4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

DYNOMAT the rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 05:13 PM

DYNOMAT the rear

has anyone put dynomat on their car to reduce exhaust noise????
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM

No, i love the sound of my exhaust.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by gunmax
has anyone put dynomat on their car to reduce exhaust noise????
Many people have put sound deadening material in their cars, yes. What is your specific question? Have you searched for this information at all?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Many people have put sound deadening material in their cars, yes. What is your specific question? Have you searched for this information at all?
well... the question is quiet simple... my exhasut is too loud and im tryin to reduce the noise inside the cabin? im tryin to find out if it works or not? no i havent searched for any info on this issue.

so does it work? how much dynomat should i use and where do i apply it to?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:21 PM
No more Maximas...

well... the question is quiet simple... my exhasut is too loud and im tryin to reduce the noise inside the cabin? im tryin to find out if it works or not? no i havent searched for any info on this issue.

so does it work? how much dynomat should i use and where do i apply it to?
There's your problem.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

/\ +1

OP: What about a really good resonator? Do you even have a resonator at the moment? What's your total exhaust setup?

Dynomat will work, but you'll have to line more than your trunk to muffle the sound. You're better off addressing the resonator/muffler issue first IMO.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
/\ +1

OP: What about a really good resonator? Do you even have a resonator at the moment? What's your total exhaust setup?

Dynomat will work, but you'll have to line more than your trunk to muffle the sound. You're better off addressing the resonator/muffler issue first IMO.
i have a fully greddy evo2 catback with a stillen y pipe. im tryin to avoid another resonator due to if i wanna sell the exhaust later.

so your sayin i have to double the layer of dynamat in the trunk? will changing the muffler help out... maybe to the cattman? thats the only other muffler i like?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Administrator

i have a fully greddy evo2 catback with a stillen y pipe. im tryin to avoid another resonator due to if i wanna sell the exhaust later.

so your sayin i have to double the layer of dynamat in the trunk? will changing the muffler help out... maybe to the cattman? thats the only other muffler i like?
Yes, Cattman's muffler will help out, but what will really help out the most is his full catback because his resonator works so well. I know this from experience.

You'll have to pull up the carpet and start dynomatting the whole car as well as the trunk if you want to battle the loud exhaust. But that only works when the windows are up. When they're down, the dynomat isn't going to do much IMO.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Banned

well fwiw all the weight of the deadening your going to have to do to drop it 10Dbs or so will outweight, no pun intended, any performance gains your getting for your exhaust. your going to need a crap ton of deadener and just not dynomat, ontop of that your trunk contrubtes little to your exhaust noise you need to deaden the entire ENTIRE passenger compartment which is going to run you over 400 bucks to do easily. that is to achieve the results you want.

that being said, just install a big rez in there. whoever you sell the pipes to later can remove it if they want.

when i had a very simliar setup on my 4th gen to yours i installed a small rez which i then replaced with a bigger one and it still was horrible on the highways. i ended up just turning up the stereo and dealing with it not much more you can do unless you go ape **** on crazy deadening which will add 200lbs to your car...

good luck.

i say just deal with it.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:05 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

the question is quiet simple... my exhasut is too loud and im tryin to reduce the noise inside the cabin?
Your answer is quite simple as well. Put a quiet exhaust system on and the noise will magically go away. Dynamat is not going to cut down on the noise your exhaust system makes. Nor is it going to stop the noise from coming through the windows, doors, ect....