4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suggestions for my situation, shop crashes my car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:29 PM

Suggestions for my situation, shop crashes my car...

So Saturday afternoon I took my car into the local shop to get a oil change done (as they were advertising a $19.95 oil change, which would be cheaper than doing it myself). It was pouring rain and I didn't notice the damage until this morning:

I have been using this shop for oil changes for 2.5 years and have never had any problems with the in the past. The main tech guy is actually a member on this site and I cannot believe that they didn't even have the dignity to tell me what happened.

Because I left the shop, I fear that they will deny everything and because there is no proof that it happened there now, I am really unsure of what to do. I went back to the shop today (Easter Sunday) and tried to see if there was any pole or obstruction that they could have hit but couldn't see anything because the doors were closed.

If anyone has had this happen in the past, I am just looking for some feedback. I plan on heading down there tomorrow morning and informing them of this situation and demanding it to be repaired. Not only is the bumper scraped, but it is dented and it will require a new bumper cover and paint.

Thanks for your input guys, sorry for the sob story.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM

i had something similar happen to me, i dont remember what i had done but i couldnt pick it up untill after the place closed. they gave me a call right before they closed saying they would leave the keys under my seat and they didnt charge me for the normal"diagnostic check" ($20) which they usually chrage. i pick it up that night and instantly notice there is a "spider web" crack on the top of my bumper. I called them the next day, nobody noticed the crack or said anything to the manager about hitting something, and "unfortunately once the car leaves the lot they cant be held responsible for any damage".
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just go back to the shop tomorrow, and explain to them the damage,
Remember the customer is always right, I work as a service advisor for some years and constantly had costumers come back crying, about any little thing, My director gave them everything. new rims, paint jobs, blow jobs, just to shut them up,
You did not mention what Company it was if it was a big Company, there is always, a higher authority, that will help, if not Consumer affairs will, But stand your'e Ground,
most of this EZ oil changing stations, employees are not all there
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM

I would just go down there and talk to them. Be nice at first. Meanwhile look for what was hit. maybe some of your paint is there. take a camera too, but be stealth with it. if you see something that they hit and has your paint take a photo. if they don't want to fix it, calmly state that you will be contacting the better business bureau. Though hopefully it won't come to that. Just be nice about it and understanding. but make sure they know you want it fixed. Good luck bro.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 PM

It is a chain shop and they do have a corporate office if they fail to cooperate but I really can't understand how they assumed I wouldn't notice such damage, especially to a valued and repeat customer.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:50 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by manny097
Remember the customer is always right
I hate that statement, 99% of the time it is completely incorrect.

OP: Yes, just talk to the manager and see what he says. That's the best way to start it out, just be nice and civil.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr

OP: Yes, just talk to the manager and see what he says. That's the best way to start it out, just be nice and civil.
That statement is true 100% of the time in national chains but rarely true in local businesses... Thats why its tough to find a decent mechanic
Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 PM

well.

go talk to them like everyone else says, or do like my friend did with his integra..

have camera put up all around the car, and have some sort of 400gig harddrive and a computer hooked up somewhere in the car recording the action...
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr

A dealership I worked in finally installed a $10,000 camera system in the service drive that took 2 photos (right front and left rear) of each car that came through.

When the mooches claimed that we dented their car and wanted us to pay to fix it, we just showed them the picture, in which the dent was clearly visible. It was also time and date-stamped.

OP: I amd not saying that is the case with you, this is just a response to 'the customer is always right' statement above.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:36 AM

I didnt read any posts after reading the 1st one. It sounds to me like a shop "mis-hap" (mis-happening) that no1 shall see nor tell. This has once happened to me and since then i been doing oil by myself.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:27 AM

no cameras in the garage bays???? seems to me they could of possibly pushed a piece of equipment(heavy kart) they have into the back of the car?

hope everything work outs for you.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by nymax99se
no cameras in the garage bays???? seems to me they could of possibly pushed a piece of equipment(heavy kart) they have into the back of the car?

hope everything work outs for you.
Yeah I actually just got back from the shop and the kid who did the oil change doesn't come in until 9 this morning, but the manager was puzzled as to what might have hit the car, as it is really high up on the bumper and doesnt match any of their poles.

