4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Would Installing shocks/struts from 99 SE on 95 GLE make my ride stiffer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 07:01 AM

Would Installing shocks/struts from 99 SE on 95 GLE make my ride stiffer?

???
Old 11-13-2001, 07:05 AM
I'm so hood

I would think so, but if I'm not correct, there are other small suspension changes in the SE when compared to the GLE, such as poly bushings. But I don't have a comprehensive list of what's different...

Also, if you'd consider doing the above, perhaps it may be better to go with aftermarket shocks that serve the same purpose. It depends I guess on how easy it'd be for you to get the SE shocks (like if you already have them from a friend or something). Just doign the switch above would probably make the ride a little stiffer, but if you're going for all-out cornering-speed stiffness, I think you'll have to do a lot more to the suspension to get there (ie, lowering springs, etc).
Old 11-13-2001, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
I would think so, but if I'm not correct, there are other small suspension changes in the SE when compared to the GLE, such as poly bushings. But I don't have a comprehensive list of what's different...

Also, if you'd consider doing the above, perhaps it may be better to go with aftermarket shocks that serve the same purpose. It depends I guess on how easy it'd be for you to get the SE shocks (like if you already have them from a friend or something). Just doign the switch above would probably make the ride a little stiffer, but if you're going for all-out cornering-speed stiffness, I think you'll have to do a lot more to the suspension to get there (ie, lowering springs, etc).
I dont want to lower my car. I live in NYC and anyone who lowers their car living here is just crazy. I just want stiffer ride and dont want to spend so much money on performance shocks as i dont plan on keeping these car for very long time. Maybe 2-3 yrs.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you feel your ride is too bouncy, that is, you get too much REBOUND (when you go over a bump the car goes up and down a lot), shocks/struts will help to eliminate this. If it's body roll you are trying to prevent (leaning on corners), you can get a FSTB and RSB (the latter doing more) to prevent roll.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:29 AM

I already have FSTB and it did make diff. on body roll but I still feel body roll making turns and i could only go 60mph at some turns which are suppose to be 40mph. and i still get lotta body roll....
Old 11-13-2001, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Using shocks/struts from an 99SE will be the same as the 95 GLE.. its the same struts/shocks.. the only difference is the 99 would be newer..

Honestly.. you want a nice NYC ride? get H&R and KYB.. the H&R are performance Springs that do not give up any ride quality, actually it has a better ride quality from stock setup, it gives you a nice lowered look and better handling. I live in CT and i used to head to NYC every weekend and when i had H&R's everyone said it was great ride, not harsh, a little stiff but that brings great control. I would advice you to ride in someones car with H&R and see if the ride is too much for you, but i assure you its fine for NYC..

that is whats so great about meets in areas because you get a chance to try out mods before you buy them. I would tell you to post in the NE forum and see if anyone in NYC or in your area has H&R's and see if you like them.. I loved them.. they were a great ride.. you can trust me on this one..
Old 11-13-2001, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
Using shocks/struts from an 99SE will be the same as the 95 GLE.. its the same struts/shocks.. the only difference is the 99 would be newer..

Honestly.. you want a nice NYC ride? get H&R and KYB.. the H&R are performance Springs that do not give up any ride quality, actually it has a better ride quality from stock setup, it gives you a nice lowered look and better handling. I live in CT and i used to head to NYC every weekend and when i had H&R's everyone said it was great ride, not harsh, a little stiff but that brings great control. I would advice you to ride in someones car with H&R and see if the ride is too much for you, but i assure you its fine for NYC..

that is whats so great about meets in areas because you get a chance to try out mods before you buy them. I would tell you to post in the NE forum and see if anyone in NYC or in your area has H&R's and see if you like them.. I loved them.. they were a great ride.. you can trust me on this one..

Thanx dude
Old 11-13-2001, 10:22 AM

Actually, SE/GLE shocks are different. Medic and I found differences between his 95 GLE and my 98 SE.

edit: I'm talking stock here. The SE suspension will fit in a 95 however. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-13-2001, 10:41 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

yes, they'll make the ride stiffer as other said already. However, I just wanted to add that if you plan on going for new struts, aftermarket performance struts, like KYBs GR2s will probably run you cheaper new then new SE struts. They would likely last longer as well. But if you're getting them used, make sure they are in great condition/have little miles. People say that stock struts usually are almost done around 60-70k miles. although it depends what kind of roads the car was driven on. I'm in NYC as well, and my 93 SE was pretty stiff and had low-profile tires, it was kind of rough but I could live with it. My 98 GXE is too bouncy with it's stock suspension. I will eventually go the H&R route as Sprint said.
Old 11-13-2001, 11:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have H&R and Toks on my car and I live and drive around the NYC area. It would be a good move for you,1PhatMax. One thing that others have not mentioned is that what significantly makes the ride harsher is the wheels. I have 17s on mine, and I do have to drive a bit slower in Manahattan so i don't get slapped hard with a big pothole. But if you keep your stock 15s (assuming you haven't upgraded your GLE) then the harshness wont be an issue with this setup. The H&R and Toks are just like a stock SE and maybe a wee bit stiffer. My car had the stock SE springs/struts for the 1st 100K miles, the change to H&R and Toks was great for the drop, and ride didn't change much.

Hope this helps.

DW
Old 11-13-2001, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The H&R and Toks are just like a stock SE and maybe a wee bit stiffer. My car had the stock SE springs/struts for the 1st 100K miles, the change to H&R and Toks was great for the drop, and ride didn't change much.
Ah, I do NOT recommend Tokicos, but lots of people have them. I will pobably be selling a brand new set in a month or so.... Assuming they actually live up to their warrantee.
Old 11-13-2001, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Tokico's are Night and Day..

i had them for 70k miles and never had a problem.. lots of people had them and never had a problem.. but some did.. so i don't know.. thats why i said KYB AGX... since they have dampning adjustment
Old 11-13-2001, 01:01 PM

Tokico's are Night and Day..

i had them for 70k miles and never had a problem.. lots of people had them and never had a problem.. but some did.. so i don't know.. thats why i said KYB AGX... since they have dampning adjustment
Thats a nice feature how they can be changed over time, that way if they get spongy or what not change the setting and back to new or better. I think I eventually want to go a little lower with my max.

Hey Sprint, You being in the NE and all... do you feel that having the constant lowered of sprints is not that great in the winter? How much is your drop?

SuDZ
Old 11-13-2001, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by SuDZ

Thats a nice feature how they can be changed over time, that way if they get spongy or what not change the setting and back to new or better. I think I eventually want to go a little lower with my max.

Hey Sprint, You being in the NE and all... do you feel that having the constant lowered of sprints is not that great in the winter? How much is your drop?

SuDZ
I have a 2 inch drop now.. and this is going to be my first winter with sprint.. i hope it goes well i am changing back to my stock 15's soon.. i am not going to wait till late like last year with my 18's and get stuck in the snow ...
Old 11-13-2001, 02:35 PM
BlkCat

Originally posted by 1Phat Max
I already have FSTB and it did make diff. on body roll but I still feel body roll making turns and i could only go 60mph at some turns which are suppose to be 40mph. and i still get lotta body roll....
Get the RSB. It totally wipes out all body roll. Choice of Addco or Stillen. I got the Stillen one.