4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exedy Stage II Chattering

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Exedy Stage II Chattering

Hey guys,

I just installed an Exedy Stage II clutch about 800-900 miles ago and it is definitely overkill for a fully-bolted 4th gen. I plan on going boosted after winter which is why I chose this clutch. Everything has gone well, the VLSD is in with it and it chirps 2nd really hard now.

Only problem is that whenever I release the clutch from a stop, it stutters and the whole car jerks until I get moving. I don't think this is clutch chatter, as it only does it as the car gets moving.

The only way to cure it is by slipping the clutch really bad, which I don't want to do, it is just really annoying for both me and my passengers. Is there anything that can be done to cure this or am I stuck with this problem till I get a new clutch?

Thanks guys,
Matt
Old 12-09-2008, 11:20 AM

Check you motor mounts... I have a spec stage 2 and my mounts were getting soft before install, now after break and a alittle more driving my mounts are shot especially the rear one. It grabs so much better I dont really care about the chatter too much..... plus I have not change my mounts either though.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 PM

I had the same problem after my initial Exedy Stage 2 install and new tranny. Turns out to be my IPS bearing gradually going out. Now I'm in need of a new tranny....
Old 12-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by maxboy325
Check you motor mounts... I have a spec stage 2 and my mounts were getting soft before install, now after break and a alittle more driving my mounts are shot especially the rear one. It grabs so much better I dont really care about the chatter too much..... plus I have not change my mounts either though.
I am pretty sure my motor mounts are good...and I doubt that there would be such a night and day difference after doing the clutch job.

Originally Posted by 1chewabacha1
I had the same problem after my initial Exedy Stage 2 install and new tranny. Turns out to be my IPS bearing gradually going out. Now I'm in need of a new tranny....
I really hope its not the input shaft bearing going out, the VLSD seems really solid, both the ips and diff bearings were really tight and seemed good. I really hope I don't find myself needing a new one after going boosted
Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM

I have a similar situation on my 96.
installed excedy OEM PP with a aftermarket Kevlar hub disc and now the entire car VIBRATE right at the point where the clutch grabs.

I had it installed about a month ago and it is getting a little better. I need to start at 1500ish rpm or let it go really quick in order to keep it from shaking at the start up. It also "jerks" on up shifting at low rpms.

I really believe it is either the PP or the disc that is wrapped or the disc hub is not working correctly. I had similar experience with a civic that I had.

I am going to take it apart and replace it when i can not take it no more lol
Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Did you resurface your flywheel? Sometimes just a light sanding with a random orbital sander works. Clutch chatter is definately mostly felt on the 1st gear take off.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Maintenance Monster

I got clutch chatter with an ACT St 1 because I didn't resurface the flywheel and wipe the flywheel and pressure plate clean with solvent.

Either of those mistakes will cause you clutch chatter. It's my understanding that once a clutch chatters and accumulates some mileage it will continue to chatter even if you take it apart to clean and resurface. I installed an Exedy OEM clutch instead of the ACT.

Dave
Old 12-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
I got clutch chatter with an ACT St 1 because I didn't resurface the flywheel and wipe the flywheel and pressure plate clean with solvent.

Either of those mistakes will cause you clutch chatter. It's my understanding that once a clutch chatters and accumulates some mileage it will continue to chatter even if you take it apart to clean and resurface. I installed an Exedy OEM clutch instead of the ACT.

Dave
The flywheel was resurfaced at a machine shop, so I can't imagine that would be the problem, even though it might very well be. Ugh, I really don't feel like pulling everything apart again...I may as well change the clutch at the same time again...haha.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 PM

aawww man...this sux....i thought it was diff play, but when we put the new Exedy OEM clutch, i didnt resurface the clutch and i didnt clean it....now im gotta get a new clutch disc...
Old 12-09-2008, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
I am pretty sure my motor mounts are good...and I doubt that there would be such a night and day difference after doing the clutch job.

(
Well it was for me I went from a stock setup to Spec stage2 clutch kit and Fidazna Flywheel. Before this setup it never chatterd until it it blew. My rear mount is shot
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 AM

Just hold onto your open diff trans if I were you. It took a year of beating before it finally started going really bad and leaking recently.

