Has Anyone Changed Their Fog Lights To LEDs? - Maxima Forums

Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima Discussions > 8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Changed Their Fog Lights To LEDs?

8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Has Anyone Changed Their Fog Lights To LEDs?

Old 09-14-2015, 01:48 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Has Anyone Changed Their Fog Lights To LEDs?

Has anyone changed their halogen fog lights to LEDs? I'm wanting to change mine because I can't stand the fact that my headlights are LED while my fog lights are the more yellow halogens. I'm trying to find out how easy or hard it is to do and if there were any issues. Any feedback is appreciated.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 09-14-2015, 02:06 PM
  #2  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Nassau County, NY
Posts: 11
I'm looking to do the same with mine as well in the coming weeks...would love to see what people have done/found too!


I'm purchasing an HID kit 1st with that to follow.
MaxLife17 is offline  
Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 102
I have. See pics in this thread below. I will say, not to get H11 LED's. That's what I did, and now I have moisture and condensation every morning and when it rains in the fog housings. I am returning them and bought H16 LED's. Hope they work out better. HIDs are over kill for fogs especially in our application cause there is (4) bulbs!

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...eadlights.html
mpbclutch33 is offline  
Old 09-15-2015, 07:27 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by mpbclutch33 View Post
I have. See pics in this thread below. I will say, not to get H11 LED's. That's what I did, and now I have moisture and condensation every morning and when it rains in the fog housings. I am returning them and bought H16 LED's. Hope they work out better. HIDs are over kill for fogs especially in our application cause there is (4) bulbs!

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...eadlights.html
I thought I remembered that you had done yours, but for some reason I thought you just did your headlights and had done HIDs. I'm not very knowledgable about switching to LEDs. I had seen some videos online where you just replace the standard bulb with an LED. Does this not work on our car, or is it not a good option? You also noted that you had to place a larger fuse. Why is this? Don't LED's have a lower draw?
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 09-15-2015, 07:46 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 102
Verizon Wireless

I think you are getting confused with different people. I tried to install a Morimoto Elite HID H11 Kit and had issues. TRS is sending me replacement parts as we speak for the low beams. Hopefully that will work this time. The fog lights are H16 (Type 2 or H Type) Bulbs. If you go LED for the Fogs, they will look bright, match HID's in the lows and run cooler and just be as simple as changing a bulb but they really don't throw a lot of usable light on the road. HID's in the fogs (IMO) is crazy. There are (4) bulbs so thats two kits, and the H16 bulbs are only rated at 19w so sticking 2 HID bulbs in each housing could be dangerous.
mpbclutch33 is offline  
Old 09-15-2015, 07:48 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 102
I ordered H11 LED Bulbs for the Fogs and have moisture issues. Returning them for H16 LEDs. I would imagine upgrading the fuse was for the person who did the HIDs in there.
mpbclutch33 is offline  
Old 09-15-2015, 08:31 AM
  #7  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by mpbclutch33 View Post
I ordered H11 LED Bulbs for the Fogs and have moisture issues. Returning them for H16 LEDs. I would imagine upgrading the fuse was for the person who did the HIDs in there.
Got it. Thank you.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 07:56 AM
  #8  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
mpbclutch33 what H16 bulbs did you get and do they plug right into existing harness? Thanks
meccanj98 is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 08:24 AM
  #10  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by mpbclutch33 View Post
If you could please post here how the install went, how you accessed them, and some post-install pictures, that would be great.

I noticed that the LEDs you bought are 6000k. Has anyone on the forum figured out the exact color temperature of the headlight LEDs on the 2016 Maxima?


Thanks

Last edited by doctorpullit; 09-17-2015 at 08:27 AM.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 06:38 AM
  #11  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
mpbclutch33 did you install those fogs yet?
meccanj98 is offline  
Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 102
I just got my car back from the dealer last night. Hoping I get some time this weekend to install them and finish installing the HID's. I will post pics when I get it done.
mpbclutch33 is offline  
Old 09-28-2015, 05:53 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 102
Finally got my HIDs and LED Fogs installed. Pics dont do them justice. They look great and they match pretty well. Pretty happy. Hope both of them last.....

mpbclutch33 is offline  
Old 09-28-2015, 02:47 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: King George, VA
Posts: 86
Mpbclutch33, looks awesome. How long did the fog bulb replacement take? What do I need to get besides the bulbs. Any instructions on how to do it?
adamgalazka is offline  
Old 09-28-2015, 03:21 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 102
They are plug-n-play. I had my bumper off to do the HID'S so it was a lot easier. I also put some silicone around the fog light housings and bulbs cause I have already had moisture issues. So far so good.


