4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is more hard on your engine and transmission? (for autos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:22 PM
Banned

What is more hard on your engine and transmission? (for autos)

What harms your engine and trasmission more and is more likely to lead to a blown engine?

1. Revving your engine to high RPMs in park or neutral.

or

2. When youre cruising at like 20/30/40 mph and you slam on the gas and it downshifts to like 6000rpm.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 PM

i30's are not affected by either so your in the clear. free rev and wot downshift all you want.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QNO_A32
i30's are not affected by either so your in the clear. free rev and wot downshift all you want.
Is that a joke? Why are i30's not affected?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 PM

downshifts are more harmful to your transmission. as for high revs, thats what the rev limiter is there for.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
No more Maximas...

You'll be fine either way. Neither of those are all that harmful.

However, if you're looking for which will cause more damage over time, I'd say revving to redline in neutral.

Why are you revving to redline when not under load, though? To 'show off'?

Last edited by pmohr; 03-12-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pmohr
You'll be fine either way.

Pretty much, i love that injen intake. And i love revvin it under a tunnel, 1 time an old lady infront of me in an old Geo had her window open and spilled her coffee everywhere.

Last edited by mantis40; 03-12-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
downshifts are more harmful to your transmission. as for high revs, thats what the rev limiter is there for.
+1

over time though, both will cause damage.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by mantis40
Pretty much, i love that injen intake. And i love revvin it under a tunnel, 1 time an old lady infront of me in an old Geo had her window open and spiller her coffee everywhere.

Wow.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM

Pretty much, i love that injen intake. And i love revvin it under a tunnel, 1 time an old lady infront of me in an old Geo had her window open and spilled her coffee everywhere.
Seriously?!?!

Anyway, as long as your engine is maintained well neither should harm it. Eventually things will wear out more quickly, so it isn't like it 100% will explode if you do it.

But, I don't think the engine was designed to be spooled up to redline so quickly under no load.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM

lawl.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Old 03-12-2009, 08:35 PM

You'll be fine either way. Neither of those are all that harmful.

However, if you're looking for which will cause more damage over time, I'd say revving to redline in neutral.

same kind of thing happened to me, although i did not rev my engine..i was just passing...i was driving down the freeway and this suv was in front of me (family) the wife was in the passenger seat, the dude was going so slow and on his cell phone so i passed on the right (was getting off in 2 miles) and gunned it..needless to say the lady put her hands up as if something was jumping on her and leaned to her left...the window was up..lol her face was priceless.....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by QNO_A32

so.. I30's dont posses the same exact VQ30DE as the Maxima now huh?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
same kind of thing happened to me, although i did not rev my engine..i was just passing...i was driving down the freeway and this suv was in front of me (family) the wife was in the passenger seat, the dude was going so slow and on his cell phone so i passed on the right (was getting off in 2 miles) and gunned it..needless to say the lady put her hands up as if something was jumping on her and leaned to her left...the window was up..lol her face was priceless.....
Haha, Oh God your story reminds me of a story too. One day I was following my brother-in-law following him since he just bought a car and needed someone to drive one of the cars home, and he in his new car, drove past 5 lanes on the high way, and I was forced to follow him, I got past three before a truck wouldn't let me pass, so I ended up getting pulling into a emergency lane a couple feet away and slowly went reverse on the freeway until I got into the exit!

I was basically asking for a ticket by backing up for that long on the highway
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

1. Revving your engine to high RPMs in park or neutral.
Stupid and useless thing to do. Why is this even a question?

2. When youre cruising at like 20/30/40 mph and you slam on the gas and it downshifts to like 6000rpm.
Definately puts a strain on the engine and tranny.
It's your car, drive it how you like.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 AM
oem ftw!

Originally Posted by Leo_Koneval
Haha, Oh God your story reminds me of a story too. One day I was following my brother-in-law following him since he just bought a car and needed someone to drive one of the cars home, and he in his new car, drove past 5 lanes on the high way, and I was forced to follow him, I got past three before a truck wouldn't let me pass, so I ended up getting pulling into a emergency lane a couple feet away and slowly went reverse on the freeway until I got into the exit!

I was basically asking for a ticket by backing up for that long on the highway

In conclusion:
Old 03-13-2009, 10:29 AM

High RPM's for an extended period of time = engine damage

End of story
Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
Now you see, this was unintentional, he merely ripped around a slow car and the lady freaked out. I've been there done the same exact thing.