My motor mounts + Tranny mounts are good. Resurfaced flywheel, Cleaned off with brake cleaner to make sure surface was clean. Installed Exedy Stage 2 carefully making sure nothing was scratched. Got used trans from Junkyard. Put everything in smoothly. Car started right up and started chattering. I was like "Mother FU@#ER!" Everyone told me that it was just normal to get clutch chatter from a high performance clutch (Especially from Exedy).

A year later, the chatter one day is at such a high chatter level that I could hear it inside the car when the stereo was off. I have a buddy who worked at a shop so I always had a Tranny fluid change every 10k (+ after each race track I went to)

So yeah... I hope to god you're not in the same boat as I'm in but if you are it's better safe than sorry to have an extra tranny laying around.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 AM

Well it was for me I went from a stock setup to Spec stage2 clutch kit and Fidazna Flywheel. Before this setup it never chatterd until it it blew. My rear mount is shot
Okay, I'll check them next time I have the car on a lift...I just didn't think that I could go from such a night and day difference so quickly.

Just hold onto your open diff trans if I were you. It took a year of beating before it finally started going really bad and leaking recently.

My motor mounts + Tranny mounts are good. Resurfaced flywheel, Cleaned off with brake cleaner to make sure surface was clean. Installed Exedy Stage 2 carefully making sure nothing was scratched. Got used trans from Junkyard. Put everything in smoothly. Car started right up and started chattering. I was like "Mother FU@#ER!" Everyone told me that it was just normal to get clutch chatter from a high performance clutch (Especially from Exedy).

A year later, the chatter one day is at such a high chatter level that I could hear it inside the car when the stereo was off. I have a buddy who worked at a shop so I always had a Tranny fluid change every 10k (+ after each race track I went to)

So yeah... I hope to god you're not in the same boat as I'm in but if you are it's better safe than sorry to have an extra tranny laying around.
I really, really wish I could hang onto my open-diff tranny, I am so pressed for money right now though and if I ever have major problems with this tranny, I might just pay to have it rebuilt. I just sold the open diff and really wish I could have kept it, but I need the funds badly right now. Hopefully my problem doesn't get worse once I go boosted. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Oh yeah just saw you had sold the Tranny to WhiteSE.

If you're so pressed for money right now... How you gonna go boosting the Maxima already? Lol... Just wondering... If I were you I'd probably hold off on the boost till you figure out exactly what this is... But that's just me.

Or... Do like what you said and keep your fingers crossed and hope that it is just the basic clutch chatter.

One more question... Do you get a whining noise in first gear (For now it's ONLY first gear) that speeds up/gets louder in correlation w/ engine speed (The rest of the gears you can't really hear it... yet)? If yes, then stop denying it... It's the tranny and start looking for a reputable rebuilder... If no, then it very well can be the basic Exedy Performance Clutch Chatter.

(IE. My buddy has an Exedy Twin Disc in his EVO IX. He does get a noticeable clutch chatter when he's not stepping on the clutch pedal. However it's been driven a hard 30k miles autocrossing with no problems, no gear whining, no gear lockouts)
Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Banned

make a video????
Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM

Oh yeah just saw you had sold the Tranny to WhiteSE.

If you're so pressed for money right now... How you gonna go boosting the Maxima already? Lol... Just wondering... If I were you I'd probably hold off on the boost till you figure out exactly what this is... But that's just me.

Or... Do like what you said and keep your fingers crossed and hope that it is just the basic clutch chatter.

One more question... Do you get a whining noise in first gear (For now it's ONLY first gear) that speeds up/gets louder in correlation w/ engine speed (The rest of the gears you can't really hear it... yet)? If yes, then stop denying it... It's the tranny and start looking for a reputable rebuilder... If no, then it very well can be the basic Exedy Performance Clutch Chatter.

(IE. My buddy has an Exedy Twin Disc in his EVO IX. He does get a noticeable clutch chatter when he's not stepping on the clutch pedal. However it's been driven a hard 30k miles autocrossing with no problems, no gear whining, no gear lockouts)
Haha good question, I have the complete S/C kit in my garage and I planned on installing it upon purchase, but being a full time student and having no current job, it set me back. So now I have a kit sitting collecting dust and I am about $500 short of getting it in (belts, blower rebuild, misc bolts, etc).