Originally Posted by adamgalazka View Post
Mpbclutch33, looks awesome. How long did the fog bulb replacement take? What do I need to get besides the bulbs. Any instructions on how to do it?
mpbclutch33 is offline  
Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 PM
  #16  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
I made the change to LED fog light bulbs today. These things are crazy bright and I think they look much better than the yellow halogens that came from the factory.

Appearance of fog lights in daylight:




Last edited by doctorpullit; 10-05-2015 at 07:50 PM.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-05-2015, 07:17 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 30
So how did you change the bulbs? Thanks!
KatsMax is offline  
Old 10-05-2015, 07:47 PM
  #18  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by KatsMax View Post
So how did you change the bulbs? Thanks!
Take a look at this that I posted:

https://maxima.org/forums/8th-genera...og-lights.html
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by doctorpullit View Post
Sorry, I missed your post. Big help! Thanks!
KatsMax is offline  
Old 10-08-2015, 07:44 AM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 227
I just realized I had taken pics when I originally swapped mine out but never shared them. I will also agree, makes a huge difference. The ones I bought are 6k bulbs...although I'm pleased with the look, I think 5k would be a better choice IMO.









spidgeon is offline  
Old 10-08-2015, 08:15 AM
  #21  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
I agree. I would have rather had 5000k. I like a purer white and I think it would have been closer to the LED headlights. But I think these will do and still look good. I've been looking around at other people's fog lights as I drive around and it seems that for the most part the only ones that are a good match with the headlights are the halogens., which, of course we didn't want. lol
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-08-2015, 11:37 AM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by doctorpullit View Post
I agree. I would have rather had 5000k. I like a purer white and I think it would have been closer to the LED headlights. But I think these will do and still look good. I've been looking around at other people's fog lights as I drive around and it seems that for the most part the only ones that are a good match with the headlights are the halogens., which, of course we didn't want. lol
These are pretty bright, but I'm now currently looking for 5k's...if you happen to find any good ones, please post.
spidgeon is offline  
Old 10-08-2015, 11:52 AM
  #23  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by spidgeon View Post
These are pretty bright, but I'm now currently looking for 5k's...if you happen to find any good ones, please post.
If you could do the same, or pm me, I would greatly appreciate it.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-08-2015, 06:32 PM
  #24  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 227
Found these beasts...they're crazy bright at 2800 lumens each. I think these are too bright tho and would overtake the led headlights.

http://www.vleds.com/vx3-h11-h16-280...ht-1-pair.html
spidgeon is offline  
Old 10-08-2015, 07:10 PM
  #25  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by spidgeon View Post
Found these beasts...they're crazy bright at 2800 lumens each. I think these are too bright tho and would overtake the led headlights.

http://www.vleds.com/vx3-h11-h16-280...ht-1-pair.html
You just think those are bright...... that site also has some that would work that are 3000 lumens. That would be like driving with the sun on the front of your car. They have another 5000k bulb that would work, but it's 850 lumens. I'm not sure that would be bright enough.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-12-2015, 07:41 PM
  #26  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
what kind of issues?

