4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ACK! - 96 wont start?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 PM

ACK! - 96 wont start?!?

Ok, so I bought this '96 max VQ30(DE)-5MT for a steal cause it wouldn't start. I was relitively certian that I knew what the problem was since the symptoms reflected EXACTLY what my 240 did after we rebuilt the heads cause the fule rail was vapor locked (or somthing like that, relive back pressure fixed it)

SO, I get the car into my garage and start tinkering, and found the left (or rear) 3 cylindars were never compression checked as I was told, and in fact cylindar 1 and 3 had the spark plug Coil Assy (22433 in picture below) were completely shot. Cyl-1 was stuck so bad that it was destroyed durring removal. Cyl-3 was melted looking (see img 2). Cyl-5 was almost fine, but the end of it was loose.

Needless to say, I replaced the Coil Assy for the entire left side, but still no go. The starter turns but nothing. Nothing at all. It dosnt even seem like its trying to fire.

I checked the timeing chain, and its tight and turning everything properly.

Its got some nasty fule in it, im in the process of draining it to clean the tank, etc, but the ether should have overcome that.

Any other ideas? Feel free to call me if you have any, (seven seven five) two three three - two seven four five.

IMG2

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 02-11-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 PM
No more Maximas...

FWIW the rear bank is the right bank, not the left.

Any codes? So doesn't sound like it fires at all? Are both CKPS' and the CPS all hooked up?

Any recent trans work, or any work at all?

And how did you check the timing chain?

Last edited by pmohr; 02-11-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
FWIW the rear bank is the right bank, not the left.

Any codes? So doesn't sound like it fires at all? Are both CKPS' and the CPS all hooked up?

Any recent trans work, or any work at all?

thanks for the correction, i just assumed looking at the motor from the front.

As far as any work. not really. From what i have been told, the car was fine till it was parked caue the owner didnt wana make payments anymore. (long story but the tow driver/mechanic that took the car wass originaly gonna keep it if the finance company didnt get it, so he contacted the original owner and got info etc... )

So it sat for about 4 months before the tow driver tried to start it. He said he only tinkered with it for about 4 hours and gave up.

6 months later i bought it. So it sat without starting for about 10 months.

When i started talking to them about it they said that they checked out a few things for me before i drove the 400mile round trip to get it. Amoung thos things checked, timing chain, compression, plugs, starter, and a few other minor cosmetic issues.

I didnt wana ask them to check the fule rail as i thought the issue was cause i wanted to steal the car (only paid $350) and i figured if they started it the price would jump substancialy.

So here i am today, since my other max is a 91 i have to get a new computer for codes on the 96.

As far as the CKPS' and the CPS .. im kinda not sure what your refering to, but if you tell me ill check it out immediatly.

as far as timing chain i ckecked the peak holes. Im really trying not to tear all the way into the thing. :-\

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 02-16-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by cvsmaxima
thanks for the correction, i just assumed looking at the morot from the front.

As far as any work. not really. From what i have been told, the car was fine till it was parked caue the owner didnt wana make payments anymore. (long story but the tow driver that took the car wass originaly gonna keep it if the finance company didnt get it, so he contacted the original owner and got info etc... )

So it sat for about 4 months before the tow driver tried to start it. He said he only tinkered with it for about 4 hours and gave up.

6 months later i bought it. So it sat without starting for about 10 months.

When i started talking to them about it they said that they checked out a few things for me before i drove the 400mile round trip to get it. Amoung thos things checked, timing chain, compression, plugs, starter, and a few other minor cosmetic issues.

I didnt wana ask them to check the fule rail as i thought the issue was cause i wanted to steal the car (only paid $350) and i figured if they started it the price would jump substancialy.

So here i am today, since my other max is a 91 i have to get a new computer for codes on the 96.

As far as the CKPS' and the CPS .. im kinda not sure what your refering to, but if you tell me ill check it out immediatly.
All automotive directions are as if you're sitting in the driver's seat (and the motor's mounted as if it were RWD).

Not a bad price at all.

You can pull codes yourself for free, only takes 10 minutes. http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html
Then decode the flashes with the decoder in my sig.

CKPS'/CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor):

If you need a CKPS POS I've got a few for sale

But codes are definitely the first thing to check, since it could be a few things going on. Ignore 0304/P0325, it won't affect anything. Pretty much you're looking for Cam/Crank sensor codes.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM

But codes are definitely the first thing to check, since it could be a few things going on. Ignore 0304/P0325, it won't affect anything. Pretty much you're looking for Cam/Crank sensor codes.
ill go check these right now and get codes. /ill update as soon as im done.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Thats a very good price. Any pictures yet?

I have no idea about the problem, but hopefully you get it worked out, and if you decide to sell it, I'm sure you will profit way more money than $350..
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 PM

/ok i checked those connections and i didnt see anything disconnected, and the codes are 05 05 - No Failure Recorded/Detected
Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 PM
No more Maximas...

/ok i checked those connections and i didnt see anything disconnected, and the codes are 05 05 - No Failure Recorded/Detected
Okay, are you getting spark?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by snowboi1289
Thats a very good price. Any pictures yet?

