4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

regarding a short antenna solution (power mast into stationary connection) - question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM

regarding a short antenna solution (power mast into stationary connection) - question

Sorry to bring up a topic that has been discussed before (that is the topic of antennas.) I just haven't been able to find exactly the idea I'm going for so.
In regards to a variation of a short antenna fix:

I don't have a power antenna or motor on my 95 SE I just checked. Though I hate the stationary antenna currently there, so I'm thinking about buying a power antenna mast and just leaving it down / thus having a short antenna that doesn't go up or down. -- I'm not interested in using it's retractable features, just it's short length when down.

My question is - Does anyone know if I could still connect this power antenna mast and make it act like a normal antenna mast would? That is, be able to connect to the car still. And if yes, I know that the power antenna masts don't usually come with any wires other than the one that feeds into the gears of the motor / so how could I go about connecting it?

*I emailed a company who is selling just replacement antenna masts (and their own power motors) asking if it could be done but no answer yet.

Thanks!

-Note, I don't want to shave the whole thing off, in case I sell the car in a year or two. This is why I'm doing this. And those black replacement short ant's look awful =/

EDIT: ANYONE SELLING A ORIGINAL NISSAN 4tH GEN POWER ANTENNA ASSY PLEASE PM ME OR REPLY TO THE THREAD, I'm Interested!

Last edited by moonlitesounds; 02-07-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Update about looking for power assy from anyone who has one
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 AM
No more Maximas...

Weird, never seen an A32 with just a regular antenna mast. Thought power antenna was a standard feature, but FAST confirms there was a non-power as well.

You could probably throw in the OE power antenna, you don't need the harness plugged in for it to work. Don't know if the antenna cable would work between power and non, though.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by moonlitesounds
I'm thinking about buying a power antenna mast and just leaving it down / thus having a short antenna that doesn't go up or down. -- I'm not interested in using it's retractable features, just it's short length when down.
Is it just me or does that not make any sense?
When a power antenna is down, nothing is exposed.

If you want a short antenna, buy a short stationary antenna.
No sense wasting $$ on a power one if you're not going to use it.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
you don't need the harness plugged in for it to work.

Really..? Meaning, I could just replace the existing stationary mast with power mast (retractable) as I would like to do - only without connecting it to the harness like the stationary mast is currently - and it may still receive a bit?

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Is it just me or does that not make any sense?
When a power antenna is down, nothing is exposed.

If you want a short antenna, buy a short stationary antenna.
No sense wasting $$ on a power one if you're not going to use it.
It makes sense, there are no short stationary antenna masts that I can find other than the ugly black euro ones. Or I wouldn't be posting this.
And a power antenna mast by itself is only 15-18 dollars on Ebay and some sites. And when it sites all the way down as you say, nothing is exposed. Which is what I'm going for.

I want to have the antenna all the way down, but still present as I don't want to completely shave it off. Do I really need to explain that again, it's in the OP.
I don't really use the radio that often it isn't a big deal, what is a big deal is the large stationary antenna mast already in place looking awful.

Last edited by moonlitesounds; 02-03-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
No more Maximas...

Really..? Meaning, I could just replace the existing stationary mast with power mast (retractable) as I would like to do - only without connecting it to the harness like the stationary mast is currently - and it may still receive a bit?
Well by harness I'm talking about the wiring harness that connects to the stock antenna to provide power. You'd still likely need to hook up the antenna cable to get any sort of decent signal, though.

You could always go with the BMW style roof antenna.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM

I was just going to say, I cannot find the harness/wire that would provide power to a power ant. Unless there is one and its way down there / something I'm missing there?

Another reason for why I am looking at this alternative ^^ as I can't find a power source for a power ant.

Clarifcation about cable connector for ant signal: is the cable that connects the ant. to radio - its the one that looks like kinda like an RCA connector basically?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
No more Maximas...

I was just going to say, I cannot find the harness/wire that would provide power to a power ant. Unless there is one and its way down there / something I'm missing there?

Another reason for why I am looking at this alternative ^^ as I can't find a power source for a power ant.

Clarifcation about cable connector for ant signal: is the cable that connects the ant. to radio - it looks like kinda like an RCA connector basically.
Well since your car isn't equipped with one, you're probably not wired for it.

For the cable, no idea.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:36 PM

Should not be a big deal to run a wire from the radio to the trunk to control the power antenna. I guess it depends on the type of stereo you have and if it has an output to activate a power antenna.

I don't think the antenna is going to pick up any stations at all if it's down. Why not have it work properly if you can.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM

I have a power antenna and i didn't like how high it was either so i just unplugged the power and manual adjusted the height to my preference and i still pick up most of the radio stations.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Sold

I have no antenna... I had it shaved a little while ago. I pick up all fm stations with out any loss of clarity. AM on the other hand is a little weak. Need to turn up the volume... but who listens to am anyway. Sirius ftw.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Idk if you guys have different years than me (98), but when my antenna is down... i get almost NO FM radio reception. When it's up, i get clear radio reception.

If you are looking to control a power antenna... you could always use a relay so you don't fry anything. Then hook up an On/Off switch somewhere inbetween your signal wire and your relay. Then you can mount it right next to your cupholders where the heated seat switches are located. Or you could mount it in the free spot by your cruise control. A flat black switch from Advanced Auto is what i used.

I used the cig lighter as my power signal. Now i can cut the power to the antenna when i get onto the highway.

What i would do if i was in your spot is......

to buy an FM antenna booster. It actually is a long, skinny, flat piece of plastic w/a tiny wire that you could hide at the top of the rear window.

I think crutchfield.com carries one... antenna booster. I know best buy had one, but it's bright green.

