4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Am I the only one who knows this???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Am I the only one who knows this???

I'm sure a lot of people know this. But I was wondering why no-one has ever mentioned it?
I have the liberty of having a 4th Generation GXE and GLE. For a long time I have noticed a big difference in the performance of the two.
At first it puzzeled me.. I thought they we pretty much the identical cars, just one more of a luxury car, and one more of a fun car...
But the GXE is lacking an Electronic Controled Transmission... This is making the transmission considerable slower, and I think a little dumber.. The GLE accelerates much quicker, shifts smoother and faster, not to mention much quieter....?
Does anyone know more on the subject? If so please tell me about it?
Cause I'm mad that Nissan riped me off again...
Old 11-19-2001, 05:56 PM

Then how is it controlled?

Hydraulics, , I think all autos are the same, controlled by the ECU to the transaxle solenoid. Which is electronic. I am not sure if this is what affects the shifts but its my guess.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:26 PM

So, then where does the SE fit into this picture? It is my understanding that all three models are identical in terms of acceleration and shifting (comparing automatics). I'm not sure about the GLE since I haven't driven it, but I own a 96 GXE auto, and my dad owns a 97 SE auto, and we have raced a few times with both cars staying about even. So, either A) the SE auto is also slower than the GLE auto based on your assertion (which would be rather odd), or B) there is something wrong with your GXE. Do you have actual numbers that indicate the GXE is slower, like quarter mile times, or 0-60? I think the reason that it has not been mentioned is that it is not true (not trying to flame).
Old 11-19-2001, 06:33 PM

I think the SE has the same auto tranny as the GLE.

The only difference that I have read in the brochures is that on the SE and GLE, the auto tranny comes with an electonically controlled liquid-filled engine mount. This control matches the level of dampling to the engine's RPM. The SE manual and GXE have these mounts, but they aren't electronically controlled. The benefit of the electric ones are reduced engine noise and vibration at idle and smooth ride at crusising speed.

Otherwise, I think the trannys are the same.

-Nick
Old 11-19-2001, 06:38 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

The auto tranny (and the 5 spd) are the same in all the models, the only difference being those with LSD's, but the VB and the tranny ECU's are all the same (I know the 5spd doesn't have a tranny ecu) ...
Old 11-19-2001, 08:31 PM

I'm not sure about the '95-'96, but I am sure about the 97-99... its another way I believe Nissan tried to cut corners... The SE and GLE share the same transmission, but the GXE dosen't
Old 11-19-2001, 08:35 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Really? Ive worked on both, they seem the same to me. The valve body is what controls shifting, along with the tranny ECU. the only other difference is that the SE has different engine mounts....
Old 11-19-2001, 08:49 PM

You guy's have got to be kiding me.

Any given year 95-present the Engines/Tranny's are the exact same across the lines. GXE's with H rated tires are speed limited via the ecu. SE's GLE's with Auto's have liquid filled motor mounts (read no biggy). That's it.
Old 11-19-2001, 09:02 PM
jmax

If you have ever been to jim wolf's page he sells performance engine mounts. Which are not as soft and squishy as the stock mounts. They allow the car to transfer power to the ground more efficiently but give a rougher ride. So I think the question has been answered. The tranny's are the same, but the motor mounts are not.

Old 11-19-2001, 09:20 PM

I went to my dealer and complained.. and they told me about it...
Maybe they were just trying to make money of me... He was telling me it would cost $3000.00 for them to upgrade the transmission to a GLE's transmission... I was like scr*w u...
But by the way what does an ELectronically controled liquid-filled front engine mounts do?
And can that have a serious effect on performance.. or is it just my GXE

Sorry if i mislead anyone... I didn't know a lot about this topic thats why i asked...
Old 11-19-2001, 09:22 PM

I think u all just answered my question...
But were there difference between the '95-6 GXE and the '97-99 Gxe Engine mounts.?
thanks..
Old 11-19-2001, 10:08 PM

Motor mounts are what attach the Motor to the Car. If the motors where directly bolted to the car. You'd feel every vibration that the motor has while it runs. The advantage would be that when you steped on the gas pedal there would be no wasted energy of the motor trying to twist, It'd go all do the driveline and accessorys.

What the manufactors do is put rubber or liquid filled mounts in there to make the car idle smoothly. I'd imagine the liquid filled mounts would firm up when running?

Basicly motor mounts won't do much to your car. I'd stay away from them unless your working on 1/4 mile runs or are road racing. Or... have 150,000+ miles on your car. Its not what makes the GLE faster then a GXE. Neither should be faster then the other. I'd imagine the difference would be just manufacturing diffence, maintance, wear and tear, etc...