4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what do you think of my orange corners??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:57 PM

what do you think of my orange corners??

my first time with the headlight vinyl
so what do you think?
and kudos to mr****s95se for doing it first.

Ill post some better pics and a night time pic later
Old 10-26-2008, 02:03 PM

From what I can make of the picture, it looks pretty good.

David
Old 10-26-2008, 02:05 PM

looks good. i like how they match the bumper lights.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:21 PM

clean install.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:37 PM

looks good.. real kleen install there bro
Old 10-26-2008, 05:40 PM

i like the look, ive had it on my car for about a year. i think you should do the other half of the bumper light too. IMO it looks better when its done with paint.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:45 PM

here are some night time pics

they didnt come out the greatest but you get the point.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
i like the look, ive had it on my car for about a year. i think you should do the other half of the bumper light too. IMO it looks better when its done with paint.
painting them was my first idea but all the stained glass paint I found was either too yellow or too red for my taste. what paint did you use?
I also like the idea of being able to take them off.(it was a pia though)
its hard to tell from your pic that you have them otherwise I would have given you credit also.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:06 PM

i used a dupli-color rattle can paint. i forget the exact name but it had a metallic orange top. it came out perfect on the lenses, not orange but true amber.

the corners were real easy to take off. one screw and a joint that has to be popped out. you can do it in between the headlight and corne light gap with a small flat head. the first time might be tricky. i taped off the weather stripping on the corner and sprayed them and a set of ebay clear bumpers so it all would match. than clear coat.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:14 PM

looks good. more detailed pics please. also what vinyl did you use?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The vinyl looks bad. Its way too orange and cloudy. Looks like a pumpkin. I painted mine, many moons ago. I believe I was the 1st.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
The vinyl looks bad. Its way too orange and cloudy. Looks like a pumpkin. I painted mine, many moons ago. I believe I was the 1st.
So what paint did you use? I think the cloudyness is a combo of the pic being crappy and the fact that the 96 lights are glass and more cloudy than the 97-99s that you have. But I know what you mean about the pumkin orange though.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:15 PM

Jsutter pointed me in the right direction as well! I still love the look.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 PM

I agree with jsutter, from the pictures, it look very cloudy and doesn't look right. Maybe its the pictures.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM

jsutter and chillen014 did you guys spray from the outside or inside? what paint was used? and did you guys paint clear bumper lights to match or maybe ebay ambers?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:30 PM

to each their own.!!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 AM

no offense here guys but yuck, mods are supposed to take you AWAY from the stock look, right???
Old 10-27-2008, 06:31 AM

When I was 16, the answer to everything was to BLACK lights out or put a different colored bulb in there. And then I grew up and realized how little it mattered and how ricer it looked. Ultimately...who cares if your corner lights are clear?!?! I think that is the real cheesy-ness. I understand everyone has their own style. But I also do NOT believe that looking different correlates directly with looking good or even standing out.
Not to mention, have you seen how ****ty light output is when you tint or black out over a light? Hella cheesy at night.
This is what most clear lights remind me of. Those corny *** phones.
That's my personal reasoning. I let the performance do the talking. And it's also a much better use of money.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Not liking the look.
Install looks ok.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:28 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by max ride 41
no offense here guys but yuck, mods are supposed to take you AWAY from the stock look, right???
Word. All clear or all smoked in the front is the only way to go. Makes the car look much cleaner and modern.

Orange lights like that = car still looking like it belongs in the mid-90's.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Offset Is Everything.

I painted the insides of mine using Vans lens paint. I never used that lamin-x stuff. Jsutter was the first. people just never caught on.

Originally Posted by IlyaK
it is a car made in the mid-90's...
Old 10-27-2008, 12:26 PM

u used the orange vans lens paint right? who was the one i heard used yellow stained glass paint in like 10 coats or so? would that have the same effect as the vans?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 PM

Word. All clear or all smoked in the front is the only way to go. Makes the car look much cleaner and modern.

Oh is that why yall go to such lengths to get rid of the amber? In that case, let me tell ya, your probably fooling people on the daily into thinking your riding in one sweet 350Z.

I guess Honda is really dragging *** on getting rid of the ambers still into 08 as well.

As Mr****s said....the car was produced in the 90's hence appearing as such. Fight it all you want.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by blackout2
jsutter and chillen014 did you guys spray from the outside or inside? what paint was used? and did you guys paint clear bumper lights to match or maybe ebay ambers?
Outside. You can't get a color match to the originals so yes the clears must be painted as well. I used some Testors yellow stained class spray paint..which you can get at hobby shops. The lid is the color of this smiley but after many many coats it will bring it to amber/orange.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Clears on the front end makes a car look cheap and washed out. I equate it with altezzas, personally. I too thought anything aftermarket or different was better than stock. Then I evolved. Amber 4 lyfe son...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Banned

meh...
Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by chillin014
Oh is that why yall go to such lengths to get rid of the amber? In that case, let me tell ya, your probably fooling people on the daily into thinking your riding in one sweet 350Z.

I guess Honda is really dragging *** on getting rid of the ambers still into 08 as well.

As Mr****s said....the car was produced in the 90's hence appearing as such. Fight it all you want.

The Civic amber looks 100x better than the Maxima amber. I think it's the bumper lense that kills the whole look. Maybe if you painted the euroclear corner/bumper instead of the stock OEM ones it would look better.