I have to call back in about an hour to see what the kid says....I hope he can have the courage to man up and take responsibility for his actions.

If they give me trouble, I'll ask about the cameras...as it is, I took pictures of the car a few days before this incident and have pictures right after as well. The manager seemed to be cooperative though.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 AM

how do you know they did the damage? if your car was parked outside on their lot, any customer could've backed into your bumper. don't always blame the shop workers. it looks like a white van hit your bumper becauase it is a high hit.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by dralucard
how do you know they did the damage? if your car was parked outside on their lot, any customer could've backed into your bumper. don't always blame the shop workers. it looks like a white van hit your bumper becauase it is a high hit.
Because I was there the whole time and would have seen it get hit in the parking lot. I was waiting there and saw them pull the car around, park it, and I was in view of the car while paying even.

I know that someone else didn't hit it, unless it happened out back, which wouldn't be my fault anyways as customers aren't supposed to be driving behind the shop.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by dkillahster
go talk to them like everyone else says, or do like my friend did with his integra..

have camera put up all around the car, and have some sort of 400gig harddrive and a computer hooked up somewhere in the car recording the action...
Pretty sure that's illegal.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
Pretty sure that's illegal.
Nope, if it's legal for him to be parked there, it's legal for him to take pictures or video there.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 AM

Give them a chance to own up and fix it.I think its really bad already that they didnt say anything to you before letting you leave.But, since they know you well and you have been going to them....just talk to them about it.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Nope, if it's legal for him to be parked there, it's legal for him to take pictures or video there.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:03 PM

if its a big chain, they'll most likely take care of it because its really the kid whose going to get into trouble. But once there is any sort of accident in the bay, they imediately drug test the person working on the vehicle. So that is why the kid didn't own up or won't own up.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:24 PM

ok look at your car! it nice and clean! damn near mint. when you speak to them explain to them that you dont carry yourself in such a manner( meaning you keep your **** tight)and since they have returned your car in such a manner you understand that it may take them some time to fix their mistake but you are willing to be patient. dont give them an oppurtunity to make any statements or ask any questions. you know they did it they know they did it. speak to them as such. oh and wear a smile.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:38 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

Hope they take care of their mistake..
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the support guys.

After going down and speaking to the manager, he said that he had to talk to the kid who did the change and he would contact me by Wednesday. I know he wont own up to it hopefully they will come though and fix it, as my family has provided them with thousands of dollars worth of work over the years.

I'll keep this thread updated.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by 99BlackMaxMS
Thanks for the support guys.

After going down and speaking to the manager, he said that he had to talk to the kid who did the change and he would contact me by Wednesday. I know he wont own up to it hopefully they will come though and fix it, as my family has provided them with thousands of dollars worth of work over the years.

I'll keep this thread updated.
Sorry, to here all of this, I really like your car alot and It is very attractive, I

hope they will admit there mistakes and take immediate actions. I had

someone do something similiar to my car and no one admited there sickful

mistake. Sometimes you just wonder why there are such crule people out there.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:45 PM

Be nice when you go there. Since you're a long time coustomer hopefully they won't be butts about it. They should know who worked on your car (oil change) and can pretty much narrow it down so the guilty party is really easy to find. If they refuse to pay for the damage, (in full) definitely contact the BBB and their corporate headquarters. If you don't like that route, you may want to consider hiring a lawyer.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 AM

Because I was there the whole time and would have seen it get hit in the parking lot. I was waiting there and saw them pull the car around, park it, and I was in view of the car while paying even.

