4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

mAd tYte jDM HiDs y0!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

mAd tYte jDM HiDs y0!!!

Ok, so as some of you may know (I'm looking at you, nalc)

I've been off and on working on my projector retrofit. I've learned a ton, screwed up constantly, and it's finally done (actually it's been done for about a week and a half now, but I've been mad busy with work/other crap). I've spent a lot on this retro with all the tools and hardware that I had to buy and the amount of screwups that occured. I'm pretty sure I personally kept Home Depot afloat in this time of economic crisis.

My retrofit consists of: R34 one piece headlights (the black ones) and TSX projectors.

My thoughts on this mod:

1) Light output - Duh, it's about 1x10^13244 times better than stock. It's my opinion that the 95-96 lights are worse than the 97+ because it diffuses the light even more with the fluted lenses. Then again, because they're glass, they don't get yellow and fog up, so it's kind of a toss-up.

The main thing that struck me about the retro is how wide the beam is. I can light up a lot of the road in front of me, and still see a good ways down the road.

2) R34's - there are pros and cons to using the R34s in a retro fit. If you're not going to use JNC's mounting method, it's great, as there is a flat back that you can easily bolt to. However, even though the TSX is a relatively small projector, it was still a pretty tight fit. Also, if I had to do it all again, I'd go with the chrome R34s instead of the black. I think it makes it more stock-looking and less "aftermarket." But that's just my opinion. I also believe that the black R34s would go better with the 97+ grill because of the connecting body-colored or chrome cross bars.

3) TSXs - Ok, so I bought two TSX projects, however one had a clear lense and another with a fresnel. I bought a set of clear lenses off of ebay, but they didn't fit. Appearantly this guy is known for duping people into buying his lenses that don't fit. So that was another $30 wasted (I've been informed that they may not even fit the FX's, so basically DON'T GET EBAY LENSES!)
So I eventually bought one TSX aftermarket lense from The Retrofit source. It looked the same in the pictures, but it is definitely different in real life. However, it was not so different that I felt that I had to buy an original TSX clear lense, so I left it.

4) 4300k HID kit - I used a kit from a GD here (Umnitza) it was cheap and it works. I may upgrade later to a 55w kit so I can see further down the road, but honestly, unless this breaks, I'm not worried.

5) Shrouds - Man, this one was one big flustercluck after another, but I used MDX shrouds. First and foremost, they didn't fit the TSX projector, they were too small. Then, they were too big to fit inside the R34 projector. Both problems I fixed with a dremel, but they don't look as good as they did before.

6) Mounting/fit - R34s fit pretty well, but on the very last day when I was done aiming and sealing, I overtighted one of the mounting nuts/posts and broke the stud bolt. I had to find a very short screw that was the same size, which was kind of a b!tch.

7) Wiring harness - Ok, this is really where it all started, so I guess I should have started there. Anyway, I did a LOT of research on this, and solved a few problems that people have had. For this, I'd like to thank: nalc, Andrew (i can't remember his whole sn, but I'm sure he'll post here), kzoosho, and a few others on hidplanet. Basically I put my low beams on the wiring harness and left the stock wiring to power my high beams. I have no "hid blink" when I hit my highs and I can flash the high beams at oncoming traffic without my low beams coming on unneccessarily. I'll explain more later if need be, but I'll post my wiring diagram.

On to the pix!

Some tools I used:

Some of the hardware I used

Some important components

Last edited by Coolsaber57; 04-06-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:25 PM

Baked to perfection: R34 Soufflé!

Taken apart - the inner components of the R34s: clear lens and black trim

Housing and chrome reflector

Front of housing (to show size)

Annoying original adjustment screw (I recommend, if you can, to cut this down inside the housing. Or rip it out completely and seal that hole up with bondo or something.

Last edited by Coolsaber57; 04-06-2009 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:28 PM

JNC's mounting method in use with metal brackets that I found in home depot (I definitely recommend you find smaller ones because it was REAL close to not fitting correctly.

All mounted up:

With MF(*$(#&(*&# shroud installed (I'm pretty sure that this is NOT how you're supposed to do it, but I'm not what you'd call "Creative" or "handy" so it's the best I could do. The rest of the grey part of the projector was painted with high-temp flat black. You can see how I dealt with the frustration of the shroud.

My final wiring diagram

Final wiring harness completed with loom

Last edited by Coolsaber57; 04-05-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 PM

What I used to seal the biotch up (definitely recommended!)

Mounted on the car

And again

And because Samuel L Jackson is so awesome:

Last edited by Coolsaber57; 04-05-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:45 PM

those look real nice what k are you runnin? do you even have bulbs in? should thro some output pics up when ya do other than that looks clean bro
answer my own question haha what i get for not reading all of it

Last edited by AZombiePENGUIN; 04-05-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by AZombiePENGUIN
those look real nice what k are you runnin? do you even have bulbs in? should thro some output pics up when ya do other than that looks clean bro
I'm running 4300K, I'll definitely get some pics up of the output, I just haven't had the chance.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 PM

ya its lookin mad tyte lol
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM

Looks real good. lets see some output pics
i would love to see some double projector R34's. oh wait heres some
Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 PM

2xprojectors look sick but i like the stock housing better for duals
Old 04-05-2009, 08:09 PM

not IMO, those look stock
Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 PM

lookin' fly dude

AZP - duals in stock housings hasn't been done by anyone except Flava, and he cheated (1" mini fog projectors)

Trust me, after doing a retro in the stock housings, and doing a retro in R34s, R34s are the way to go.