I haven't noticed any excessive whining in first gear, i'll listen really close next time I drive it.

Originally Posted by SpooledVQ35
make a video????
I'll see if I can grab my video camera when I go home and post a quick video up soon.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM

Cool. Keep us updated!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM

i get some baddddd chatter on my OEM 2001 clutch. Flywheel was resurfaced before installation. Alllll parts are new, TOB/master/slave/clutch line/ etc. I poly filled the motor mounts awhile back it seemed like it went away, but its come back. I have inconsistency with the clutch pedal though and proper break-in is questionable. I did notice that the polyurethane started to crack on the rear mount so I'm hoping that is the main reason for the chatter. I've been meaning to replace it with the ES inserts. I do want to say the motor mounts made a huge difference though (at least with wheel hop) whenever i originally filled them.

thats my story. lol.

Last edited by chillin014; 12-10-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by chillin014
i get some baddddd chatter on my OEM 2001 clutch. Flywheel was resurfaced before installation. Alllll parts are new, TOB/master/slave/clutch line/ etc. I poly filled the motor mounts awhile back it seemed like it went away, but its come back. I have inconsistency with the clutch pedal though and proper break-in is questionable. I did notice that the polyurethane started to crack on the rear mount so I'm hoping that is the main reason for the chatter. I've been meaning to replace it with the ES inserts. I do want to say the motor mounts made a huge difference though (at least with wheel hop) whenever i originally filled them.

thats my story. lol.
To the OP notice the RED I also hope that I am rite because I am soon to add my ES motor mounts and I dont want to deal with the chatter either
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 AM

Yeah. I have the ES Inserts in my motor mounts... Love em... A little rougher idle cause you can feel the motor shaking but well worth it.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 AM

yeah the polyurethane fill was like 80a shore I believe which was supposedly softer than the ES inserts but they felt pretty rock hard. Idle is rough as you said chewbacha, but you get used to it.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:26 AM

yeah i love the ES mounts, makes the car feel alive.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Well the chattering is still there in full force and it hasn't gotten any better. I'll make a video tomorrow to show you guys what I am talking about.

Today we installed a new SS clutch line, bled the line multiple times to make sure that there was NO air in the line and it still chatters like a ****. The hydraulic system is working well also, as the fork moves right when the pedal is pressed, even though there is still play in the pedal before engagement. I (along with KRRZ350) believe that the PP is the culprit and I am planning to call Exedy to request a replacement tomorrow.

Anyways thought I'd update this and I'll post a video to show how ridiculous this is tomorrow. I am just really frustrated that I will have to pull the transmission just to determine if this is the problem...
Old 01-14-2009, 08:55 PM

Well the chattering is still there in full force and it hasn't gotten any better. I'll make a video tomorrow to show you guys what I am talking about.

Today we installed a new SS clutch line, bled the line multiple times to make sure that there was NO air in the line and it still chatters like a ****. The hydraulic system is working well also, as the fork moves right when the pedal is pressed, even though there is still play in the pedal before engagement. I (along with KRRZ350) believe that the PP is the culprit and I am planning to call Exedy to request a replacement tomorrow.

Anyways thought I'd update this and I'll post a video to show how ridiculous this is tomorrow. I am just really frustrated that I will have to pull the transmission just to determine if this is the problem...
this sux big time.....i think i got a problem with my Exedy as well....i got the stage OEM and it feels like it slipping, and it grabs all the way at the end
Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by whiteSE
this sux big time.....i think i got a problem with my Exedy as well....i got the stage OEM and it feels like it slipping, and it grabs all the way at the end
Don't tell me you went with the cheap Ebay Exedy kit? The Stage 0 that is around $100 right? Those suck!

That was my very first replacement clutch! Broke it in properly and after one visit to the rock falls raceway track it friggin gave out!

Spend the extra $$$ and get a 5th gen setup or an exedy stg 1/2
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 AM

what is the stage 0? I noticed on pinnacle nissan's website they have an 01 AE clutch disc for 100 bucks and pressure plate for 100 bucks. Do you think thats the key value junk? or are the nissan parts really that cheap??
Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

That is most likely key value junk.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:18 AM

Don't tell me you went with the cheap Ebay Exedy kit? The Stage 0 that is around $100 right? Those suck!

