4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Half-and-Half Intake Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:00 PM
Bacon Lover

Tatanko's Intake Thread

Seeing as I searched and came up with nothing, I figured I would ask before attempting myself. Has anyone done a half-factory/half-aftermarket intake setup? Specifically I mean an aftermarket straight mid-pipe but a factory air box and snorkel. Seeing as I'm a 5-speed, I don't need the extra 5 WTQ down low you lose from the stock mid-pipe and rather than totally compromise the performance and easy-to-maintain setup of the stock intake, I figured I would try this combination. It should yield a good sound (but not TOO loud) and maybe even a wee bit of top end.

Basically I'm wondering if it's even possible. I know the stock intake sort of has a bend in it (which is why the stock mid-pipe has ends that aren't straight from one to another). I suppose I could make my own mid-pipe by ordering a 45 degree angle pipe and adding my own ports for IACV, crankcase breather, etc.

Last edited by Tatanko; 07-11-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Don't think I've ever seen it done it that way.

Would be interesting to see the differences, if any.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Bacon Lover

Seeing as how I want to dyno again in the spring (potentially with some sort of tuning device) I would love to compare this to a factory intake with back-to-back runs.

EDIT: Does anyone remember which part of the A32 intake setup has a smaller end on it than the rest of the system? I know when you order a PR-style CAI you get three couplers, all 3", except one has a reduced end on one side to fit either the MAF or the throttlebody or something. Anyone remember which one? (I have a hunch it's the throttlebody).

Last edited by Tatanko; 02-08-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:22 PM

ricer

lol, um to the actual thread, i think just picking up an aftermarket extension pipe and doing some minor drilling/fabbing will do. pep boys for example has lots of them (mostly plastic, if not all). of course, first measure to see how much distance it is from the end of the airbox to the TB. then get the appropriate size and add couplers to help out. and i think the smaller end of the coupler is for the TB, not positive but pretty sure.

or maybe those aftermarket cai midpipes will reach.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Bacon Lover

I had already thought about using one of the aftermarket mid-pipes (seeing as I have one laying around) but they won't work I don't think. I say this because if you take notice to what I said in my first post, the stock intake setup has a bend in it in the form of the two ends of the factory mid-pipe sticking out in different directions (as opposed to being straight). See here:

The airbox and MAF are sort of horizontal in the engine bay whereas the mid-pipe and accordion section are at about a 45 degree angle (due to the location of the throttlebody).
Old 02-08-2009, 04:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I had already thought about using one of the aftermarket mid-pipes (seeing as I have one laying around) but they won't work I don't think. I say this because if you take notice to what I said in my first post, the stock intake setup has a bend in it in the form of the two ends of the factory mid-pipe sticking out in different directions (as opposed to being straight). See here:

The airbox and MAF are sort of horizontal in the engine bay whereas the mid-pipe and accordion section are at about a 45 degree angle (due to the location of the throttlebody).
How about a 45 degree coupler?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:03 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by pmohr
How about a 45 degree coupler?
That's what I'm thinking of doing. Perhaps one like this:

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/produ...c5ce1c87a7083c

Since the bend of the intake isn't "centered" so to speak between the throttlebody and MAF, I would simply have to trim an inch or so off one end of that adapter and it should otherwise be long enough to reach from the throttlebody to the MAF. My only other concern is engine rotation. Seeing as I have stock mounts, my engine is going to move around a bit. The stock airbox is bolted into place, hence the accordion section to allow for movement. If I put on this coupler, there will be no room for movement. I'm just thinking about what negative effects there might be on the equipment from having to endure that.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

TB to mid pipe is a 3" to 2.5" reducer.
Mid pipe to MAF is a 3" coupler.

Im pretty sure the mid pipe only has been done. I'd think the bent mid pipe would work,
unless they aren't long enough. Is your mid pipe bent?

As for movement loosen the bolts on the air box or remove them. I haven't had my box bolted in since '04.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Bacon Lover

My mid-pipe is not bent. I think it's only Injen intakes that have a bent mid-pipe. Which end is the 2.5" part of the equation? The throttlebody or the mid-pipe? Also, do you not have any added noises from the airbox getting bumped around in the engine bay without it bolted down?

