4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Horn fuse keeps blowing???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM

Horn fuse keeps blowing???

I got 2 horns from a friend, and I wanted to test them out to see if they even worked, well they worked for about a second, then it blew the horn fuse. I searched to see if I can find a solution, but I didnt get a direct answer. The relays or whatever they are on the left side of the car (facing the car) looked good and I hear a clicking sound when I hit the horn, I know those should work. Theres another relay box right in front of the battery, the box is broken up, but all of the relays should work (the horn one might not).

What I am trying to figure out, is what fuse or relay I should replace to get the horns to work. Also if I want a different horn, do I need to replace anything, say the fuses or relay? I spent nearly $5. for 15 amp fuses and 10 amp fuses, and most of the 10 amp fuses got blown, except one that I didnt put in yet. I tried a 15 amp fuse, still blew.

I searched, and the anti theft fuse also blew, I replaced it with an extra fuse, I checked most of the fuses that would be related to the horn, everythign should work, but the horn doesnt.

If anybody can help out, that would be great.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sure, i can help...Don't use the horns that you got from your friend, their is something wrong with them..
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 AM

I know, I wanted to see if they worked, but after they didnt, I didnt care if they worked or not, my original horns didnt work.

I must have not made it clear in the first post, niether horns work, the horn fuse keeps blowing.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Does the fuse blow even if the horns are disconnected?

If your answer is NO - Then it's your horns that are bad.
If your answer is YES - Then the problem is with the horn circuit.

Troubleshooting 101 ..... seriously.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:01 PM

I dont beleive the original horns are bad, I bet its the circuit. I cant figure out what to look for. I might just go ahead and take it to autozone, and ask them, or take it to a shop where my friend works.

Just to clear this up, I am not using the other horns that a friend gave me, so I'm only using the horns that were on the car before. All hooked up correctly.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Does the fuse blow even if the horns are disconnected?

If your answer is NO - Then it's your horns that are bad.
If your answer is YES - Then the problem is with the horn circuit.

Troubleshooting 101 ..... seriously.

Troubleshoot what? Tell me what to troubleshoot, I've never had a problem with my horn, or any thing like that. Not even the relays, only a couple small fuses.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 PM

Ok, I got one of the horns to work. I have to check all the wires, because I sure theres a short, because the one by the grille doesnt work, but the other one does.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM

check the ground inside the car and on the rad support
Old 03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by snowboi1289
I know, I wanted to see if they worked, but after they didnt, I didnt care if they worked or not, my original horns didnt work.

I must have not made it clear in the first post, niether horns work, the horn fuse keeps blowing.
not only did you "not make it clear"...you completely failed to mention it at all nice..now i remember why i don't come into this forum that often..

you will have much better luck with diagnoses of your problems if you mention simple facts like the original horns not working!!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
not only did you "not make it clear"...you completely failed to mention it at all nice..now i remember why i don't come into this forum that often..

you will have much better luck with diagnoses of your problems if you mention simple facts like the original horns not working!!
Your a moderator and you dont come to this forum often?

I figured that everybody would know what I'm talking about. Funny thig is, I drove around the block today to get some money, and the horn (I'm guessing near the washer fluid neck is) just works when I press the horn, and it doesnt have a fuse in it. I'm not just going to leave it alone, because I've heard of stupid stuff like that can start a fire. I have no fuse in the horn place, and it just works.

Once it stops ranning (hopefully tomarrow) I'll go out and look at all the wiring and ground.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 PM

the horn by the windshield washer filler is part of the theft system and is on a different fuse and relay then than the horn(s) in front of the radiator. the horn switch in the steering wheel is wired to make the theft horn sound with the horn(s) in front of the radiator. you may have one horn in front of the radiator or you may have two. my 97 has one.

based on your last post, it sounds to me that you are blowing the fuse for the horn(s) in front of the radiator. if you have a short in the wiring, you can unplug the horn(s) and it will still blow fuses. if it only blows fuses when the horns are plugged in, then the horn itself has shorted internally and has to be replaced.

if you have a ground problem, the horn(s) will either not work at all (broken wire) or be blowing constantly (shorted wire).

to troubleshoot this, you need a DVM (volt/ohmmeter) and a known good horn. to test the horn itself, unplug the wire harness from the horn, get a jumper wire and connect between the battery positive terminal and the connector on the horn. if you have taken the horn off the car, you will need to ground the case of the horn as well as the jumper wire.

Last edited by DennisMik; 03-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:17 AM

Ok, my car is now going dead, because of the short. I have a volt meter, a very old analog one. The horn might be blown, not sure, dont care, I'm selling it, and need a quick fix. The horn by the rad support doesnt work at all, to make it clear.

The fuse still keeps blowing. The wrie from the horn by the rad support must be touching ground, because when I used the volt meter, theres voltage going to the horn, without me pressing the horn switch.

Is there away for me to just cut the wire from the fuse box by the battery? The guy will be buying it today, and I know it will cost over 2$200. to get a professional to fix it, which is a problem, because I have no money, and I need the full $1000. he's giving me.

Any help at all will be very nice!!! Please quickly reply if you can help.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Come on, I need help, NOW. I'm fixing to sell the car in an hour.