That was my very first replacement clutch! Broke it in properly and after one visit to the rock falls raceway track it friggin gave out!

Spend the extra $$$ and get a 5th gen setup or an exedy stg 1/2
I didn't cheap out, I spent $406 for this clutch through ImportCarP here on the group deals forum. I'm really ripped that $400+labor later, I am in a worse position that I was in before. I'd honestly rather have a slipping clutch than a one that won't stop chattering.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 AM

damn. yeah i want to replace my clutch too but thats quite a chunk of change for something that should have lasted atleast 75k. 99 did you ever confirm on your motor mounts? my poly filled went bad in a matter of months.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:32 AM

damn. yeah i want to replace my clutch too but thats quite a chunk of change for something that should have lasted atleast 75k. 99 did you ever confirm on your motor mounts? my poly filled went bad in a matter of months.
This is the last thing that I might consider doing before yanking the clutch again is checking all my motor mounts and trans. mount. I just don't see how I could have such a night/day difference.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Administrator

There has to be a simple fix to your problem. I have the Exedy Stage II, and have no chattering or play in pedal engagement at all.

Let us know what Exedy tells you.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM

my act2600 did the chatter too but thats cause it was a 6 puck
Old 01-15-2009, 05:58 PM

I've had clutch chatter since day 1, replaced the clutch twice so far, tranny went out awhile ago, got a rebuilt one whose IPS bearing is on its way out. Could never figure out the problem.

Good to hear some others are having similar problems. It always irks me when I have to nerf my first gear stoplight takeoffs in my car and it's so effortless and smooth in other cars. I may consider motor mounts, try to replace the IPS bearing and maybe a new clutch or pressure plate... don't know yet. No funds.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM

This is the last thing that I might consider doing before yanking the clutch again is checking all my motor mounts and trans. mount. I just don't see how I could have such a night/day difference.
Please check the rear mount. I think chillen and I may be on the same page. This may not remove all of you chatter but could help alot.

In 4 the Vid.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 PM

Are you sure your flywheel is true? I remember the first time i did my clutch, i cheaped out, and didnt resurface the flywheel, well low and behold, it chattered. I thought it would be normal til' it broke in. This went on, given it got better, it still chattered, especially in reverse. Pulled it apart, resurfaced the flywheel and it was good. This was with my ACT stage 1.

Id say 75% of clutch chatter problems are due to poorly prepped surfaces IE greasy parts/etc.

Oh Also, for those of you who still have the problems. Did you check to see if any of the fingers on the pressure plate were bent/mis aligned? Ive seen that causing problems, ive also seen the teeth break off, and caused inconsistant clutch issues. Did you torque the pressure plate down according to specs, in both stages? Did you use a proper alignment tool? Did you physically check for movement in the input shaft with a dial indicator? With bearings..if you can feel any movement, thats usually too much.

One thing you can always try that cant really hurt, ive done it before with some stubborn clutches that chatter a lot, it sounds terrible, and smells bad, but bring the revs up to 4K RPM, and as you ride the clutch like a newb, get on the throttle so it really slips. It sounds bad, smells bad, and goes against everything you've ever learned, but it has worked a few times.

Last edited by 96blkonblkse; 01-15-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
There has to be a simple fix to your problem. I have the Exedy Stage II, and have no chattering or play in pedal engagement at all.

Let us know what Exedy tells you.

I know! I just think it is a defective product, the clutch needed major adjustment and hasn't felt right since day 1.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
I've had clutch chatter since day 1, replaced the clutch twice so far, tranny went out awhile ago, got a rebuilt one whose IPS bearing is on its way out. Could never figure out the problem.

Good to hear some others are having similar problems. It always irks me when I have to nerf my first gear stoplight takeoffs in my car and it's so effortless and smooth in other cars. I may consider motor mounts, try to replace the IPS bearing and maybe a new clutch or pressure plate... don't know yet. No funds.
Yep, it's even more embarassing when your driving your g/f around and she is like wtf is this car doing?!