Last edited by AndrewR2442; 02-03-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by AndrewR2442
Idk if you guys have different years than me (98), but when my antenna is down... i get almost NO FM radio reception. When it's up, i get clear radio reception.

If you are looking to control a power antenna... you could always use a relay so you don't fry anything. Then hook up an On/Off switch somewhere inbetween your signal wire and your relay. Then you can mount it right next to your cupholders where the heated seat switches are located. Or you could mount it in the free spot by your cruise control. A flat black switch from Advanced Auto is what i used.

I used the cig lighter as my power signal. Now i can cut the power to the antenna when i get onto the highway.

What i would do if i was in your spot is......

to buy an FM antenna booster. It actually is a long, skinny, flat piece of plastic w/a tiny wire that you could hide at the top of the rear window.

I think crutchfield.com carries one... antenna booster. I know best buy had one, but it's bright green.
Do you have the base radio?

With the Bose system there's another antenna integrated into the rear window, I've had my power antenna unplugged for years and still get great FM reception. AM, wouldn't know; never use it.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM

No bose here. That's a bummer...
Old 02-04-2009, 11:14 AM

the retractable mast isn't going to fill the hole in the 1/4 panel by itself. and what's going to hold the mast up in place in the hole? better rethink this one!! try a stereo shop for help/ideas.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM

the retractable mast is a different size at the bottom portion than a regular antenna mast?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Check a local junkyard for a used one, motor and all. Then you shouldn't have any problems mounting it (nitromax has a good point about possibility of different size bottoms and mounting issues). While there, check how the power antenna mounts, compare to yours, and make sure you get all the necessary hardware (motor with mast assembly, mounting bolts, and even the visible antenna base). Check this page for the parts: http://www.courtesyparts.com/maxima-...1822_1847.html .
Power to the motor doesn't need hooked up to still get good FM reception. Only the antenna wire from the back of the stereo needs plugged in. I had to replace my mast because the plastic wire inside my original had snapped. It was annoying to hear the motor constantly run when the radio was on, so I unplugged power till I got the new mast. My power antenna could then be put to any length I manually felt like doing. But since I have the diversity antenna thing (Bose has second antenna in rear glass, too, and it picks strongest signal), I had my antenna pushed all the way down and had good FM reception. Not sure about AM.
I would think most antenna wires have the same standardized connector. I don't remember anything different about my power antenna's (looked same as every other one I've seen). But it would be something to look at before spending money on a new one.

Dave
Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 PM

unfortunately local junk yard hasn't got one =( and only one 4th gen there! pretty weak.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:29 PM

perhaps i should just go all out and search for anyone here with even a broken one.. just so i can mount it properly not caring about functionality.. if you say it still would recieve a bit just by being down and not connected?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 PM

i never had bose on any max i've had, but i always had the antenna in the rear window. that's why you use the antenna adaptor, it connects both antenna to the hu.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Oh hey. Don't know much about this whole antenna problem. Mine has been broken for quite a while I just listen to my ipod. BUT. I remember reading a few years ago people using the small black antenna off the 350z? Does this work? work as in look good. and sit flush. and oem lookin

Last edited by ZaxWhite97Max; 02-05-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:43 PM

moonlite, I can't really confirm how the power antenna in its down position would receive by itself because I also have the antenna in the rear window. You may have it too (it looks like a defroster line that makes a square, but at the very top of the rear windows, above the horizontal defroster lines). I can say that I had good reception with the main antenna down, but it may have been the other antenna pulling in the signal. You could test yours by unplugging your existing antenna mast, and seeing if you still have good reception.
If I were you, I would check ebay, other .org members, and keep in touch with local junkyards to get the whole assembly. I think it would suit your needs better than an aftermarket antenna. It could be put in the down position, or extended any amount (like 1/2 way) if you want. And it would look totally stock, because it essentially is. You could also wire in the motor to your existing headunit to actually have it operate like normal (even if your HU doesn't have a power signal for an antenna, you could easily wire a manual switch, or simply power to an ACC position).

Dave
Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 PM

my power antenna hasn't worked in several years. It's fully retracted and I still get good reception (from the STRONGER stations). I have an aftermarket radio, and it worked with the antenna for a while until for some reason, the antenna motor would just keep running and the mast would not extend. I disconnected the power and haven't bothered to look for a new one. I'm foggy on the details but I THINK there's a power lead and another wire for reception (could be wrong on that).
To the best of my knowledge all the cars came with the diversity antenna, and mine seems to work well enough. Since the OP has already stated that he doesn't use the radio that much, then as someone has already said, just hit the junkyard or buy a cheap one from an auto parts store.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:18 PM

Sounbwoy, sounds like yours has done exactly what mine did. The motor still works, but the plastic geared "rope" inside the shaft is broke. It's a simple and cheap fix. All you need is a new power antenna mast. I think I got mine from Courtesy Nissan for about $20. Local stores may carry universal ones, but I don't know how interchangeable they are. So I opted for the Nissan part. Replacing it is pretty straight forward, too. FSM has the simple instructions.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:26 PM

^^ Yeah that's an easy fix I'm told.
For those with existing power antenna's or having problems with it:
You can see instructions / faq / buy an aftermarket power antenna kit or OEM Replacement Power Mast here:

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Nissa...01995-1999.htm

FAQ's:
1. How do I know that I need JUST a NEW Mast ???
2. How to Remove the outside Nut ?
3. How to Replace this Nissan Mast ?

Their price for just a replacement OEM mast is $12.95 (Soundbwoy that would be your fix)Their after market brand of power antenna assy is $42.95 + only $6.00 for shipping.

Last edited by moonlitesounds; 02-07-2009 at 02:30 PM.