4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help ASAP. 4.5 gen won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need help ASAP. 4.5 gen won't start.

Unfortunately my car has had the much complained about 4th gen hard start issue for a couple years now but I have never ran into this problem up until now. We did a 3.5 swap last summer and retained the 4th gen sensors. The car will constantly crank and sometimes put like it's going to start. Occasionally when it's warm, it will start. Ususally when it's cold I can get it to start after a few seconds of cranking. Now here's the odd part. Warm or cold, I can always pop start it and once it's running, it runs GREAT. No issues at all once running. It is throwing code 0407 (crank REF sensor) but I don't know if that is related to the hard start problem or not. So if anyone has had this problem or has any suggestions on where to start please let me know asap. I would GREATLY appreciate it. I start work on Wednesday so I need to get my car back to it's reliable self by then. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 PM
No more Maximas...

Replace the CKPS.

Seriously, it's one of the 3 main sensors that control engine timing.

If you get a code, test/replace the part before you try to diagnose any other symptom, or make a big post about it.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 PM

No disrespect toward any specific member on this forum but as you can see I have been a member here since 2004. I use this forum as a last resort when I have a problem because you get people coming on here with attitudes when someone simply asks for help which I don't see a problem with. If someone asks me for advice on a problem, I have no problems helping them out. I'm not trying to turn this into a battle thread by any means. As you can see I've been on here for 5 years and have only 526 posts compared to other people that have been on the forums as long as me with thousands of posts. I called a fellow member in Brooklyn who is a maxima guru and he told me that sometimes the hard start issue can trip that code which is why I didn't want to jump to conclusions and spend money on a sensor that doesn't need to be replaced. No disrespect toward you at all but trust me. I made some calls to other members before posting on here to get a final word. I just don't have the cash to play with right now or else I'd be more than happy to place the sensor. I also do not have a multimeter and I don't know anyone down here yet. So I'm just trying to get some input rom people who have possibly had this problem or have any other ideas of what it could be before I pay to replace this sensor. Again, no disrespect directed toward any member on here.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:59 PM

You really should get a multimeter...$10-$20 depending on how fancy you want to get.

If you don't have enough money for that, you don't have enough money for gas and wouldn't be able to drive anyway
Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by NYC32798
No disrespect toward any specific member on this forum but as you can see I have been a member here since 2004. I use this forum as a last resort when I have a problem because you get people coming on here with attitudes when someone simply asks for help which I don't see a problem with. If someone asks me for advice on a problem, I have no problems helping them out. I'm not trying to turn this into a battle thread by any means. As you can see I've been on here for 5 years and have only 526 posts compared to other people that have been on the forums as long as me with thousands of posts. I called a fellow member in Brooklyn who is a maxima guru and he told me that sometimes the hard start issue can trip that code which is why I didn't want to jump to conclusions and spend money on a sensor that doesn't need to be replaced. No disrespect toward you at all but trust me. I made some calls to other members before posting on here to get a final word. I just don't have the cash to play with right now or else I'd be more than happy to place the sensor. I also do not have a multimeter and I don't know anyone down here yet. So I'm just trying to get some input rom people who have possibly had this problem or have any other ideas of what it could be before I pay to replace this sensor. Again, no disrespect directed toward any member on here.
It's possible that a starting issue could throw the code, yes.

However if you actually read my post, you'll see that I didn't say to just replace the sensor, but to actually test it.

As Coolsaber57 said, just get a multimeter. You can't really expect to properly diagnose issues (especially with an engine swap such as this) without the most basic of diagnostic equipment, starting with a multimeter.

Test the CKPS, replace if necessary.

Also, as you can find through a search quite easily, try a ground wire to the starter to see if that helps.

Have you done any sort of diagnostics or try anything on your own before starting the thread? A little searching can give you a lot of info.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:55 PM

I've had people check out this problem from the guru that built the 3.5 motor to other various mechanics who tell me to try this and that and so far nothing has worked. I tried jumping the signal wire on the starter directly to the battery and it cranks over normally instead of giving me the hard start problem but it still won't start up. I'll try what you suggested and keep you updated.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:38 PM
Turbo 3.5

this is what happened to me, you did not give alot of details but hope it helps

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/5...-no-start.html
Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 PM

Thanks for the above advice. I'll look into it. I have an update. I was able to get under the hood for 5 minutes before the complex security guard complained. I noticed smoke coming from under the hood while cranking. I noticed smoke coming from the starter and that the alternator wire that bolts to the alternator was melting. Are there any other wires that run along the alternator wire that may have been affected and would cause this problem? I'll try to get a video up for you guys so you can see exactly what I'm dealing with. I'm going to replace the starter since I have a lifetime warranty on it and also replace the positive and ground wires to the alternator, starter, and battery anyway to be safe. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Good luck with solving your problem!

But if you are hearing a fast paced ticking sound when you try to start, kind of like the sound two thin pieces of woods make when you slap them together except a lot faster, it could be the battery! But more specifically the starter or alternator.

Sorry, it was very random and mostly likely not related to your problem. Just throwing ideas out.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Ok guys here's what happened today. I got the car started while it was cold. 90% of the time the car will start when it's cold. I got down the road about 5 minutes and the battery and brake light went on which means alternator. I got a lifetime warranty on that too fortunately. I picked up all the wiring I need and I'm going to exchange the starter and alternator and run the new wires and see what happens. The battery is a 2 month old optima yellow top so it should be good it just may need a charge. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for all the help so far.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 AM

did u notice all your gauge cluster lights turn on when you first started up your car?? brake, battery, engine, tcs (if quipped), air bag, ect ect.. ?? its for sure an alternator!!
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Well here's what I found today. The alternator fuse popped. I looked at the melted wire and it wasn't the actual power wire coming from the alternator that was melted. It's the ground wire that runs next to the alternator wire which means I have to run a new ground wire. Does anyone know where the ground wire next to the alternator power wire leads to and from?

EDIT: I found where the ground wires lead to but what do you think would cause the wires to melt like that? I know it's a 13 year old car but the insulation for the ground wires are literally non existant. I'm worried I could have some other major electrical problems down the road now. Luckily the fuse did it's job before causing a possible fire. I'm going to upgrade and re-wire everything but it may just melt again due to something being faulty. Any ideas?

Last edited by NYC32798; 03-24-2009 at 09:53 PM.