4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ignition/Trans/or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Ignition/Trans/or something else?

Ok..have a 96 Max....auto...130,000 - car had a weird like WOT hesitation issue in 3rd before it went into overdrive..had been thinking it was the tranny slipping..but not like revving out and catching..almost like i was hitting a rev limiter of sorts...so i changed out the plugs this past weekend but didn't have a chance to really drive it much till yesterday and today..and now the hesitation or whatever i am feeling is in all the gears...under part throttle the car runs and accelerates fine....but floor it and it's like i'm hitting a wall every 200 rpm...there is no CEL or any other indication anything is wrong. Car seems to shift fine...so i'm thinking it may be ignition coils? if i have a bad one wouldn't there be a misfire CEL of some sort? I'm a master at VW'S and their ignition coil issues, but when one goes the boost backs off and you get a flashing CEL...here there is no indication...i'm at a loss...plugs i took out were NGK'S..ones i put in were Bosch Platnium and gapped to the spec called for....any help would be really appreciated.....thoughts? Any way to test the individual coils? any of them known to be a problem?

Dan
Old 11-12-2008, 10:11 AM

I had the same problem as you did. After replacing the plugs with the proper kind(NGK platinum) and also all the filters and cleaning of TB, IACV and that all was fixed. I think the biggest change was when I changed the plugs. The once in the car were some $2.50 POS kind. If you don't want to go with plats since they are pricey there are very good copper NGKs you can get. I don't remember the part number but if you do a little search they will come up somewhere.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by djipka
I had the same problem as you did. After replacing the plugs with the proper kind(NGK platinum) and also all the filters and cleaning of TB, IACV and that all was fixed. I think the biggest change was when I changed the plugs. The once in the car were some $2.50 POS kind. If you don't want to go with plats since they are pricey there are very good copper NGKs you can get. I don't remember the part number but if you do a little search they will come up somewhere.
well he had NGKs and put in BOSH.

about your problem, do you have a aftermarket intake?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get rid of the BOSH plugs, they don't like our ignition system.

From what you describe, sounds like failing coils. They will show their weekness under load, even more so with the BOSH plugs.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:52 PM

no aftermarket mods at all.....totally stock....

I was thinking it could be coils....and maybe the plugs were also not helping..car is just a daily.....car orginally had NGK's and this problem wasn't as hardocre until i put in the Bosch plugs...what plugs should i use? and should i do all the coils? or just the long or short ones? best place to get a deal on them? thanks for all the help guys... please point me in the right direction....
Old 11-13-2008, 04:58 AM

definately ignition.....is there a way to test the coils without replacing them one by one? can a parts place like autozone or advance auto parts test these types of individual coils? are they really like $80 each new? i need help finding a place to get them a little cheaper...and plugs that i should put in it..help please????

Dan
Old 11-13-2008, 05:53 AM

You need to use the NKG Ix series Iridium plugs - they should cost about $8 each
Old 11-13-2008, 07:34 AM

Ouch...ok....any way to have the individual coils tested or is it just hit and miss and pull them out and put a new one in to see if it goes away? does one bank or one cylinder fry coils faster than any others?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by gold96
You need to use the NKG Ix series Iridium plugs - they should cost about $8 each
No need for that. there are NGK copper once for about $3 a piece. As I said earlier do a search on here and the model of the plugs.
Also I had a thread some time ago that all this was talked about. do a serch with my name and it will come up.

there is a way to test the coils with a multimeter. you can get the info from the FSM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 AM

here is a little favor for ya
the NGk copper are BKR5E-11 and they cost less than $3 a piece.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:44 PM

thanks very much...pulling out my meter this weekend to test for resistance..and new plugs will go in...
Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM

here is a link will all the FSMs by years
http://boredmder.com/FSM/Nissan/Maxima/