4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission going out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:46 AM

Transmission going out?

Well the car was running OK until one day I was driving it down the road and when I stopped it seemed it didnt want to shift in to a lower gear. So while I was stopped the car was running really rough at about 400RPM and it staled. Well I checked the ATF fluid and it was really low so I filled it up and the problem still persist. It could run just fine for 5 minutes or an hour, but when it acts up I need to put my car in Neutral at a stop or it will die and when I'm driving it definitely doesnt shift down when needed. Sensor? New Trans? Sucks? Yes it does suck.

On a side note the car tends to dip really low in RPM when you stop even if it's running OK and then it will jump back up to normal RPM's after a few seconds.

When its running bad it stays at about 400RPM.

Thoughts?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM

yea my car does that same type of thing. it dips down to around 500 rpms for a second then back up to regular idle. idk if this makes a difference but it seemed to be even worse if i put crappy 87 octane fuel in... unfortunately it sounds like ur gonna find out the hard way that japan makes crappy automatic transmissions.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:20 AM

Old 12-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Doesn't sound like tranny issues, your engine isn't running right.
Check engine light on? Have you checked for error codes?
An idle speed of 400 is to low, so something is going on.
Have you ever cleaned your throttle body and IACV?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM

MAF. Best guess.
If your idle bounces around a bit, check your ignition coils. Our cars our famous for ignition coil failures.

EDIT: Err, yes, what pmohr said. I thought everyone had a 99 since I had one... Dumb moment... :/

Last edited by Akiyukio; 12-19-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
MAF. Best guess.
If your idle bounces around a bit, check your ignition coils. Our cars our famous for ignition coil failures.
I wouldn't say 'famous' for it. The '99s of course, yes. But not so much the rest of the 4th gens.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have a 98... (at least that's what it says in the paper work)... at 100K i got the same type of problems you described. I cleaned everything (not including EGR, fuel filter) and it's been fine for the last 50K.

It either needs
1) a good cleaning, Disassemble the complete throttle body (all of it) and maybe the Upper Intake Manifold for cleaning. You'll need Maf cleaner, Throttle body cleaner, and a roll of paper towels. ***don't remove the TPS****
2)new coil packs
3)new MAF

Last edited by AndrewR2442; 12-18-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:46 PM

Got a used MAF sensor last year for $90 and just got all brand new ignition coils like 20K miles ago.

I will try the deep clean because it has never been done, but what do you think about the not wanting to shift into lower gears when driving and the hesitation when shifting?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Doesn't sound like tranny issues, your engine isn't running right.
Check engine light on? Have you checked for error codes?
An idle speed of 400 is to low, so something is going on.
Have you ever cleaned your throttle body and IACV?

No check engine light and no I have not checked for errors. How can I do that?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Noladol
Got a used MAF sensor last year for $90 and just got all brand new ignition coils like 20K miles ago.

I will try the deep clean because it has never been done, but what do you think about the not wanting to shift into lower gears when driving and the hesitation when shifting?
Do you mean it won't downshift when you go WOT?

No check engine light and no I have not checked for errors. How can I do that?
Look at the stickies, it's in there.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Do you mean it won't downshift when you go WOT?

Look at the stickies, it's in there.
If you look in my first post I tried to explain the best I could what was happening when I come to a stop and also when im driving.

Thanks, I'll look in stickies right now.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:01 PM
No more Maximas...

If you look in my first post I tried to explain the best I could what was happening when I come to a stop and also when im driving.

Thanks, I'll look in stickies right now.
Yes, but it still doesn't quite explain what I asked.

Well the car was running OK until one day I was driving it down the road and when I stopped it seemed it didnt want to shift in to a lower gear.
Is this supposed to mean that when you take off from a stop, it seems as if you're not in first gear? Or how exactly does it seem to 'not want to shift into a lower gear'?

when I'm driving it definitely doesnt shift down when needed
So it doesn't downshift to the lowest possible gear when you go WOT? Or down a gear when you're cruising and you give it somewhat heavy throttle? What exactly does it do/not do?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Like if you need to be in 1st and its still in 4th. Problem downshifting.

Starting off from a stop it feels like its in 4th. I need to hit the gas quick after I put it out of neutral or it will stall. If it doesnt stall it idles very rough and low.

Last edited by Noladol; 12-18-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:03 PM
No more Maximas...

Like if you need to be in 1st and its still in 4th. Problem downshifting.

Starting off from a stop it feels like its in 4th. I need to hit the gas quick after I put it out of neutral or it will stall. If it doesnt stall it idles very rough and low.
Okay, and what about the WOT downshift? Does it to that properly?

Is this a complete standstill for a few seconds, or just rolling to a stop and quickly trying to leave? They tend to not try to start off from 1st if you're going any sort of speed when you leave the light.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 AM

try a tune up.. my idle was acting funny but i bought new NGK spark plugs and it solved everything..
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 AM

Okay, and what about the WOT downshift? Does it to that properly?

Is this a complete standstill for a few seconds, or just rolling to a stop and quickly trying to leave? They tend to not try to start off from 1st if you're going any sort of speed when you leave the light.

