4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange Movement While Acel.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 AM

Strange Movement While Acel.

Hey there guys, i seem to be having a pretty interesting suspension related problem...

the best way i can desribe it, is when i am going a decent speed say 35-45 and i begin to accelerate at a decent rate, by decent i mean more than you would normally.. the car begins to almost slide from side to side.. i do need an allignment, and i know i have a small amount of play in my tie rods... but this issue is new as of tonight and feels as if it is on both sides.. from a stop i can put it damn near to the floor and it has absolutely no issues...

its almost like when your driving a really torquey car and trying to take off from a dead stop by putting it to the floor..

another way to describe it is if you were driving with a flat tire and trying to drag race it.. other than that i dont know what to say..

the only things i have done related to the suspension in recent history is i replaced a ball joint on the passanger side(if im not mistaken) about 10K ago, and when i got the vehicle 35K ago i replaced the front struts/springs.

well i appreciate your guys help.
thank you in advanced guys!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by FallenOne
i do need an allignment, and i know i have a small amount of play in my tie rods...
You have answered your own question. Tie rods are probably getting worse, tires are getting chewed up from the alignment.

How do you expect it to track good with those issues?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Hey there guys, i seem to be having a pretty interesting suspension related problem...

the best way i can desribe it, is when i am going a decent speed say 35-45 and i begin to accelerate at a decent rate, by decent i mean more than you would normally.. the car begins to almost slide from side to side.. i do need an allignment, and i know i have a small amount of play in my tie rods... but this issue is new as of tonight and feels as if it is on both sides.. from a stop i can put it damn near to the floor and it has absolutely no issues...

its almost like when your driving a really torquey car and trying to take off from a dead stop by putting it to the floor..

another way to describe it is if you were driving with a flat tire and trying to drag race it.. other than that i dont know what to say..

the only things i have done related to the suspension in recent history is i replaced a ball joint on the passanger side(if im not mistaken) about 10K ago, and when i got the vehicle 35K ago i replaced the front struts/springs.

well i appreciate your guys help.
thank you in advanced guys!
this sounds a bit sketchy to me.

If you have the tools already, or a friend does, you might as well do inner and outer tie rods at this point if yours are as messed up as you describe.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:06 PM
this place is dead

when you go to get this thing aligned, ask them to check out the front suspension.
Inner and outer tie rods
bushings
ball joints
lca bushings

See what they say, then fix it yourself if you are fairly sure they aren't lying
Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM

try wat u think it might need like u said an alignment ans also how long has it been since u need an alignment if haven't addressed this issue most likely the problem has worsened
Old 12-29-2008, 07:49 PM

If your tie rods are bad, fix them before you get an alignment. Bad tie rods will not hold alignment.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by 99BettySE
If your tie rods are bad, fix them before you get an alignment. Bad tie rods will not hold alignment.
Change the rods, get an alignment, and you should be set.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:37 PM

well.....

I am going to have to agree with everyone here on this.......

And you might want to do this soon... Really Soon... before something happens.. God forbid that, but it's better to stay on the safe side rather than waiting it out...

When i sense something wrong on my maxima.. i pull out to the side of the road and check the problem out, and when i get home.. i don't drive it until the problem is solved.. so as i said... better safe than sorry.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM

It's your inner and outer tierods that are bad and you will need to do an alignment on your new tierods because your old ones are bad and they will not hold up to specs. I have had this problem on my other Max and the parts needed to be changed to get the alignment to specs. My car was pulling to either sides whenever you are driving in a straight path.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by dkillahster
I am going to have to agree with everyone here on this.......

And you might want to do this soon... Really Soon... before something happens.. God forbid that, but it's better to stay on the safe side rather than waiting it out...

When i sense something wrong on my maxima.. i pull out to the side of the road and check the problem out, and when i get home.. i don't drive it until the problem is solved.. so as i said... better safe than sorry.
I dunno, you seem a little too safe to me. You can drive with a lot of things wrong on a car and still be safe, of course that depends on your definition of safe.

That being said, I agree that he wants to do this "Really Soon"....tie rods not holding an alignment is one thing, which, while it will destroy your tires, isn't inherently unsafe. Tie rods moving around while you're driving, even I would consider that unsafe.

It's not a extremely hard job to replace both inner and outer either, you will have to buy a tool for the inner, but at most I would guess that will cost you $100, I think I got mine for $60 or $70
Old 12-30-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Change the rods, get an alignment, and you should be set.
best possible fix
Old 12-30-2008, 01:00 PM

Hey guys, i really appreciate the replys, yeah i had a feeling it had to do with those 2 things.. i just didnt think they were That bad.. but well.. these things happen. I will be bringing her to my dads shop and doing a thourough inspection on it myself as well as our master tech.. i have been out of the area for a bit of time for the holidays and i was just wondering if mabey i was over looking somehting..

to conclude this i did notice driving it yesterday that i could not replicate the problem... kind of strange i thought.. im wondering if mabey it had to do with the weather conditions when it happened.. we shall see!

as always thank you for the help guys, always appreciated
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM

You know you have alignment problem you not fix! Why you post huh? Vaste all are thyme!

I Keed

Are you getting alot of snow in your area? I had this issue last year and it turned out to be a snow buildup on my suspension/steering parts.

We had 8 inches of snow or something and the alley had not been plowed. I just drove write through and parked my car in my driveway. The next day I didn't drive at all giving the built up snow time to harden.

Next day I drove and got to around 40 mph on the freeway and it scared the poop at of my pants!

I pulled off, inspected my steering parts real quick (and let the poop fall down my leg onto the ground) and only noticed there was some snow there, nothing damaged. Drove to a gas station and decided to go through the car wash (One with an underspray). Drove out, got on the highway... problem gone...

Just a possiblity when weather becomes a possible factor.