4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

JWT tranny ecu, don't buy it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 11:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JWT tranny ecu, don't buy it!

I bought this tranny ecu used from Turbomax. All I can say, I sure wasted my money. It's not worth it at all. I didn't notice any difference at all. There's 3 mode to this ecu: sport, normal, and traction. Well, forget the other two, the most important one is sport. Today, I went out testing this ecu. I switched back and forth from sport to normal to see what difference if made. No difference whatsoever. Strangely, it seem I get better acceleration in normal mode then sport mode. This is a piece of junk. I made the mistake, so I just want to advise you other guys, don't buy it.

Turbo, if you're reading, check your email man. I hope I am wrong with this, maybe I done something wrong. I hope I didn't buy a mod from you that do absolutely nothing.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:17 AM
Administrator

did it occur why he might be selling it?
Old 11-15-2001, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
thats cold
Old 11-15-2001, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax

No it didn't because I thought since he did a tranny swap, it was no longer needed.

Turbomax, I wish you could have told me everthing, been straight with me.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:40 AM
Administrator

TurboMax is a straight shooter.. i doubt he would do anything to deceive you..

Originally posted by Cumalot

No it didn't because I thought since he did a tranny swap, it was no longer needed.

Old 11-15-2001, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot

but then he couldnt get rid of it
Old 11-15-2001, 11:59 AM

before you say it didn't do anything have you track tested it?
I had a chip in my 95 contour se and I didn't feel a damn thing but at the track same day one run with it in one run with it out with it in was 7tenths quicker.

you reely won't feel shiftlogic.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:06 PM

Oh well, the heck with the auto tranny. I'm going to either get rid of this car or do a 5spd swap.

As far as track testing it, of course not. I do have a stopwatch I used to "test" out the car before and after a mod. Well, I did tested it and there's no gain. Actually, with the sport mode on, it was actually a bit slower then normal mode. Weird, huh?

Yeah, I can't blame Turbomax. I bought it, so I have to live with it. Whenever I do get rid of this car or get a 5spd swap, this tranny ecu will be trash.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:06 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by conig
before you say it didn't do anything have you track tested it?
I had a chip in my 95 contour se and I didn't feel a damn thing but at the track same day one run with it in one run with it out with it in was 7tenths quicker.

you reely won't feel shiftlogic.
LOL you think a chip increased your 1/4 mile 7/10ths AND YOU COULDN'T FEEL IT. I think you need to check out your launch technique on both runs, the chip probably didn't do squat but your technique was better on the quicker run.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

LOL you think a chip increased your 1/4 mile 7/10ths AND YOU COULDN'T FEEL IT. I think you need to check out your launch technique on both runs, the chip probably didn't do squat but your technique was better on the quicker run.
hell yeah I KNOW that the chip made that big of difference It also was an electronically controlled tranny so my super chip shifted a WHOLE lot better than stock better points and the a valve bodie shifted a lot harder

plus an automatic contour doesn't have enough torque for launch techniques pwer brack and let the brake go stand on the gas launched the same every time.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:27 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

maybe...just maybe the ECU needs to learn the right shift and pattern for your car?
Old 11-15-2001, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by DanNY
maybe...just maybe the ECU needs to learn the right shift and pattern for your car?
I agree. Give it time and see if anything changes, like Y pipes they say it takes a bit before they open up to the full potential.

SuDZ
Old 11-15-2001, 11:30 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

uh oh....thats no good

i juss got back so i didnt get a chance to check my email yet but ill do that soon. I dunno what to say man..i mean i didnt hide anything from you, juss want to clarify that i didnt sell it because it was junk. I sold it cause its useless sittin at home cause i did a swap. I was trying to sell it before i did the swap because i needed the money. With the Tranny ECU the upshifts and downshifts seemed alot better. None of that stuck in 2nd gear crap. When your in Sportmode does the yellow OD light come on? thats suppose to come on to signify your in Sport mode.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Turbo95Max
uh oh....thats no good

i juss got back so i didnt get a chance to check my email yet but ill do that soon. I dunno what to say man..i mean i didnt hide anything from you, juss want to clarify that i didnt sell it because it was junk. I sold it cause its useless sittin at home cause i did a swap. I was trying to sell it before i did the swap because i needed the money. With the Tranny ECU the upshifts and downshifts seemed alot better. None of that stuck in 2nd gear crap. When your in Sportmode does the yellow OD light come on? thats suppose to come on to signify your in Sport mode.

Ok I take it back, I did some more test today. The other day I didn't really push it, plus I think with me switching back and forth between modes while I'm on the highway might have confused the ecu. I just left in Sport mode today and felt some difference. The rpms seem to stay at a higher level. I was cruising at about 60mph, the rpms were at about 3k, normally for an automatic, it would be around 2k. Also, in Sport mode, I know could redline, I think? I took it about 100mph, I kept looking at the rpms and was saying to myself why hasn't it shift yet? I left off at redline, it should shift right, Turbomax, if I took it a bit further?

Btw, I know now the OD isn't disabled in the other mode, however, the OD light doesn't come on anymore.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:14 AM

I don't think you can expect miracles from the tranny ECU, especially since you have Don's VB. There is only so much that you can firm up in the tranny. It sounds like you have two mods that basicly address the same performance issue, you really can't expect it to be cumulative.