Civic looks better, but I'd still clear it out. If you don't want to clear it out....at least do the orange on a euroclear set. It'll make it look much cleaner.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM

I mod to make the car look how "I" like, not to be different from stock. I like the jdm look of amber corners. so I started experimenting, because when I asked on the org a few months ago I got no responses from anyone who had done it. besides the max never came with amber corners (although I feel it should have)so how does it look stock?? and I think most other people mod to make the car look better than stock not just modding to change things.

as soon as I find some nice paint Im going to try that. I only gave credit to mr****s95se because he was the only other one on here that I ever saw with amber corners so my apologies for the mistake.

I am trying to get the corners as close to the amber in the tails as possible. this was my first attempt

Last edited by j2b4osan; 10-27-2008 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Well...as the thread titles states..you were asking for our opinion. Not if you think it's a good idea or not..so don't be offended when people say it looks like a grandma car because of the ambers. We all know you did it because of how YOU like it we were just sharing our opinion. Don't make a thread asking "what do you think of my orange corners??" if you don't want to hear what everyone has to say.

Anyway, I personally like how the amber corners sit with the front end of our cars. I'd do it except I think my bumper lenses has enough orange for the front end so I'll have to let this mod go. Your corner lenses do look faded out with melted orange crayons, j2b4osan. If you decide to redo the paint to make it more clear I think it would look a lot better.

Good luck with this mod!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:05 PM

^^ I never said anything to indicate that I didnt want to hear everyones opinion, or that I didnt like someone's response, I merely answered a question. ?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM

The Civic amber looks 100x better than the Maxima amber. I think it's the bumper lense that kills the whole look. Maybe if you painted the euroclear corner/bumper instead of the stock OEM ones it would look better.

Civic looks better, but I'd still clear it out. If you don't want to clear it out....at least do the orange on a euroclear set. It'll make it look much cleaner.
Those are "euro clear" lights that I painted over. I did a sloppy job on mine because I wasn't sure how it'd come out and at that point I really didn't care to mess with such trivial crap anymore. Jsutter nailed it with his picture though. That to me is a perfect look. This may be a topic based on matter of opinion but I still think people should voice basis for their opinion.
If you guys think "amber" is a grandma's car or outdated look I think you've got a close minded viewpoint. Especially because from my experience its those who go all out clearing and tinting everything on their car that have no money in anything performance related and in-fact uphold the weak characteristics.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Offset Is Everything.

one of the reasons why it looks better is because the amber is actually a reflector placed inside the housing. the lens itself is actually clear. youll find that on a lot of headlight housings nowadays.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I too used to think anything other than stock was cool. Having after market lights are just a cheap way to show off. Usually the other mods end up being a fart can or a big azz tip, NOS seat covers, and colored valve stems. LOL. I had cloudy clears in 03 on a 96. I didnt even have my license yet for chrissakes. It was a cheap mod to let others know I was in the 'game'. I got sick of the look after a short while. The clears just look cheesy. When I bought my 98 in 04 it had DC clears. I couldn't wait to swap them for stock. I have tried just about all combos and finally stuck with stock.

The amber lights when done correctly look great. I needed some cash so I sold mine. I painted them with krylon stained glass paint, on the out side. I got the paint at Michaels, a crafts store. I didnt clear coat them but should have. The bumper lights are cloudy clears painted to match. I opted for CC over DC because of the reflectors. Safety is more important than looking cool.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
I painted them with krylon stained glass paint, on the out side. I got the paint at Michaels, a crafts store. I didnt clear coat them but should have.
did you use alot of coats? I have that paint but I threw a quick 2 coats on some plexi and thought it was real yellow. but yours looked like what Im looking for. I guess Ill just throw some coats on later this week. did you use an adhesion promoter as a primer before painting? thanks for the info.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:30 PM

Exactly where I'm coming from. When I was 16 those were the first things I did....now I'm almost 20 and very much done trying to make the car something it isn't (for lack of better words). This is a 90's Nissan product and if anything I want to support that, not disguise it.

I'm also a part of the muscle car crowd and you'd be ignorant to write them off as "outdated" or "out of style" based on their stock look...they are representational of a time period passed, much like our 4th gens are.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 PM

i bought my 99 maxima yesturday, and yes its my first one. and me coming from the honda world were everyone and there mom's a jdm bandwagoner, this bandwagon thread(with honda's) did come to mind. i think it looks pretty good because of the turn signals. maybe if you smoke them along with the headlights might look a little bit more "modern" since thats the word that some are throwing out in this thread.

mods are supposed to take you AWAY from the stock look, right???
^^^maybe for you but i think the trend/style right now i originality instead of whats in or whats out...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by j2b4osan
did you use alot of coats? I have that paint but I threw a quick 2 coats on some plexi and thought it was real yellow. but yours looked like what Im looking for. I guess Ill just throw some coats on later this week. did you use an adhesion promoter as a primer before painting? thanks for the info.
Ya its yellow paint but after many many coats it becomes amber.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 PM

thats mine at one point into painting it.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:55 PM

so did either of you use an adhesion promoter before the paint?
Old 10-27-2008, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
i bought my 99 maxima yesturday, and yes its my first one. and me coming from the honda world were everyone and there mom's a jdm bandwagoner, this bandwagon thread(with honda's) did come to mind. i think it looks pretty good because of the turn signals. maybe if you smoke them along with the headlights might look a little bit more "modern" since thats the word that some are throwing out in this thread.

^^^maybe for you but i think the trend/style right now i originality instead of whats in or whats out...
from day one i wanted clear corners to get the goddamn *** *** ambers off the car. as soon as they came out with a black clear i was all over it cause it flowed better with the car 100%. i have bm1 blue ftw and think they look 1000x better with a black clear more modern looking lens. stick with those puke *** fugly ambers, i've never seen another max with black clear corners like mine, so im 1 of a kind in my area!!!

Quick Reply: what do you think of my orange corners??