope some people will chime in. THANKS

i know its a super noob question but in any of this build did you have to swap out the headers or did you keep the stock ones intact?
Old 04-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kid_grave
i know its a super noob question but in any of this build did you have to swap out the headers or did you keep the stock ones intact?
You should be able to reuse the stock headers. It's direct bolt-on.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:06 PM

nice job man!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Nicely done.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by kid_grave
Last Novemeber I replaced all exhasut except the headers

Stock headers + WS y-pipe + high flow Magnafolw CAT + Bosal catback
Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Servious
I want to do this but I'm on a really tight budget / I'm cheap..

That being said.. Do the 2 pre-cat's have the platinum in them?
Based on the size in the pictures, i've scrapped cats of similar size for about 50$ each at the local metal salvage place.
Bump. Anyone know about the 2 pre-cats?

Quick Reply: Warpspeed Y-Pipe Install (pics)