Since I don't have a bent mid-pipe and don't want to over pay out my *** for a new or used Injen, I suppose I need to fabricate one. Simple enough task.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:33 PM

My mid-pipe is not bent. I think it's only Injen intakes that have a bent mid-pipe. Which end is the 2.5" part of the equation? The throttlebody or the mid-pipe? Also, do you not have any added noises from the airbox getting bumped around in the engine bay without it bolted down?

Since I don't have a bent mid-pipe and don't want to over pay out my *** for a new or used Injen, I suppose I need to fabricate one. Simple enough task.
maybe theres a half plastic half flex pipe out there. again, i would check pep boys, they have all kinds of crazy things. and i would verify on the coupler question since i have actually have that exact one your talking about (from my prcai) but its back in charleston. why not just measure and compare the diameters of the tb and midpipe port?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 PM

the throttlebody is the 2.5 inch part
Old 02-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by Carlos
I figured as much.

G, I will take your advice and check out pep boys. I have a feeling I may need to order a custom elbow, though
Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos
figured someone would chime in sooner or later
Old 02-08-2009, 11:46 PM

I have a half and half setup. But opposite of what you are looking for. I found this to the best setup after trying stock, full cai, and hybrid. Sticking with the hybrid. Dont mind the dirt, lol.

http://i35.tinypic.com/warmaf.jpg
Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

My setup is mostly OE and partly OSCAI. The pipe that goes downward just after the snorkle, heads into the box under the battery tray. The box has been removed and that pipe has been extended on through the inner fender wall into the area where a true CAI sits. I now have two sources of cold air coming into my completely stock intake.

Here's a pic of the setup as seen when you open my hood. LOL
Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM

dont know how relevant this is..but this thread reminded me of these pics I just saw of an s2000.

turbo car though.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:39 AM
The Golden One

I kinda have the reverse lol.

I have the stock 5th Gen intake snorkel (I used to have a full 5th Gen setup back when I had an 00VI) feeding the engine bay with cool air (hopefully lol).

Then I have a cone filter, MAF adapter, MAF, stock 4th Gen. resonator (I think that's what it is) with all of it's hoses connected and then the TB.

Under load it has a very nice growl, but under idle or cruising it's not detectable. I do feel like it pulls a tad bit more when it gets loud (3.5krpm to almost redline)

Pics:

Old 02-09-2009, 02:27 PM

In for the dyno gains once its complete.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by ajcool2
In for the dyno gains once its complete.
Could be a while, if ever. Looking at the costs to do this (seeing as it will likely need custom parts) kind of almost makes me wonder if it's worth the trouble. If I end up keeping the engine mostly stock I'll definitely do it, but as of this moment I'm attempting to keep my options open.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by IlyaK

I have the stock 5th Gen intake snorkel (I used to have a full 5th Gen setup back when I had an 00VI) feeding the engine bay with cool air (hopefully lol).

Then I have a cone filter, MAF adapter, MAF, stock 4th Gen. resonator (I think that's what it is) with all of it's hoses connected and then the TB.

Under load it has a very nice growl, but under idle or cruising it's not detectable. I do feel like it pulls a tad bit more when it gets loud (3.5krpm to almost redline)

Pics:

[IMG] Pictars
Hey just curious, did you lose any power on the low end doing this?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 PM

I do feel like it pulls a tad bit more when it gets loud (3.5krpm to almost redline)
i think its all in your head b/c of the growl
Old 02-09-2009, 05:28 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Hey just curious, did you lose any power on the low end doing this?
No. After I took off my headers/y-pipe my low end hasn't changed. That was even with an 00VI and a 5th gen intake setup.

Originally Posted by G4nismo
i think its all in your head b/c of the growl
No sir.

I've had stock exhaust, stock intake, after market exhaust, 5th Gen intake, 00VI, stock fed. spec. exhaust (I'm cali). I've felt my car in different 'forms'.