It does ok with WOT. When it does shift it has a hesitation while shifting though and sometimes I have to slam on the gas to make it downshift.(for passing power, etc.) Also, when I'm coming to a stop it acts like it still wants to drive and then at a complete stop it will usually stall.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

They tend to not try to start off from 1st if you're going any sort of speed when you leave the light.
Very true indeed, if you do a rolling stop, chances are the tranny is in 3rd when you take off. Our tranny's do that all the time.

As far as your downshift when you go WOT, keep in mind your driving a mid size luxury sport sedan, not a true sports car. Our trannys are more of a slush box and depending on your speed, they wount downshift hard enough to make your tach bounce immediately up to red line.

I do feel you have a slight engine issue. Your idle is to low and the fact that you say it's rough throws up a red flag for me. That's probably the cause of all your problems. Check for any stored error codes, the procedure is in the stickys.

Definately clean the throttle body and the IACV too.
That will definately help keep your idle stable.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Very true indeed, if you do a rolling stop, chances are the tranny is in 3rd when you take off. Our tranny's do that all the time.

As far as your downshift when you go WOT, keep in mind your driving a mid size luxury sport sedan, not a true sports car. Our trannys are more of a slush box and depending on your speed, they wount downshift hard enough to make your tach bounce immediately up to red line.

I do feel you have a slight engine issue. Your idle is to low and the fact that you say it's rough throws up a red flag for me. That's probably the cause of all your problems. Check for any stored error codes, the procedure is in the stickys.

Definately clean the throttle body and the IACV too.
That will definately help keep your idle stable.
I'm not being a **** toward you, but I had my car for over 5 years and I know how it shifts. It's not shifting correctly.

I wish I could get a little help on the shifting issue than on why the idle is low. If no one knows, just say so.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM
No more Maximas...

I'm not being a **** toward you, but I had my car for over 5 years and I know how it shifts. It's not shifting correctly.

I wish I could get a little help on the shifting issue than on why the idle is low. If no one knows, just say so.
If you could explain the shifting issue more clearly, you could get better help. Have you checked the condition of the ATF at all?

You keep on going back to it having a rough idle and stalling, more than likely that has nothing to do with the trans.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
unfortunately it sounds like ur gonna find out the hard way that japan makes crappy automatic transmissions.
200,000 + miles on the orginal tranny, yeah that's real crappy.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:05 PM

If you could explain the shifting issue more clearly, you could get better help. Have you checked the condition of the ATF at all?

You keep on going back to it having a rough idle and stalling, more than likely that has nothing to do with the trans.
The ATF fluid looks fine. What I got out of it is that it stalls because it is not going in to the correct lower gear when stopped. If I am mistaken please let me know the other possibilities. I really do appreciate the help.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:23 PM
No more Maximas...

The ATF fluid looks fine. What I got out of it is that it stalls because it is not going in to the correct lower gear when stopped. If I am mistaken please let me know the other possibilities. I really do appreciate the help.
It would only stall like that if the torque converter was locked up. You can have the trans in whatever gear you want, but unless the TCC is locked, it will not stall when coming to a stop.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:24 PM

It sounds like It's the torque converter thats locking up and It's slowing down. (This applies to you only If your an auto).
Old 12-21-2008, 12:00 AM

It sounds like there are 2 problems that you are having, 1. It's the low RPMS and that should be tooken care of by cleaning the throttle body and the IACV that Is dropping the RPMs really low. 2. I am sure that you have a locking torque converter and It's not properly building the pressure to change the gears. I am 70% sure that this the problem.

P.S I have a method you can try to see If the gears or the torque converter has gone bad.

1. Start the car and drive it in 1st then shift it in to 2nd then in to 3rd then in to drive you will either notice some slipping in any of the gears and you will see the RPMs jump around and then you will know you have a SLIPPING TRANNY and If the TC is bad the car will jerk and a late shift untill you get it in to the drive and sometimes it will get stuck and you will notice any jerkings or shiftings and just a high rev in either of these gears Its a bad TC.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:11 AM

I agree that it is the tc. It's not disengaging at a stop so the car is tryn to go but the brakes are holding I back. it's simmilar to if you had a manual and left it in gear when stopping. The tranny is pulling the idle down with it when you stop that's why neutrall helps. The tranny is the sourse of all the problems unless the ecu malfunctioned and is telling the tc to stay engaged.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 AM

You guys are awesome!

After reading up on the TC I have come to my conclusion that's it. I am having it checked this week and will let you guys know.

THANKS!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM

OK, im still waiting for my mechanic friend to free some time, but I am heading to O'Reilly's now for some parts. Im excited.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:26 PM

edit
Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM

I think I must have the same exact problem ... i'm glad I read this thread

I've recently made it a habit to shift out of D and into N everytime I come to stop because of this
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by metaverse
I think I must have the same exact problem ... i'm glad I read this thread

I've recently made it a habit to shift out of D and into N everytime I come to stop because of this
lol, I know EXACTLY how you feel.