I know that someone else didn't hit it, unless it happened out back, which wouldn't be my fault anyways as customers aren't supposed to be driving behind the shop.
this makes no sense. you saw the car the entire time, but you didn't see it get hit? then you blame them for the damage? maybe i'm missing something, but i don't see how they are to blame. anyway, i hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:02 AM

they were advertising a $19.95 oil change, which would be cheaper than doing it myself
I just don't get why people who care about their cars don't change their own oil. There is no way that a $20 oil change saves money - unless you are getting synthetic oil (not possible at that price) and a high quality (not likely) filter. Plus, it takes more time to take your car to someone, wait for the service, and then drive back home than to do it yourself.

Sorry about your problem, and good luck getting compensated. But anytime you bring your car to one of these places you are open to this kind of nonsense.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by dralucard
this makes no sense. you saw the car the entire time, but you didn't see it get hit? then you blame them for the damage? maybe i'm missing something, but i don't see how they are to blame. anyway, i hope everything works out for you.
I didn't see them pull it into the shop, or pull it out (where it must have happened). I just saw him park the car and can assure you that it was not hit in the parking lot. Why don't you believe my story? I wouldn't be posting a thread if I knew the answer to my problem...

Originally Posted by nafddur
I just don't get why people who care about their cars don't change their own oil. There is no way that a $20 oil change saves money - unless you are getting synthetic oil (not possible at that price) and a high quality (not likely) filter. Plus, it takes more time to take your car to someone, wait for the service, and then drive back home than to do it yourself.

Sorry about your problem, and good luck getting compensated. But anytime you bring your car to one of these places you are open to this kind of nonsense.
Because I get it changed every 3000 miles anyways, and rather than dedicate an an hour to put the car on jackstands, change clothes, get all dirty, and what not, I'd rather just pay the $5 extra dollars and have someone else do it for me. I do everything else on my car by myself (or with the help of .org members, ie, KRRZ350), just not oil changes, which I think is pretty well justified.

I am a full time college student and when not in school, work 45 hour weeks and sometimes I find it difficult to squeeze in a few hours to do something like this, where as I can drop the car off for 30 minutes during my lunch break and get in done for around the same price. Thats just my reasoning.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so on saturday before or after the oil change, did you park anywhere else that someone could have hit you....store lot,mall, movies,friends house? just trying to look at other possible places the damage could have happened.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Sorry to hear about this. I know the feeling. You have such an awesome 4th gen. When I used to work at a Nissan dealership I remember one of the oil change kids backing up a brand new Maxima that was in for it's first oil change, out of his lift bay and into another brand new Maxima that was in another lift bay, also in for it's first oil change. He damaged both bumpers. He owned up to it and the dealership took care of it with both owners, new bumper covers and paint. IIRC they have insurance for these kinds of incidents.

I also remember one of the tech's driving a Quest mini van into the shop. There was a Titan in the first lift bay that was lifted half way up on the lift. The tech took the turn too closely and made contact with the far rear passenger's side window and the titan's rear bumper, SMASH! What a mess that was.

Good luck with this man, I hope they take care of it for you.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Coming from a auto tech I used to work at a nissan dealer and one time I hit a pole I would always own up to it.. becuase it is not worth my job.. did you try to see if that would come on.. take a cloth towel and some brk cleaner and see if it will wipe off only after you see what they are going to do. it is hard for me to tell how deep it is in the picture.. but good luck.. but like everyone else said if they deny it then you really dont have a case.. there are people out there that will come to you and tape off your bumper and re-spray it at your house I would like to say for around 100$ but not sure.. the dealers always use them for minor repairs. and like everyone one else said I would just be nice about it and say if they dont want to fix it.. I would say ok what is the number to the coprate office? to they guy and get his name.. they will fix it to just keep you happy and not talking crap about there company it isnt like it is 1000$ of dollars..
Old 04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Fuhget About It.....