I can honestly say that when it starts to really suck air, the car does become more peppy. Typically it's around 4.5k. It gets loud at 3.5k.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Bent pipe, on ebay.

no noises from moving around
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Bacon Lover

Sutter, I think that may be what I need. That slight bend in it there on the one end might be enough for me to use it in combination with the accordion tube and a coupler.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:43 PM

that's about what i have^^^

but i have done mods on friends car where all i have done is swapped out the stock air box for a high flow filter, on a friends frontier all we had to do was saw off is stock air box after the maf and slap on an aftermarket filter
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by l3ftonm3
I have a half and half setup. But opposite of what you are looking for. I found this to the best setup after trying stock, full cai, and hybrid. Sticking with the hybrid. Dont mind the dirt, lol.

http://i35.tinypic.com/warmaf.jpg
Here's another picture of the dirt setup if anyone is interested.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by JSutter

Bent pipe, on ebay.

no noises from moving around
I have this same setup sitting around. How did you connect the bent pipe? None of the hoses they sent would fit, and neither would my stock IACV/Front Valve Cover hose.

So I didn't use that crap...just the rings lol.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Bacon Lover

For the record for the rest of this thread, I've been through a million different intake setups myself and don't really need advice on how to hook up a short ram. I just wanted to know if anyone had done the setup I initially asked about and am currently seeking ways to accomplish it (cheaply). That is all. I hope I didn't offend anyone, I just want this to stay on topic.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:39 AM

Pics:

My intake is very similar to this set up does ne1 know how to eliminate the stock vacuum booster? I would like to make it just a straight short ram, but there doesn't seem to be enough vacuum.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Got Retrofit?

I kinda have the reverse
Me too.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 AM

i have the setup your talking about tatanko yes it is possible and it gives it the growl i will have pics up tonight basiclly i have a midpipe to the stock airbox with a k&n filter
Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by LiGhtSoUt
i have the setup your talking about tatanko yes it is possible and it gives it the growl i will have pics up tonight basiclly i have a midpipe to the stock airbox with a k&n filter
/Subscribed for the pix.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:49 PM
Bacon Lover

I look forward to the pictures
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 PM

I look forward to the pictures
I've Also had several different intake setups including the half and half that your speaking of. I ran an Ebay midpipe with the stock box. iirc it was a tight fit but it seemed to work fine...i used that setup for about two months. I'm running a Franken mid-pipe now with a heat shield that i made and a cool air source from the fender.

I looked for pictures of my old setup but could not find any. If i can get a hold of my brother he is running a mid pipe with the stock box on his Max and I'll see if he can submit some pictures for us

Edit: I read your were worried about the engine or box not being able to move around when driving and such due to engine position and i never had any issues with that
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Pat,

Talk to me on aim. I have a few ideas and I think that a double accordion might be in the plans for this. If that wont work, then Im sure we can figure something out.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM
Bacon Lover

Ok, sounds like it's possible then. I guess I'll give it a try when I'm bored tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:16 AM

better post pics
Old 02-20-2009, 07:18 AM

thats right pat, you best be postin them there pictures
Old 02-20-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
My setup is mostly OE and partly OSCAI. The pipe that goes downward just after the snorkle, heads into the box under the battery tray. The box has been removed and that pipe has been extended on through the inner fender wall into the area where a true CAI sits. I now have two sources of cold air coming into my completely stock intake.

Here's a pic of the setup as seen when you open my hood. LOL
Do you feel any change in gas mileage , power (at what rpm), sound ?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by hornepirate
I've Also had several different intake setups including the half and half that your speaking of. I ran an Ebay midpipe with the stock box. iirc it was a tight fit but it seemed to work fine...i used that setup for about two months. I'm running a Franken mid-pipe now with a heat shield that i made and a cool air source from the fender.

I looked for pictures of my old setup but could not find any. If i can get a hold of my brother he is running a mid pipe with the stock box on his Max and I'll see if he can submit some pictures for us

Edit: I read your were worried about the engine or box not being able to move around when driving and such due to engine position and i never had any issues with that

This is my current setup if any of you were interested...not really half stock but half cold air half warm air...ill try to get a better picture of the cool air source later tonight

Quick Reply: Half-and-Half Intake Setup