I have no idea about the problem, but hopefully you get it worked out, and if you decide to sell it, I'm sure you will profit way more money than $350..
in the garage:

odometer: 159917
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Okay, are you getting spark?
yes i checked on all 6
Old 02-11-2009, 09:45 PM
No more Maximas...

in the garage:

odometer: 159917
Also grab a few decent size pics of the engine bay and email them over to me, I'll let you know if I spot anything obvious out of place (that wouldn't be readily apparent to a VQ newcomer).
Old 02-11-2009, 09:53 PM

ill just link these
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...A/DSCN1607.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...A/DSCN1608.jpg

PS i know that in the picturs the spark plugs are not connected. Everything else is as it was as far as i know

EDIT: and oh yeah, i took out the box between the mass air flow sensor and the intake

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 02-11-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:01 PM
No more Maximas...

ill just link these
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...A/DSCN1607.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...A/DSCN1608.jpg

PS i know that in the picturs the spark plugs are not connected. Everything else is as it was as far as i know

EDIT: and oh yeah, i took out the box between the mass air flow sensor and the intake
Nothing's really standing out.

Stupid question, but it does have fuel in it, correct? Sounds like it's a stupid question, but the small things will always get you.

Next step, I'd pop the fuel feed line (and replace the filter, while you're there) and see if you're getting fuel up to the engine.

Actually, first thing you should do is check all fuses, engine bay and inside fuse box.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM

Damn! Thats a real good deal!!! So when you were working on it, the plugs were connected, the MAF and throttle body stuff is all connected (like it was stock), also, does it even try to start? Like the starter is working, and it sounds like its almost getting spark?
Old 02-11-2009, 10:07 PM

Nothing's really standing out.

Stupid question, but it does have fuel in it, correct? Sounds like it's a stupid question, but the small things will always get you.

Next step, I'd pop the fuel feed line (and replace the filter, while you're there) and see if you're getting fuel up to the engine.

Actually, first thing you should do is check all fuses, engine bay and inside fuse box.
fuses checked earlier today under the dash and under the hood.

Fule also is flowing into the engine, however when i poped the return line, and preasurized the system i got nothing from the return :-\ but im not sure that i should have since the car wasnt running.

As far as fule filter, i have one to replace it with, however until i drain the tank and refill it with beter fule, im just gonna leave the one thats there in the car. i really dont wana run old gas thru a new filter. waste of a filter :-\
Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 PM
No more Maximas...

fuses checked earlier today under the dash and under the hood.

Fule also is flowing into the engine, however when i poped the return line, and preasurized the system i got nothing from the return :-\ but im not sure that i should have since the car wasnt running.

As far as fule filter, i have one to replace it with, however until i drain the tank and refill it with beter fule, im just gonna leave the one thats there in the car. i really dont wana run old gas thru a new filter. waste of a filter :-\
True. Next thing I would do personally is pop the fuel rail, and see if the injectors are spraying. That or if you have a noid light or a helper, you can check them to see if they're mechanically okay. Could've been clogged up from sitting for a while.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by snowboi1289
Damn! Thats a real good deal!!! So when you were working on it, the plugs were connected, the MAF and throttle body stuff is all connected (like it was stock), also, does it even try to start? Like the starter is working, and it sounds like its almost getting spark?
yes as far as everything being connected.

as far as starting, no. the starter turns the motor, but it dosnt even pretend to fire. ... well ok if i pop a lil ether it putts about 3 times, but not like its thinking about starting. the only sound is the starter. I called the stealership service dept today and he listened to it via the phone. he said it sounded like it was flooding and gave me a few steps to perform to "unflood" it (remove fule pump fuse and let it try to start for about 4 mins (30 seconds at a time) with the gas peddle to the floor. but still no change after i reinstalled the fuse. (and yes i double checked that i placed the fuse in the correct location )

as far as spark yes all the plugs are getting spark when tested pulled out aginst a ground.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 AM

True. Next thing I would do personally is pop the fuel rail, and see if the injectors are spraying. That or if you have a noid light or a helper, you can check them to see if they're mechanically okay. Could've been clogged up from sitting for a while.
injectors spraying is a lil tough, but i did use the ol' screwdriver to the injector and listen trick and im getting a tick from each of the 3 in front.
without taking off the intake (which im trying to aviod) i cant reach the 3 in back.

so, ok done with the front 3 so far. i re-tested the codes and got 0201 this time. is it possable to get this code if im leaving the key in the on position and using a button hooked directly to the starter so i can crank the motor while standing in front of it?

edit: also cyl 1,3,5 dont have the coil plugged in and the fule pump fuse has been once more removed.