I had a situation where I took in my car to my mechanic to replace the filler neck, the next morning I whent to fill up on gas, the fuel door would'nt open they bent the hinges. The owner from the rip was very defensive and denied everything saying his guys are pros and dont work like that, that I must of bent it myself. He called over his mechanic who also from the rip was defensive and got in my face, he must of thought I would run away or something.

Long story short, I told the owner is it worth losing a loyal customer for a $20 fuel door (I've tooken my car there since 03 when I bought it)? He stood by his mechanic and repeated to me I must of broke it, I responded someone ran up my driveway popped the lock on it just to bend it and ran away!

I own a business and that customer is always right, should be taken on a case by case senario, he not only lost my business but that 'one happy customers tells 10 people, etc' also goes with with 'one unhappy customers tells 10 people'.

I tell everyone who asks not to go there anymore, which is a shame cuase they did great work.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by nitromax
so on saturday before or after the oil change, did you park anywhere else that someone could have hit you....store lot,mall, movies,friends house? just trying to look at other possible places the damage could have happened.
That's what I was thinking too. Maybe it happened right before you went for the oil change. Not after based on what the OP has stated thus far.

Or, there could have been a white vehicle in the back, and when your max was pulled out after the oil change, the driver bumped the white vehicle, then drove around front and parked your Max.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by nitromax
Nope, I went straight home and parked it in the garage for the night and didn't notice it until then. I went straight from the shop to my house and there's nowhere it could have been damaged other than the shop.

I am waiting to hear back from him tomorrow and I'll provide an update. I am just hoping that they own up to it and hopefully can provide an explanation. I just would like it to get fixed.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Addicted to the Org

That really sucks!!!!!!!
I was wondering how come you cannot do your own oil change for less than 19.95 plus tax.

Castrol gtx 12.99
Nissan filter 5.50
Total 18.49 plus tax.

And peace of mind doing it right and not hitting poles. Also only takes 5 min tops. You spend more time than that driving to the oil place and giving them your name, etc......
Old 04-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maximized98
That really sucks!!!!!!!
I was wondering how come you cannot do your own oil change for less than 19.95 plus tax.

Castrol gtx 12.99
Nissan filter 5.50
Total 18.49 plus tax.

And peace of mind doing it right and not hitting poles. Also only takes 5 min tops. You spend more time than that driving to the oil place and giving them your name, etc......
He already explained why.....
Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM

That really sucks dude. I hope for your sake they own up to it.

Here would be my argument to the shop, look at the car, look at the damage. There is no way you wouldn't have noticed that before. Your car is clean, and the damage is fresh.

It looks to me like someone bumped the edge of your bumper cover. You can see the paint transfer. It could have been bumper by another customer.

I am sure on the work order you signed at drop-off has a disclaimer stating the repair shop is not responsible for damages. This may come back to haunt you.

I had my rear bumper cover bumped in a similar fashion to yours in a hit & run incident. Good news was someone wrote the plate and put a note on my car. Damages was about $400 for a bumper cover refinish. Plus a collision shop will need 2 days to complete the work.

Good luck, if not you can always call your insurance company, if you have un-insured coverage they will cover it. Probably not worth it, most un-insured losses have a $300 deductible, or your collision deductible.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 PM

A shop did this to my last car, a '96 LS 400 and they wouldn't fess up to it. It was very obvious damage, a huge scrape/dent on the rear quarter panel. We had to pay them to fix it
Old 04-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Sold

Originally Posted by EEMaxima
A shop did this to my last car, a '96 LS 400 and they wouldn't fess up to it. It was very obvious damage, a huge scrape/dent on the rear quarter panel. We had to pay them to fix it
That would be the day. I would have taken it to another place and paid more but I would never let a shop that damaged my personal property "repair" it.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM

hope you get that resolved mang!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:33 PM

My local Nissan dealership advertised for only $9.95 with mobil oil

Hope the shop would man up the damage.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for my situation, shop crashes my car...