4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help with starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help with starting

Iv never had so much trouble fixing my maxima...
Wount start... Rebuilt the starter but the problem still there. Starter spins but to no avail, i hear no attempts at ignition of fuel.
It seems the problem is that my ignition coils are not being set off, i pulled one out and no spark at all. Does anyone know what could be making all the coils not be set off yet the starter still spins?
The problem slowly got worce and worce... at first the car started sometimes now not at all, this makes me suspect that its not a fuse problem but some faulty component.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 AM
No more Maximas...

So, no codes? The starter spins the engine but it won't fire up?

Did you do any work on the car immediately prior to the starting issue?

If you're not getting spark, check the connections to the CKPS (POS/REF) and CPS, and clean them up if they're covered in metal shavings.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks I did have some CrankShaft Position Sensor Code but i reset the comp to see if it comes back... and the car hast started since. So your saying a failure in any one of these sensors could result in no spark?

So i will try to check all the Crankshaft sensors and see if one is not connected well, also ill try to get the code again see if it tells me exactly which one is failing.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by madnut
Thanks I did have some CrankShaft Position Sensor Code but i reset the comp to see if it comes back... and the car hast started since. So your saying a failure in any one of these sensors could result in no spark?

So i will try to check all the Crankshaft sensors and see if one is not connected well, also ill try to get the code again see if it tells me exactly which one is failing.

Thanks
Yes, that's undoubtedly your problem.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:05 PM

Fidanza Flywheel fell apart?

Hmmm! I looked to see if the crankshaft pulley spins when the starter is spinning and noticed no spin. Took off the starter and discovered that I can slightly rotate the Flywheel Cogs with my hand... and more disturbing i can move them laterally too. Could it be that the black gear part of the flywheel disconnected from the rest of the flywheel? Has anyone had an issue like that with the Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel?

Turns out I'm am not alone here is a vid of what someone else's Fidanza looks like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp4oAsoHyPo mine is the same way!

Don't get buy a Fidanza flywheel!!! Even if somehow i get them to give me a new one (its been more than a year) Id never spend the time dropping the tranny to install it just to have it break like this again...

Thanks

Last edited by madnut; 03-06-2009 at 11:26 PM.