Originally Posted by mpbclutch33 View Post
I think you are getting confused with different people. I tried to install a Morimoto Elite HID H11 Kit and had issues. TRS is sending me replacement parts as we speak for the low beams. Hopefully that will work this time. The fog lights are H16 (Type 2 or H Type) Bulbs. If you go LED for the Fogs, they will look bright, match HID's in the lows and run cooler and just be as simple as changing a bulb but they really don't throw a lot of usable light on the road. HID's in the fogs (IMO) is crazy. There are (4) bulbs so thats two kits, and the H16 bulbs are only rated at 19w so sticking 2 HID bulbs in each housing could be dangerous.
You mentioned you had issues with Morimoto elite hid kit. What kind of issues did you ran into? Also did you had to get extra bulb out warning resistors or did reg hid kit worked in this car?
Kalrakam is offline  
Old 10-12-2015, 07:47 PM
  #27  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
6k bulbs

Originally Posted by spidgeon View Post
I just realized I had taken pics when I originally swapped mine out but never shared them. I will also agree, makes a huge difference. The ones I bought are 6k bulbs...although I'm pleased with the look, I think 5k would be a better choice IMO.









6k bulbs yoy mentioned...are you talking about fogs or headlights? Where did you buy your fogs from?any moisture issues?
Kalrakam is offline  
Old 10-12-2015, 07:49 PM
  #28  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 34
fogs

Originally Posted by doctorpullit View Post
You just think those are bright...... that site also has some that would work that are 3000 lumens. That would be like driving with the sun on the front of your car. They have another 5000k bulb that would work, but it's 850 lumens. I'm not sure that would be bright enough.
Did you happen to try these out?
Kalrakam is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 05:02 AM
  #29  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Maryland
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Kalrakam View Post
You mentioned you had issues with Morimoto elite hid kit. What kind of issues did you ran into? Also did you had to get extra bulb out warning resistors or did reg hid kit worked in this car?
I apparently got a bad batch of bulb connectors. I contacted TRS and they sent out replacements and all it good now. The kit appears to be great quality and I have had no issues since. And no warnings or resistors needed. Just the relay harness with the kit.
mpbclutch33 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 06:08 AM
  #30  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by Kalrakam View Post
Did you happen to try these out?
No. The 3000 lumens would be too bright. The 800 lumens might be bright enough, but I'm happy with the 1200 lumens of the fog light bulbs I installed.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 07:05 AM
  #31  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by doctorpullit View Post
I made the change to LED fog light bulbs today. These things are crazy bright and I think they look much better than the yellow halogens that came from the factory.

Appearance of fog lights in daylight:




What bulbs did you end up getting?
Max8 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 09:53 AM
  #33  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 86
we need to order 2 right? Did I read right somewhere that the foglights take 4 bulbs?
TonyMaximaSR is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:33 AM
  #35  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by TonyMaximaSR View Post
we need to order 2 right? Did I read right somewhere that the foglights take 4 bulbs?
Yes. Order two packages of two. There are two bulbs in each fog light housing, so you need four bulbs total.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 AM
  #36  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by Max8 View Post
Thanks, Dr!
My pleasure. Let us know how the installation goes.
doctorpullit is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 AM
  #37  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by doctorpullit View Post
Yes. Order two packages of two. There are two bulbs in each fog light housing, so you need four bulbs total.
Awesome! thanks for the info
TonyMaximaSR is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 11:00 AM
  #38  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 255
Originally Posted by doctorpullit View Post
My pleasure. Let us know how the installation goes.
Will do. Looks easy from your instructions on another thread. They're going to take a week to get here. Didn't spring for the 2 day shipping.
Max8 is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 03:22 PM
  #39  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by Kalrakam View Post
6k bulbs yoy mentioned...are you talking about fogs or headlights? Where did you buy your fogs from?any moisture issues?
Fogs. Originally bought 800 lumen bulbs off vleds, but was unhappy with the brightness...ended up getting the JDM Astar bulbs mentioned...very bright. Funny you should mention moisture...my driverside fogs have it, but not the passenger side. Not sure how to clear this up, have to research a bit.
spidgeon is offline  
Old 10-13-2015, 04:08 PM
  #40  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by spidgeon View Post
Fogs. Originally bought 800 lumen bulbs off vleds, but was unhappy with the brightness...ended up getting the JDM Astar bulbs mentioned...very bright. Funny you should mention moisture...my driverside fogs have it, but not the passenger side. Not sure how to clear this up, have to research a bit.
Did they have moisture issues before you put in the JDM Astar bulbs?
doctorpullit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has Anyone Changed Their Fog Lights To LEDs?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.