Now get some body colored door handles and black window trim - since you have blackout headlights.

Glad you didn't turn into a HIDwhore like me, dude. At last count, I have six HID bulbs, five ballasts, and 11 projectors.

I just wired up an e46 bix with a cut shield, a damaged 85122, a gen2 Nissan ballast, and a 12v computer power supply. Sometimes hoodlums like to loiter at the corner in front of my building. I'm on the 6th floor, so they usually think it's a searchlight from a police helicopter.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:18 PM

Stock housing for duals looks a bit off IMO, the R34s are better for duals.

But they def. don't look stock.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM

now for the light output
Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by nalc
lookin' fly dude

AZP - duals in stock housings hasn't been done by anyone except Flava, and he cheated (1" mini fog projectors)

Trust me, after doing a retro in the stock housings, and doing a retro in R34s, R34s are the way to go.

Now get some body colored door handles and black window trim - since you have blackout headlights.

Glad you didn't turn into a HIDwhore like me, dude. At last count, I have six HID bulbs, five ballasts, and 11 projectors.

I just wired up an e46 bix with a cut shield, a damaged 85122, a gen2 Nissan ballast, and a 12v computer power supply. Sometimes hoodlums like to loiter at the corner in front of my building. I'm on the 6th floor, so they usually
think it's a searchlight from a police helicopter.
lol, yeah, I have more plans to fix up the outside and get rid of the chrome.

Next up is black bumper lights (which I'm gonna LED). Then the handles, then door trim. Unfortunately, I have a rare color maxima, so finding body-colored handles is a *****...

Oh, and lawls @ the search light.

Last edited by Coolsaber57; 04-05-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM

pictars of cutoff plz
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
pictars of cutoff plz
Will get some tomorrow sir!

Although, it'll be the same quality as my other pics. Meaning, crappy cell phone pics because I don't have a decent camera.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Whatchyou say?

I think Flava has dual projectors ??? Can't reacll, too lazy to look. lol

Looks nice mate ... it's worth taking the time and doing it right.

Did you make the harness or buy it (if so - where from)?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax

Looks nice mate ... it's worth taking the time and doing it right.

Did you make the harness or buy it (if so - where from)?
I actually designed and made the harness myself. I think my diagram that I used may be on my other computer, but I'll upload it when I get the chance.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:50 PM

Looks nice!!! I'm thinking of doing the same project. PITA i see and took a lot of 6 packs and patience - eh?
Old 04-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't think the ebay clear lenses work for FX's without cutting down the lens holder lip.. At least not the lenses from tomtom0037..

The lenses from retrofit-source are pretty much drop in and enjoy the pretty colorband but cost 3x more then the cheap ones..

I just started my R34/FX35 retro a few hours ago and I'm already wishing I lived a lil closer to kzoosho..

Thanks for the pics by the way.. I was wondering how it would look if I left out the low beam reflector and now that I see it I think I'm gonna try and keep most of it in there..

Last edited by TSoprano; 04-05-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 AM

TSoprano, the other thing you could try to do is use a large chrome shroud. I believe that furry chrome pic linked to uses a pair of e46 replica chrome shrouds on each side. They're big, and you'd need to trim them down, but they cover most of the area between the lens and the oddly shaped R34 opening.

BTW, cool, this is where I'm at now. My projectors are bigger

I'm curious to see the harness - I'm still figuring mine out. Soldered up a super complicated 3-relay jawn, and it didn't work so now it's back to the beginning, I'll re-do it.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Whatchyou say?

I will gladly make you a harness (made several for members already). PM if interested. I also use 3 relays (but mine work ). It can be tricky for sure.

What projectors did you use Nalc?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by trand71
Looks nice!!! I'm thinking of doing the same project. PITA i see and took a lot of 6 packs and patience - eh?
heh yeah, it really is kinda a pain, but once you see them for the first time on the road...it's all worth it.

Originally Posted by TSoprano
I don't think the ebay clear lenses work for FX's without cutting down the lens holder lip.. At least not the lenses from tomtom0037..

The lenses from retrofit-source are pretty much drop in and enjoy the pretty colorband but cost 3x more then the cheap ones..

I just started my R34/FX35 retro a few hours ago and I'm already wishing I lived a lil closer to kzoosho..

Thanks for the pics by the way.. I was wondering how it would look if I left out the low beam reflector and now that I see it I think I'm gonna try and keep most of it in there..
So those lenses don't work for the FX either? Man that guy rips everyone off

Good luck keeping the reflector in there, it sticks out pretty far and you're going to have a real hard time fitting it. You will be making friends with a dremel.

Nalc's suggestion of a bigger chrome shroud is right on. However, I'm still not a fan of the replica shrouds' design. But that's all subjective.

