4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Standard LED's Auto AC/Heater control

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 03:55 PM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Standard LED's Auto AC/Heater control

Hey guys, any help on this post will be grateful. Halve of my AC/heater control unit will not light up. I am assuming that some of the bulbs have burned out. I would like to remove the unit, and just replace the standard bulbs. Everything that I have read on this subject seems to be a mod. Does anyone know the standard bulb that I need to replace this bulb? How many? Where can I find them? And if so, will I also need to use a resistor like I have read in so many stickey's?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:58 PM

The dealership is the best (possibly only) place to get those bulbs. They aren't cheap either. IF I remember right, they're around $5 each, but I may be wrong.

David
Old 10-16-2008, 04:59 PM

the display isn't lighting?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Sorry Eyce for not being clearer on my post. The display is fine, and the unit works fine. just at night with the head lights on do you only notice the illumination not being there for some of the buttons.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave H.
The dealership is the best (possibly only) place to get those bulbs. They aren't cheap either. IF I remember right, they're around $5 each, but I may be wrong.

David
damn expensive, cheaper to wire leds in.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:12 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Ringo1965
Hey guys, any help on this post will be grateful. Halve of my AC/heater control unit will not light up. I am assuming that some of the bulbs have burned out. I would like to remove the unit, and just replace the standard bulbs. Everything that I have read on this subject seems to be a mod. Does anyone know the standard bulb that I need to replace this bulb? How many? Where can I find them? And if so, will I also need to use a resistor like I have read in so many stickey's?
Don't bother with the dealership. Chances are that they will tell you they don't stock the bulbs and instead they'll try to sell you the entire climate control unit - that's what they told me. I walked out and went to radioshack.

I bought these bulbs. Radio shack part # 272-1092. They were in stock at the local store. didn't have to order them:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Installation is a breeze. No soldering, no resistors. Remove old ones & replace.

IIRC, there are 4 bulbs in the unit. The radio shack bulbs are slightly thinner than the OEM bulbs. So, the blue latex covers that line the OEM bulbs will be a little to big to fit snugly over the radio shack bulbs. I was able to rig something up though - I tried a dab of Krazy glue but it just made a huge mess. IIRC, I just put the plastic cover over the bulb , stuffed it back into the hole and called it a day. I should also note that the blue covers were practically seized onto my OEM bulbs. When I tried to remove a couple of them, they basically disintegrated in my fingers.

As far as light output, do not worry about the bulbs being slightly smaller than OEM. The radio shack bulbs are cheaper, work just fine and appear to be much more resilient than the OEM bulbs.

Last edited by CRiME; 10-16-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:38 AM

Whoa whoa, wait a minute.

I asked because, the other night I was driving and realized...hey, I wonder why the climate controls don't light up...

I has always just figured they never did...because I got the car passed down to me and never noticed them lighting up.

You mean to tell me those are all supposed to??? WTH!?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:27 PM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Eyce

I asked because, the other night I was driving and realized...hey, I wonder why the climate controls don't light up...

I has always just figured they never did...because I got the car passed down to me and never noticed them lighting up.

Yep, they're supposed to light up. Don't worry man, I've seen several people post that same response many times, since these bulbs blow out so often.... Pretty sure there are a bunch of people out there (like me) who bought their 4th gens with the bulbs already blown and just never thought anything of it . I figured something had to have been wrong, though, when I'd often be fumbling around in the dark trying to find the right button
Old 10-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ng-lights.html

See post 16.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:16 PM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Hey a special thanks to CRiME & Sparky1562!!! Replaced all 4 bulbs on the Climate control unit, The defroster button light, and the ash tray light! I have never taken any of the panels off of my car. I was able to follow the disassembly by reading other modes. difficulty grade for a beginner I would say a B! It took me a little over a 1 1/2 hours, but I also took my time and cleaned everything as I reassembled. Thank you guys! Quick note: I just crushed the bulbs with my fingers before I removed the blue cover. Rolled it around between my fingers, and the bulb came right out with out tearing up the blue cover.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eyce

i found out there's bulbs there when i read a write up on swapping in leds.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Lol! Oh My God!