Now...ricing on the gas pedal in "park" just to show off/scare an old woman in a geo metro while drinking coffee? wtf
Old 03-13-2009, 03:38 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

driving in stop 'n go traffic all the time is just as hard on the engine & tranny
Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM

I think everyone Is forgeting the most important one here, that is if you are reving your car in N and slamming the car into D than you might have just killed the tranny and that might be the last of It. If you are shifting your car in to 2nd and 3rd and than into D that will toast the tranny also.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
I think everyone Is forgeting the most important one here, that is if you are reving your car in N and slamming the car into D than you might have just killed the tranny and that might be the last of It. If you are shifting your car in to 2nd and 3rd and than into D that will toast the tranny also.
Neutral dropping will shock the trans until it self destructs, correct.

However, manually upshifting will do no such thing.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 PM

Neutral dropping will shock the trans until it self destructs, correct.

However, manually upshifting will do no such thing.
When im in stop and go traffic, under 35 MPH i keep her in 2nd so she doesnt have to shift, and when the time is right i move her into D and thank god for a lil thing called the Drop Resistor, which than decides when it is a same time to actually shift into 3rd.

oh hey vqmaxman, we have 1st 2nd than D haha not 2 3 D

yaknow what pmohr, i think you need your own thread just listing the amount of times you have had to correct people and their... lazyness.

Last edited by FallenOne; 03-13-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by FallenOne
When im in stop and go traffic, under 35 MPH i keep her in 2nd so she doesnt have to shift, and when the time is right i move her into D and thank god for a lil thing called the Drop Resistor, which than decides when it is a same time to actually shift into 3rd.

oh hey vqmaxman, we have 1st 2nd than D haha not 2 3 D

yaknow what pmohr, i think you need your own thread just listing the amount of times you have had to correct people and their... lazyness.
FWIW the DR doesn't control shift timing, only shift pressure.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:21 PM

This also can cause some damage to the tranny and engine when It's very cold outside and the car was not warmed up and you just take off and you will redline it the car will take off but when your coming to a stop the car will studder bad and misfire.

Whoops, I ment 1,2,D I guess It's one of those days.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 PM

Hey I am not sure if this is true or not but I read something a long time ago called like "proper transmission etiquette" for a automatic transmission and I remembered little rules that I still follow to this day and they are:

1. Always move the gear selector from P to D or whatever slowly, stopping at each one in between for a few seconds to allow the car to properly shift.

2. When moving from D to R or vice versa, always come to a complete stop then change the gear to R or D and wait for the car to shift for a second or two then begin moving again.

3. When going up a steep grade or before beginning to go up a steep slow put the car in gear 1 or gear 2 and keep it there until you reach flat ground and then shift to D. (I personally think this is a little ridiculous as going constantly in one gear can't be good for the car and with the amount of slopes in the area where I live I think it would do more harm than good)

4. When going down a steep grade shift to 1 to allow the engine to brake for you. (Something I also don't do)

There are many more, like when you first start your car go through all the gears and allow each one to shift fully before beginning to move your car. And also something like, you apply the parking brake first and then move the gear to P and park.

Not sure if these are true or not. But I follow the ones I see are reasonable haha
Old 03-13-2009, 11:08 PM

honestly Leo. Just stop the Car before ya shift from Reverse to Drive and vice versa. thats about all ya gotta worry about.

FWIW the DR doesn't control shift timing, only shift pressure.
i know that, did i type something incorrectly? if so i appologize.

Last edited by FallenOne; 03-13-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 AM

You should be fine either way. Though going WOT all the time will kill your gas mileage.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 AM

Old 03-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Hahah thankyou! I really didn't think about it until I saw this thread. I've always read that automatic transmissions always need fixing sooner than a properly used manual, so I was worried

honestly Leo. Just stop the Car before ya shift from Reverse to Drive and vice versa. thats about all ya gotta worry about.

i know that, did i type something incorrectly? if so i appologize.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:10 PM

Hahah thankyou! I really didn't think about it until I saw this thread. I've always read that automatic transmissions always need fixing sooner than a properly used manual, so I was worried
oh hey, dont thank us yet, you still need to remmeber to do general maintnence! id have to kick myself in the nuts if i let ya go without it!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:55 PM

oh hey, dont thank us yet, you still need to remmeber to do general maintnence! id have to kick myself in the nuts if i let ya go without it!
Ah you mean bleeding the system and changing the fluids and such? Don't worry I'll remember Thankyou

I think I'll kick myself in the nuts too, if I broke my transmission from lack of maintenance!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:58 PM

A+ Thread, would read again.

uppet:
Old 03-15-2009, 07:10 PM

I've always read that automatic transmissions always need fixing sooner than a properly used manual, so I was worried
I hate to say, but I don't think that is the case with our cars. With the improperly shimmed differential bearings on the 5sp's and input shaft bearings which seam to prematurely wear out as well as weak syncros, I think the automatic on the 4th gen is actually more reliable than the 5sp.

No way in hell I would go automatic though....
Old 03-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Heat = engine's and trans worst enemy. You be the judge of that.