TSoprano, the other thing you could try to do is use a large chrome shroud. I believe that furry chrome pic linked to uses a pair of e46 replica chrome shrouds on each side. They're big, and you'd need to trim them down, but they cover most of the area between the lens and the oddly shaped R34 opening.

BTW, cool, this is where I'm at now. My projectors are bigger

I'm curious to see the harness - I'm still figuring mine out. Soldered up a super complicated 3-relay jawn, and it didn't work so now it's back to the beginning, I'll re-do it.

Curious to see my harness? It's up in the pics. Also the diagram is up there now, 2 relay design w/ capacitor and diode.

EDIT: not shown in the harness pic above is the two wires where I tapped the parking (or driving) lamps, whatever you call it. It worked nicely as 'check'.

Nice going on the new retro! I like how you went from budget-minded camry projectors to....this. Also, are they bixenon? I can't remember.

Last edited by Coolsaber57; 04-06-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 AM

M35/M45 singles. They're big *****. Took hours of dremelling and filing to cut them down.

Now I want to put my Camry projectors and H11 kit, with cut shields, as my high beams!

But if I do that, I don't know what to do with my Lexus yellow capsules!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:55 AM

M35/M45 singles. They're big *****. Took hours of dremelling and filing to cut them down.

Now I want to put my Camry projectors and H11 kit, with cut shields, as my high beams!

But if I do that, I don't know what to do with my Lexus yellow capsules!!!
Um....dude....fogs.

You'll be the brightest MFer on the block
Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 AM

yellow capsules need to be retroed in fogs
Old 04-06-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
yellow capsules need to be retroed in fogs
True, but that's where the capsules are meant to go.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 AM

I'll have to see if the 9005 yellow high beams are bright enough. The M35s have an awesome output, though.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM

lol ZKW clear lense'd FTW, i got mine off a BMW X5, i need to get my aiming back in place then take some pictars of the output.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:33 AM

lol ZKW clear lense'd FTW, i got mine off a BMW X5, i need to get my aiming back in place then take some pictars of the output.
ZKW is expensive. My retro was semi-budget minded, which is why I went with the Retrofit source replacement.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Congrats on the project clean and OEM looking, congrats again, out of curiosity, if u were to make these for someone wat would be your asking price??
Old 04-06-2009, 11:04 AM

trfs is just as good as true zkw at a faction of the cost. I use them alot.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by maxfever1987
Congrats on the project clean and OEM looking, congrats again, out of curiosity, if u were to make these for someone wat would be your asking price??

Thank you!
Heh, well, to be honest, you'd really want to go to kzoosho or Gtr_Rider for that. I suck comparatively.

That, and it depends on what you'd want done. Dual projectors, wiring harness, all that crap would cost more.

Wait, is my retro stock-looking? IMO it's a little bit "aftermarket" for me, but that may be just because I need to get rid of the rest of the chrome on the body.

Last edited by Coolsaber57; 04-06-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Looks real good. lets see some output pics
i would love to see some double projector R34's. oh wait heres some

Those do look really nice, clean retro and the shrouds really set it off.

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Yes I do

Yup, I used a set of those for a Cefiro retro I did, well the ones I used were actually BMW shrouds with the BMW Xenon print on them. But the size of them works really well once trimmed down. Always better to have them too big vs. too small.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
So those lenses don't work for the FX either? Man that guy rips everyone off

Good luck keeping the reflector in there, it sticks out pretty far and you're going to have a real hard time fitting it. You will be making friends with a dremel.

Nalc's suggestion of a bigger chrome shroud is right on. However, I'm still not a fan of the replica shrouds' design. But that's all subjective.
Yea I just filed a paypal dispute against that guy for false advertising..

I got my R34's on Friday and just got around to opening em up and trimming down the FX's last night. Now that I see how tight of a fit the projectors are gonna be it looks like my best bet is a big ol chrome shroud.. I just wanna keep some chrome in there so it sora matches the high beam side..
Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by TSoprano
Yea I just filed a paypal dispute against that guy for false advertising..

I got my R34's on Friday and just got around to opening em up and trimming down the FX's last night. Now that I see how tight of a fit the projectors are gonna be it looks like my best bet is a big ol chrome shroud.. I just wanna keep some chrome in there so it sora matches the high beam side..
Yeah, it's a good idea, and it's something I'd change if I had to do mine over.

Good luck on the paypal dispute...most likely since it's only $30, you won't see a dime of it back
Old 04-06-2009, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
ZKW is expensive. My retro was semi-budget minded, which is why I went with the Retrofit source replacement.
if u really want ZKW lenses i can probably find them for dirt cheap, omg what a difference
Old 04-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Got Retrofit?

Wow they sure do look nice.

/Subscribed for output pix.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:42 PM

im impressed. those look REALLY nice. cant wait to see what the output looks like!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM

if u really want ZKW lenses i can probably find them for dirt cheap, omg what a difference
Define "dirt cheap"!
I'm looking for 2.5" clear lenses for kinda cheap if you can get any..

Quick Reply: mAd tYte jDM HiDs y0!!!