4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Missing, stumbling, slipping, and loss of power...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Missing, stumbling, slipping, and loss of power...

Not necessarily in that order...

She stumbles when I blip the throttle

Sounds like she's missing and there's no power under mid throttle, but when I floor it she hesitates and then pulls like normal (kinda, pretty much).

Trans definitely slips also, but I'll get to that later.

Any suggestions?

And I appologize, my search is acting up. I can get one page of results, then I get a "Sorry..." message.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:14 PM
No more Maximas...

Codes, maintenance history, have you tried anything to solve the problems?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Codes, maintenance history, have you tried anything to solve the problems?
This is a '96 BTW.

She stalled a couple times last week and seemed weak under mid throttle. I was out of town until yesterday, and when I picked it up from the lot it was cool until I got home, but it died as soon as I parked. I drove super easy, since I wanted to get home issue-free, so I never noticed the mid-throttle weakness.

I replaced the MAF to cure the stalling problem today, which it did. -Back story: About a month ago, it was shifting a bit jerky, so I wanted to clean the MAF (works like a charm on an IS300). Like a damn fool I pulled off the plate where the connector is.

There's no codes, but the O/D light blinked once earlier today after starting the car (and hasn't since). The plugs were replaced about 2 years ago w/ Bosch plats. Also, I reset the ECU after doing the MAF just in case.

Thanks very much for the help!!!

Last edited by jollibee jiant; 02-12-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Update:

Just drove it around the block after it had hours to cool down and it drove great until it warmed up.

Same issues, though. Cruises fine, but no power and rough with moderate throttle. Idle is fine (~700) without load, but is rough when in gear (~500).
Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM
No more Maximas...

So, no codes then?

Since it runs decently when cold, but badly when it warms up, I'd check the ECTS.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 PM

Have you tried Sea Foam, dont know if it might help, but its worth a try (it didnt work for me, and I have almost the same problem).

Also, have you used any injector cleaner, that might help the hesitation, but still wondering about the stalling. Mine hesitates, but NEVER stalls. Have you cleaned your IAVC?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 PM
The Golden One

Check your plugs/coils. You haven't changed plugs in 2yrs. It's time.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:29 AM

I have a similar issue with my '99. It will stumble at idle-about 2000rpms. After that or when under heavy load it's OK. It took about 90 miles, and the SES finally came on...then went off. Now it's back on w/ a P0303. I had this before, and I swapped the #3 injector to the #1 spot to see if it was the injector that was bad, and that's not it. When I had it apart, I pulled the [plugs and they looked fine. Stupid me didn't change them though.

Is there any other way to test the ignition coils? I really like this car, but the hesitation is driving me nuts.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ning-iacv.html Scroll around...

Change your spark plugs to ngk copper plugs (unless you have the money for the double plats) because the spark plugs you have in there might cause problems. Then clean your IACV entirely by taking it apart completely followed by your throttle body. If you have a ignition coil problem it could do that as well. You can get all six online for $200 shipped.

Originally Posted by jollibee jiant
Not necessarily in that order...

She stumbles when I blip the throttle

Sounds like she's missing and there's no power under mid throttle, but when I floor it she hesitates and then pulls like normal (kinda, pretty much).

Trans definitely slips also, but I'll get to that later.

Any suggestions?

And I appologize, my search is acting up. I can get one page of results, then I get a "Sorry..." message.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Checked for codes this morning and the following came up:

TPS, Front Left 02, Knock Sensor.

I'll take care of these today, and change the plugs with double plats if these fixes don't cure the issues. I'll keep y'all posted.

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM
The Golden One

All those could definitely cause these problems. Get them fixed and I'm pretty sure your car will purr again.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 PM

So........

Didn't do the knock sensor, but I did the O2 and TPS. She's more or less back to where she was. It still feels like there's something holding her back around ~2-3.5k -thinking it's the knock sensor, and then there's the slipping trans.

Still have to adjust the idle, and I'm gonna do the knock sensor and clean the IACV next week. -Shame it needs gaskets and all that, on the 540 I used to own, the ICV was in between the intake tube and TB connected by hoses. You could pull it off and clean it in minutes.

FYI, this is my mom's car, which she has owned since new. Considering the way she drives, I've suggested she holds on to it. So I'm trying to keep it in good order, but the history is a bit spotty since she's taken it to god-knows-where for maintenance a few times against my advice (she loves to give help, but hates asking for it).

Thanks again for EVERYTHING!!! You have all been a HUGE HELP!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My automatic sounds exactly like this even after, new plugs, fuel filter, adjusted TPS, clean IAVC, new pcv, air filter..... but my coils are starting to go bad.

I have rather low idle when under load as well.. try some injector cleaner. Idk if BGK-44 is any good... but that's what i've used on a few cars. It gives a smoother idle after about a tank or two.

Also, new plugs make the firing of the coils fire easier. Buy some NGK plugs and check the gap before they go in. They shouldn't need it... but i'd always double check. That in itself may help your mid-range response.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my max was doing the same thing it even use to knock when i floor it,i changed my spark plugs (make sure u gap them they say pre gapped but they are not gapped for the car ,fuel filter , pcv valve, and my knock sensor was bad. after that my car ran hella good. try that u might just need a lil tune up
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 AM

What kinda plugs?
Originally Posted by flyestblackmax
my max was doing the same thing it even use to knock when i floor it,i changed my spark plugs (make sure u gap them they say pre gapped but they are not gapped for the car ,fuel filter , pcv valve, and my knock sensor was bad. after that my car ran hella good. try that u might just need a lil tune up
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 AM

packs and MAF sensor.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When you change plugs... pull your coils apart and clean them up. I recently had the same issues as you (98). I cleaned the contact points of each coil (where the spring contacts the meta)l. Now my car doesn't blip or miss... it just runs like normal again! Two of my coils had mild dirt build up and two had a small amount of corrosion build up. Coat the rubber w/di-electric lithium grease and it should keep them water tight.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yesterday, in my 1998 Maxima GXE after a hard brake on icy roads I lost all power and engine quit. I restarted and after shifting into drive it failed again. It took me over an hour to go 17 miles because I kept losing power and the engine would shut down. I put in HEET thinking I had put in bad fuel. It seemed to help but then the problem occured again multiple times after letting the car sit for a few hours.

Tonight, Autozone test said MAF P0100 and O2 sensor P0141.

Did the hard braking do this? Is my only option to do the MAF
Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by tan98
Yesterday, in my 1998 Maxima GXE after a hard brake on icy roads I lost all power and engine quit. I restarted and after shifting into drive it failed again. It took me over an hour to go 17 miles because I kept losing power and the engine would shut down. I put in HEET thinking I had put in bad fuel. It seemed to help but then the problem occured again multiple times after letting the car sit for a few hours.

Tonight, Autozone test said MAF P0100 and O2 sensor P0141.

Did the hard braking do this? Is my only option to do the MAF
Did you check anything? Connector on the MAF, battery terminals, anything?

And post in the newbie thread, not in other people's threads.

I swear, it just keeps happening.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

OOPS,
Sorry, I did not know about a newbie thread as today is my first day on the site. I am sorry to inconvenience anyone. How do I do a "newbie" thread?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by tan98
OOPS,
Sorry, I did not know about a newbie thread as today is my first day on the site. I am sorry to inconvenience anyone. How do I do a "newbie" thread?
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html