4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clunking noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:24 AM

Clunking noise from front end

everytime I make a right or left. I here a clunking sound!
ive searched
not sure if its my control arms, tire rods, ball joints or what
help please!
thanks org!
Old 03-28-2009, 06:59 AM

def control arms.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vQmaxii
everytime I make a right or left. I here a clunking sound!
ive searched
not sure if its my control arms, tire rods, ball joints or what
help please!
thanks org!
is youre car lowered?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:10 AM

yeah stechs
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 AM
When are gas prices going down

I have similar issues, though not lowered. It's much worse when I'm in reverse. The alignment is whack, especially noticeable at highway speeds. I was thinking tie rod ends, but could this be control arms as well?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 AM

sounds like a control arms..
Old 03-29-2009, 10:42 AM

I am hearing a similar noise on my car, so i replaced the strut mounts in front and i still hear the noise. So i have narrowed it down to my axles. My axles are popping back and forth making a clucking noise when i turn. But while i am down there i am going to do my ball joints as well.

Last edited by Kico; 04-26-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Black Lion

I have also had front end noise. Im lowered on Sprint springs with KYB AGX adjut I only hear the niose when I go over a bumpy road or turn hard right. I have a few different sound one sound when going over bumpy roads sound like a metal clunking along with like rattling type sound. When I turn hard right I also hear a rattling type sound. I have had sway end links, lower control arm, inner tie rod, rubber boot (RIGHT AND LEFT SIDE) . I also had both stut mounts replaced. My mechanic told me he can't figure out where the noise is coming from. So frustrating , Im going to check alignment and go from there.

Last edited by maxprivate; 03-29-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM

could be many things making that noise. Axles, sway bar links, sway bar bushings, strut mount, strut bearings, etc. i dont see how it could be your control arm unless u bent it. It could be the control arm bushings or balljoint. There was a link on here with a guy who put a video up and it was his control arm bushing(the one closer to the front which is silver and has a nut on it), hope that helps a bit. I have noises too. I just did both balljoints, the rubber was torn, but it did not help the noise at all. Doin inner outer tie rods next and wheel bearings, cause I gotta do those anyway, and after that hopefully raxles, and it should be good (fingers crossed).

Last edited by vilmaxima; 03-29-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:34 PM
Black Lion

The guy that has worked on my car has been a mechanic at Nissan for as long as I owned my car 97.. and he couldn't find the source of the noise and told me there was nothing else he could do . sucks I've spent about 800 bucks on front end repairs so far.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Snypa
def control arms.
bingo just had mine done and it took care of it
Old 03-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had the same problem when i looked my control arm needed changing and my stabilizer link was snapped in half
Old 03-29-2009, 08:30 PM

What has happened in the past with my control arm is it got really worn and the ball joints were off(not firm/has some play).So try jacking up the car shaking the wheel and IF you see wobbling or even here any slight clunking.....thats exactly what happened on my side. It could also be the strut mount.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 AM
100 posts/7 years - woot!

I just got back from my mechanic, who attributes my 'clunking' sound to the rusting lower radiator support, which is significantly degraded it seems. Time to do a new search, I've heard this particular repair is trouble and $
Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Phaedrus220
I just got back from my mechanic, who attributes my 'clunking' sound to the rusting lower radiator support, which is significantly degraded it seems. Time to do a new search, I've heard this particular repair is trouble and $
yes it is a lot of work for the replacement of the radiator support. Make sure you use Nissan support bracket when you have this part replaced . That is another part I forgot to add to the list of work I had done so far and noise is still there.

Last edited by maxprivate; 03-31-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM

well well....there goes the culprit.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:57 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Snypa
well well....there goes the culprit.
Well its possible it could be the cause of the noise, but not necessarily. I thought replacing my Radiator support would take care of my front end noise and it didn't .

Last edited by maxprivate; 03-31-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 AM

I have a horrible clunk in my front end also. My mechanic changed 4 rubbers on the left side and it stoped for awhile. Then I got the sound again, he showed my 2 long flat metal pieces that appeared to be on the frame. They were really thin and both needed to be sandwiched together and they were coming apart when I turn left, right, pothole and uphill turns. He welded it but it only held for about an hour. I still have the noise.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

clunking sound with turns

have you checked the sway bar links. these often go overlooked cuz when the car is on the ground they appear as normal. nissan used a ball-in-socket type swaybar links. when the ball pops out, or in my case, cracks the socket into pieces, the loose ends hit eachother when the nose of your car rolls around turns, thus the clunking sound. if its a rattling sound its possible that your brake mounts are loose or worn. mine are cranked tight but the mounts are worn so it offers a slight rattling sound when turning.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by djluski
have you checked the sway bar links. these often go overlooked cuz when the car is on the ground they appear as normal. nissan used a ball-in-socket type swaybar links. when the ball pops out, or in my case, cracks the socket into pieces, the loose ends hit eachother when the nose of your car rolls around turns, thus the clunking sound. if its a rattling sound its possible that your brake mounts are loose or worn. mine are cranked tight but the mounts are worn so it offers a slight rattling sound when turning.
I had my swaybar links done..mine were shot anyway it did not solve the problem.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:42 AM