That is way too funny, because just the other night as I'm driving It just popped into my head "wait, why the hell do those not light up!?"

Now I don't know if it's worth fixing or not...not like I knew anyways!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do you get to those heater control light bulbs ?
Old 11-01-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by savage
How do you get to those heater control light bulbs ?
pull out the ac controls. you have to pull off the shifter cover, pop out the center vents, move the ashtray over and then you'll be looking at 4 bolts - 2 on top and 2 on bottom - of the center panel. remove those, swing out the top of the center panel and remove 4 bolts - 2 on each side - from the ac control unit. you'll see 4 brown "screw" kinda things. undo them and you got to the bulbs.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 AM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

Update Post!
For those who would be looking for a standard bulb for your climate control, hazard light, rear defroster buttons, and ash tray light. (I'm sure these bulbs are used in other areas that I have not had to replace yet) I went to www.mcmaster.com. I ordered trade number bulb #7219. McMaster part#1505K414, 10 bulbs for $9. No need for resistors just install and go. Also since you destroy the little blue color silicone covers on the original bulbs I ordered colored light bulb covers McMaster part# 16925K11. 10 covers for $4. I ordered the blue but they also come in amber, green, red, and yellow. I just cut the length to what the bulb was that protruding out of the socket. I am more than satisfied to have all my lights working again.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 PM

You can go to Radio Shack and get 2 packages of bulbs.

#7219 Micro Lamp
272-1092 pkg of 2.
$1.79

The bulbs on the AC Control unit are bigger and have a blue filter. The radio shack bulbs fit in the socket without modification. However the blue filters do not fit. If you don't use the blue filters, the illumination is orange instead of blue. You can use the same lamp for the other lights like the hazard switch if you blew that out too.

I just installed mine. Apparently I blew them all out when I jostled everything by removing the radio to fix the display.

Last edited by v_c@yahoo.com; 01-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 AM

let us know what you decide to do
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 AM

good info here on the climate control lights
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 AM

Anyone have pictures? I believe I should have lights for my hazard and rear defroster too. I want to know exactly what needs to be lit up so I know. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 AM

one bulb for the hazard
two bulbs for the defroster
four bulbs for the AC control
Old 01-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone post a link to step by step console panel removal instructions with pictures? I want to try to replace the LED in the climate control for a 1995 Maxima but I want to avoid doing damage. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 AM

yeah, im going to do mines soon
my lights are out too
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM
1997 Nissan Maxima SE

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Nissan/Maxima.html
This should get you started in the right direction. Read the rest of the posts, and you will do fine
Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The suggestion to get the lights from radio shack is highly valuable. I go to school in richmond kentucky and all the dealers quoted me about 4.50 a light. Then Gates Nissan of Richmond Kentucky quoted me over six dollars a bulb. I asked them why they were quoting more than $2 over the price of almost every other dealer, they said that nissan dealers get different parts for different prices. Okay.

The guy at advance auto on big hill avenue in richmond said "no, it's a dealer part" WRONG!!!!!!
Check this out DUDE!
They must think I am an idiot... man made Maxima, therefor man can fix Maxima himself.... hmmmmm take sh*t apart.... ohhhh! thats how that works.....

Radio shack: ask them for the 12 volt microlamp... you take the bulbs in the way they are straight out of the unit and radio shack will say "uhhhhh errrrr umm look at these does that look like it????" NO!

Just give them the part number from above, re thread the bulbs into the base and replace the blue covers (as many as you can salvage they are likely melted to the old bulbs; improvisation required at this step)

Like he said they are not the same but they work... Enjoy pressing the correct button on your automatic climate control when on the expressway at night!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

when you put the blue filter back over the bulb you need to have the filter sliiping just barely over the edge of the brown socket..... I see that I wasn't clear about that above.....