4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

argh!! help with heated seat problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 08:18 PM

argh!! help with heated seat problem!!

OKaee, I know this is probably happened because I voiced my concern about the rattles and crackles in my car.
Long story short: I was driving my car this evening and I turned on the heated seat--driver side. WHen my butt was nice warm and toasty I tried to turn it off, but the button was jammed. I waited awhile and noticed the button was loose, so I pulled it out to examine the problem. I put the heated seat button back in and it works. I played with it a few more times and the lights won't go off/on anymore. And the problem is the passenger side button lights don't work as well.
When I say it doesn't work--I mean to say the seats don't heat up and the lights don't turn on. I was wondering if this could possibly be a fuse?
Question: I was wondering if anyone know what the problem might be from my description , or if anyone else experienced this before?
I really don't want to take it to the dealer because they will want to charge me an arm or leg.
I was also wondering, could I have possibly shorted something out from this?

thank you for all your help and feedbacks.

Brian
Old 11-19-2001, 08:25 PM

Yeah, I would assume you blew a fuse. When you say the buttons were loose what exactly do you mean? Did you take them out of the center console, or did you take them apart? I would assume you shorted something out and blew a fuse. I don't know what the fuse is labeled though. good luck
Old 11-19-2001, 09:20 PM

Is the fuse for passanger seat....different to the driver seat??
because my passanger heated seat is not working
Old 11-20-2001, 05:48 AM

sorry about the "vague-ness" in my words.
I meant loose meaning that I was able to pull the heated seat button out of the center console. when I put the button back into the center console, it didn't seem to fit snugly--it was 'loose' and wobbly, but the first time, the lights came on though for both sides of the heated seats. But after I played with it, by clicking it on and off, the two sides didn't turn on anymore.

would anyone know which is the fuse?

thanks--

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Yeah, I would assume you blew a fuse. When you say the buttons were loose what exactly do you mean? Did you take them out of the center console, or did you take them apart? I would assume you shorted something out and blew a fuse. I don't know what the fuse is labeled though. good luck
Old 11-20-2001, 08:11 AM

this happened to both of my switches.....first they stopped lighting up and then they both felt like they were getting jammed.....i brought it to the dealer and they changed the switches and they worked fine again....i think those things are made like crap cause it happened to my friend to!...
Old 11-20-2001, 09:30 AM

btw, how many miles was on your car when this happened? how much did the dealer charge you for the service?

I took care of the seats this morning. I took a look at the switch and it seem a piece of the plastic hinge broke off, so that was why the switch is whobbly or loose.
Then I looked at my Haynes manual--no help there since there is no indication what fuse is what. I took a stab at the internal fuse box of the car, and luckily I found the switch. wheww. someone was smart enough to mark them off at the factory. (heheh).
I pulled the fuse out and it was burnt. I went to the dealership to get a fuse ($1.39 for the stinking fuse--armed robbery) and then I got the switch at $45. I installed it myself and now it works fine.
good thing this stuff isn't really rocket science.

Originally posted by RidinOnChrome
this happened to both of my switches.....first they stopped lighting up and then they both felt like they were getting jammed.....i brought it to the dealer and they changed the switches and they worked fine again....i think those things are made like crap cause it happened to my friend to!...
Old 11-22-2001, 07:27 PM

Glad to hear you got it all resolved. My buttons stick at times - that's from spilling sodas and other stuff that gets inside the buttons and gunks em up. I have taken mine out once before, disassembled them, cleaned em up and put em back in. No probs and it was very easy.