Sounds like control arms.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Got the same problem. Replaced both my axles and didn't solve it. I can also hear the clunking if I push down on each of the fenders. Sounds like it's coming from the rear of the engine, but at the same time like the drivers side suspension so it's kinda hard to tell.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by petro2342
Got the same problem. Replaced both my axles and didn't solve it. I can also hear the clunking if I push down on each of the fenders. Sounds like it's coming from the rear of the engine, but at the same time like the drivers side suspension so it's kinda hard to tell.
funny I push down on my fenders and hear no noise. On smooth roads also no noise and suspension feels fine. Bumpy roads is where I hear all kinds of noise. I had one lower control arm replaced (bushing was shot) the bushing in the other Lower control arm was fine no play in them. Noise still there
Old 04-07-2009, 07:10 AM

I still have the low speed acceleration 'clunking' sound after getting my lower radiator support replaced. It really amazes me how professional mechanics simply guess at things by and large; I had asked them to evaluate this issue and they immediately attributed it to the tie bar. Granted, it needed replacement, but I remain amazed that it's generally up to us owners to diagnose our vehicles properly.

So having installed Raxles, inner & outer tie rods, and exhaust hangers all in the last year or two, I agree with djlusky and loxity that the culprit is either sway bar links/bushings and/or LCAs.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 AM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Phaedrus220
I still have the low speed acceleration 'clunking' sound after getting my lower radiator support replaced. It really amazes me how professional mechanics simply guess at things by and large; I had asked them to evaluate this issue and they immediately attributed it to the tie bar. Granted, it needed replacement, but I remain amazed that it's generally up to us owners to diagnose our vehicles properly.

So having installed Raxles, inner & outer tie rods, and exhaust hangers all in the last year or two, I agree with djlusky and loxity that the culprit is either sway bar links/bushings and/or LCAs.
Yes sad but true. I think we all have to know something about our cars to help point some mechanics in the right direction or you can wind up getting ripped. I still have my driver side lower control arm that was never replaced, Im going to do that maybe later this summer and hopefully it will fix the problem but I doubt it. The noise sounds like its coming from my engine compartment somewhere.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 AM

my vote still stands.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 AM

I say its upper strut mount related but what the heck
Old 04-07-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo
I say its upper strut mount related but what the heck
I have the progress coilovers for a bit over 2 years, it would be very disappointing to me if that was the case, Nismo. However, that will be looked at next, after troubleshooting the sway bar link theory. Here's a good link for anyone looking into this as the problem, the same symptoms are described:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...-how-pics.html

The thread also references a wikihow link on sway bar link replacement.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 AM

I also have a clunking noise. Still on original suspension (126k miles) stock height. The axles are brand new. I took it to a shop but they said they couldn't hear anything. It doesn't sound like it is the suspension, because I can go over speed bump head on and no noise, but if the car rolls side to side you can hear it and if you are in reverse and you have the wheels turned all the way to one side you can hear it.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM

I have that clunk too, but it sounds like it's coming from the rear. almost sound like the board over the spare is moving but it's not that because i remove that board and drive and the sound is still there
Old 04-08-2009, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by rf97
I have that clunk too, but it sounds like it's coming from the rear. almost sound like the board over the spare is moving but it's not that because i remove that board and drive and the sound is still there
I once had a rock something hard (forgot what it was) drop down into the spare tire area and was rattling around everytime I hit a bump or turn hard. When I was changing my rear springs, I took everything out and found it. I dont even have a spare tire in there anymore and stuffed a big blanket in there.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:23 PM

can it be my inner tie rod? i jacked the car up today and seen the boot was ripped and it look dryed no grease..
im thinking not the control arms...!!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:26 PM

^Did you do the 6oclock 9oclock shake to test for play.?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM

yeahh
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by vQmaxii
yeahh
And ????

I also have a drivers side 'clunk' but I can't track it down either. Seems it is only on bumpy surfaces (no clunk at hwy speeds). I figure it'll get bad enough to let me know what it is eventually, until then - I just live with it. lol Sad ... but I can't figure out where it's coming from.

I've thought strut mount, ball joint (although, no other s/s of bad ball joint), tie rod ends (again, no other signs of bad TREs), control arm, hub, axle, you name it .... I'll just wait it out.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 PM

if you also get a 'wobble' feeling at HWY speeds, the clunk might be a balljoint which to some people might mean the replacement of the LCA. Due to it being a problem during steering, I would check the sway bar endlinks first.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by bamboomerang
if you also get a 'wobble' feeling at HWY speeds, the clunk might be a balljoint which to some people might mean the replacement of the LCA. Due to it being a problem during steering, I would check the sway bar endlinks first.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by bamboomerang

I get a wobble at low speed like 10mph. Not sure if it is related to the noise but there is a definite wobble. Also when at HWY speeds the car is very sensitive to winds. Wind never used to bother the car but now if a gust of wind hits the car it practically blows me into the other lane. I have to turn the wheel 45 degrees to correct it.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 PM

Ive had this similar type of noise for awhile now as well. But whats weird is this "clunk" noise only appears after I drive it in the wet. Something is getting wet that is not suppose to and causing this noise. I did think it was the struts/springs, but nothing when I push down on the fenders. Only when I go over potholes, or when weight is transferred from side to side when turning.

I had my CV boots replaced last week as they were cracked on both sides. I was thinking that was the problem. But it clearly wasn't.

Definitely discouraging that many other people are having similar issues, yet no one really knows what it is. :sad: I just hope a wheel doesnt fly off (or worse) when I'm driving.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:55 PM

same problem when i turn the wheel and accelerate effing pissin me off

Quick Reply: Clunking noise from front end