4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange Accel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Strange Accel Problem

So, i did search but unfourtunately with the description of this problem i didnt find much..

To start this off ill say this..

1. No CEL or SES
2. The only thing ive done recently was reset my SRS Light, seeing as she wanted to give me **** tonight and tell me she needed a self diag.

So, its 2 AM and i jsut drove the car a quarter mile down the road to check and make sure the SRS light was gone. In that quarter mile, i took her up to around 70 and in the process the RPM's skyrocketed but she was jerking strangly.. and im not sure how to explain this... but IIRC on Decel the RPM's Dropped almost 750 from 2500 at 65 MPH almost as if she was changing gears... the RPM's than shot Back up and repeated.. uhh if this is a misfire.. than i feel like an idiot. but i will say my Idle is pretty steady, the car was almost at Op Temp and around 750 RPM's at idle and slowly going back and forth within mabey 10RPM's which could have jsut been the idle decreaseing as it warmed.. I will say ive never noticed any flux between the idle before... so ehh..

In all honesty the car hasnt seen much TLC lately, my father just got out of the hospitol after Open Heart Surgery so the past month ive been focussing on him not the car... so i do know i need to do an Oil change and.. IIRC the plugs arnt more than mabey 8-10K miles old...

Any Suggestions?

Thanks In Advanced
Ryan
Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM

thats strange did you call your local guy.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Tranny slipping?
Old 02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

nice engine detail
Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM
No more Maximas...

Auto?

Does the OD light blink at all on startup? Any other trans issues apparent?
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM

Hey Pmohr, was waitin on your response haha, yes shes an Auto and no the O/D light does not blink anymore than it should at startup just does its on and off...

well.... Nada... tranny shifts hard, but thats my teenagerish driving... i drive er hard but always warm her before use... she drives great... the RPM's have always been steady.. ect.. My father runs an AAMCO and ive learned alot about transmissions through working there on the weekends. im almost positive this is not a tranny issue. so can anyone suggest anything? a Coil induced misfire would have thrown a code wouldnt it? idk.. im puzzled. then again ill probably end up driving it tomorrow as i didnt all day today and find that the problem has... magically.. dissappeared. but in any event. if anyone has any suggestions.. they would be helpful
thanks guys
Ryan

Last edited by FallenOne; 02-26-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Whatchyou say?

Check the fluid level in the trans ... may need a flush too. Does the car stumble at all during acceleration, or at idle? Try bringing it up to speed over a longer period of time (in other words ... don't just mash the gas and GO!). If the trans is slipping, you'll notice a jump in the rev counter (RPMs) just before a shift (usually - and depending on the clutch bands / gear that may be going / gone).

It can't hurt to clean the TB either .... when is the last time the air filter was changed?
Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Hey Pmohr, was waitin on your response haha, yes shes an Auto and no the O/D light does not blink anymore than it should at startup just does its on and off...

well.... Nada... tranny shifts hard, but thats my teenagerish driving... i drive er hard but always warm her before use... she drives great... the RPM's have always been steady.. ect.. My father runs an AAMCO and ive learned alot about transmissions through working there on the weekends. im almost positive this is not a tranny issue. so can anyone suggest anything? a Coil induced misfire would have thrown a code wouldnt it? idk.. im puzzled. then again ill probably end up driving it tomorrow as i didnt all day today and find that the problem has... magically.. dissappeared. but in any event. if anyone has any suggestions.. they would be helpful
thanks guys
Ryan
It's almost certainly a trans issue, if the RPMs were changing enough at a relatively constant speed as if it were changing gears.

As JtzMax said, check the trans fluid, both condition and level.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Almost the same problem

On the rare occasion that I floor the accelerator to pass someone, I notice a decrease in acceleration, like it shifted up or something. If I ease off it shifts down and drives fine. If I keep it floored, RPMs struggle to get to 3000 and my acceleration is almost nil.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Whatchyou say?

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-posting.html

Start here ^^^^^

Don't hi-jack someones thread with this problem, please be respectfull. On the other hand, welcome to the .Org