Please check the rear mount. I think chillen and I may be on the same page. This may not remove all of you chatter but could help alot.

In 4 the Vid.
I have checked it and it was fine before doing the clutch, I don't see how it could have gotten this bad from just doing the clutch though. I'll post up the video in a few, I just got in from a trip back from NY.

Originally Posted by 96blkonblkse
Are you sure your flywheel is true? I remember the first time i did my clutch, i cheaped out, and didnt resurface the flywheel, well low and behold, it chattered. I thought it would be normal til' it broke in. This went on, given it got better, it still chattered, especially in reverse. Pulled it apart, resurfaced the flywheel and it was good. This was with my ACT stage 1.

Id say 75% of clutch chatter problems are due to poorly prepped surfaces IE greasy parts/etc.

Oh Also, for those of you who still have the problems. Did you check to see if any of the fingers on the pressure plate were bent/mis aligned? Ive seen that causing problems, ive also seen the teeth break off, and caused inconsistant clutch issues. Did you torque the pressure plate down according to specs, in both stages? Did you use a proper alignment tool? Did you physically check for movement in the input shaft with a dial indicator? With bearings..if you can feel any movement, thats usually too much.

One thing you can always try that cant really hurt, ive done it before with some stubborn clutches that chatter a lot, it sounds terrible, and smells bad, but bring the revs up to 4K RPM, and as you ride the clutch like a newb, get on the throttle so it really slips. It sounds bad, smells bad, and goes against everything you've ever learned, but it has worked a few times.
The flywheel was resurfaced and I made sure that the clutch disc was not touched at ALL during this process. Everything went in as expected. But like you said it could be the flywheel causing all of the problems too.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Here you go folks...you can really see it from in the car at 0:59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOWe9...e=channel_page

1st angle - outside the car from 15 ft away
2nd angle - holding camera in hand while driving
3rd angle - camera in headrest mount

Last edited by 99BlackMaxMS; 01-16-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:31 PM

F*ck thats frustrating to watch hahahah. That alone right there has made me HATE driving my car dude. Mine isn't as floppy as yours though. Like when I saw your exhaust under the car moving it makes me think you really need to check your motor mounts dude. I know I said mine was cracked but today I went to look again (I get horrible wheel hop) and I couldnt find any cracks. I poly filled mine myself but the center holes are off center and I think its causing some sort of problems since I had to force the mounts in position. Thats my personal issue though.
Anyway, I'm about to order a rear insert from Cattman and see if what that does.

Oh also, I've always had clutch issues with my pedal and stuff, and I just recently found out that my master cylinder had too much fluid in it, I brought it down a little under the Max line and the clutch feel is a bit better, even a week later.

edit- maybe i'll get a video of mine too, for comparison.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:12 PM

F*ck thats frustrating to watch hahahah. That alone right there has made me HATE driving my car dude. Mine isn't as floppy as yours though. Like when I saw your exhaust under the car moving it makes me think you really need to check your motor mounts dude. I know I said mine was cracked but today I went to look again (I get horrible wheel hop) and I couldnt find any cracks. I poly filled mine myself but the center holes are off center and I think its causing some sort of problems since I had to force the mounts in position. Thats my personal issue though.
Anyway, I'm about to order a rear insert from Cattman and see if what that does.

Oh also, I've always had clutch issues with my pedal and stuff, and I just recently found out that my master cylinder had too much fluid in it, I brought it down a little under the Max line and the clutch feel is a bit better, even a week later.

edit- maybe i'll get a video of mine too, for comparison.
I would think mounts too, but I get NO wheel hop at all, ever. (Knock on wood). I checked all the mounts too and they all appear to be fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 PM

damnit. what is wrong with our frickin cars! I'm about to go on a spending frenzy.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

That video is nutts and would drive me nutts.

I have the slightest vibration and sometimes a violin like hum while slipping the clutch, but I never surfaced the flywheel. I was the 1st to install the 5th gen pressure plate with a 4th gen disk, back in Nov. 2004. I think I had about 89k miles, now nearing 120k. Its been the same since day one. ES mounts, ES bushings, VLSD tranny, and all the other mods over the years did nothing to change the engagement.

Quick Reply: Exedy Stage II Chattering