Model Year1996
Flashing CEL code0201
OBD-II Standard P CodeP1320
Code DescriptionIgnition Signal

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 02-12-2009 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 AM

just a quick update, i did try resetting the codes with the instructions you linked above,, not sure if it worked or not... tried starting the car normaly without the button, and then re-tested it and still got 0201
Old 02-12-2009, 08:24 AM

just a quick update, i did try resetting the codes with the instructions you linked above,, not sure if it worked or not... tried starting the car normaly without the button, and then re-tested it and still got 0201

reset again, this time with sleep first. still 0201... im gonna finish the back side and try it again... but im a lil concerned about the part that says crankshaft position sensor... should i be concerned about it?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:04 AM

reset again, this time with sleep first. still 0201... im gonna finish the back side and try it again... but im a lil concerned about the part that says crankshaft position sensor... should i be concerned about it?
i'll tell you what to do. Take out the Crankshaft Position Sensor (pos), the one located on the belhousing beneith the car.
Wipe off the small magnet because there is probably particals all over it.

Put it back in nice n snug and try starting your car. This oly takes about 15 mins

I had the exact same problem. The car would turn over all day long and not even try to start. As soon as i wiped off the little magenet, it started 1st click.

Good Luck
Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bassbreaker
i'll tell you what to do. Take out the Crankshaft Position Sensor (pos), the one located on the belhousing beneith the car.

Put it back in nice n snug and try starting your car. This oly takes about 15 mins

I had the exact same problem. The car would turn over all day long and not even try to start. As soon as i wiped off the little magenet, it started 1st click.

Good Luck
starting that now. ill update as soon as im back
Old 02-12-2009, 09:09 AM

Hope he doesn't use any brake cleaner or other cleaner on it.

I wish I say this sooner.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:40 AM

Good Luck

ok took off the REF (since thats the one i think your talking about neway.. since its in the error code.. ) cleaned it up and replaced. turned key, same result, but it looks like the check code is finaly cleared. :\

Im gonna do the POS next.. but i have to take my kid to her Dr appt.. ill chekc back in about 2.5 hours...

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 02-12-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by fflint_18
Hope he doesn't use any brake cleaner or other cleaner on it.

I wish I say this sooner.

LOL, nah i just cleaned it off old school... with a rag and a lil elbow grease.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM

LOL, nah i just cleaned it off old school... with a rag and a lil elbow grease.

i was referring to the POS crank position sensor. The one located on the transmission under your car. If you checked the (ref) one located next to your pulleys, then that one may have been ok. Try the pos, it worked for me.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM

if it helps at all, it's probably the only sensor in your vision when you look up at the tranny. It has only one bolt holding it on, well mine did anyway, there was only one hole for it. Mine had rust on it sure. As soon as I cleaned it off, it was ok. Your code may have gone away, but didn't you say your right bank coils or cylinders were all messed up?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM

if it helps at all, it's probably the only sensor in your vision when you look up at the tranny. It has only one bolt holding it on, well mine did anyway, there was only one hole for it. Mine had rust on it sure. As soon as I cleaned it off, it was ok. Your code may have gone away, but didn't you say your right bank coils or cylinders were all messed up?

yeah look at the pictures. I replaced the coil to plug connectors.

Is it common or known issue if someone never changes the plugs that the things will melt like that?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:10 PM
No more Maximas...

yeah look at the pictures. I replaced the coil to plug connectors.

Is it common or known issue if someone never changes the plugs that the things will melt like that?
Not really, no.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 PM

i was referring to the POS crank position sensor. The one located on the transmission under your car. If you checked the (ref) one located next to your pulleys, then that one may have been ok. Try the pos, it worked for me.

ok cleaned the POS also still no start and the 0201 code is back
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Ignition circuit condenser? It's listed as an item to check for 0201. Don't know if it could go bad and yet you would still have spark, but it's a $5 part.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:08 PM

ok im back... replaced all the cyl ign coils... now on crank i get some hope... the sound has changed from "crank crank crank crank crank crank" to "crank crank putt putt crank crank putt putt" ... but still no actual start... but its closer... code is still 0201...
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM

is it possable that it could be misfiring?

i had someone over that thinks it sounds like a misfire. ...

thoughts?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 PM

used timing light just for the heck of it... light fires at 15deg BTDC while cranking the starter.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Grumpy old guy

I'd pump the tank empty, fill it with fresh gas and start from there.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 PM

out of curiousity have u checked the plugs themselves? youve checked everything around them...but havent heard u mention them
Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
out of curiousity have u checked the plugs themselves? youve checked everything around them...but havent heard u mention them

yeah, oem plat plugs, pulled, inspected, cleaned, gapped, tested and reinstalled...

once i get the thing running ill do a full tune up, replace them, fule filter, oil change etc...
Old 02-12-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nozama
I'd pump the tank empty, fill it with fresh gas and start from there.
working in that direction, but even with the fule pump fuse removed and using starting fluid, i should get *somthing* and so far not
Old 02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
No more Maximas...

Give that grounding thing a try?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:42 PM

ok i went through the FSM with a fine tooth comb and followed EVERY test and the final step (mentioned above by ATTappman) is the ignition condenser.

that is the only failure in the 0201 series for the FSM tests.

so the question is: would this alone keep it from firing?
(test is for ohms, there is suposed to be some level of resistance, but the test yields no continuity)

Im lookin for a stealership to get the part from localy, however no luck yet. Napa, Autozone, & Kragen cant even find a part number for it.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/28351m-...-p-131042.html

Last edited by cvsmaxima; 02-12-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: ACK! - 96 wont start?!?