4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

window regulator and motor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:50 PM

window regulator and motor question

well i got the replacement ones in the mail so i figured i would install them today. after i did, the window still goes down only but wont go up still.

now the thing is i have 2 regulators and 2 motors and any combination of the 2 still results in this same scenario were it will roll down and not up.

so my question now is, what else could it be? is the switch dead? (because it has rolled up and down all the others just fine just not the driver side)

EDIT: with the old motor i could manually slide the window up and down. with the new motor i can not. but it still has the same effect from the switch. i get ZERO response from the motor when trying to roll the window up. but rolling it down is a piece of cake.

or do yall have another idea?

Last edited by 95.maxima; 04-18-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 PM
No more Maximas...

Are you getting any sort of abnormal sounds from any of the components when trying to roll it up, or just...nothing?
Old 04-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

FWIW, my Max had the drivers window broke out (before I owned it) during a breakin. It goes down fine but rolls up at half the speed of the passenger side. I thought the motor was bad also, but upon getting inside the door I noticed that the front lower guide was twisted, causing the window to "bind" when rolled down. I tried to "twist" it back, which helped a little, but short of replacing the door, I'm just living with it (it still goes up, just not as fast as the other side).

You might want to check it to see if the guide is not "twisted" somewhere causing a bind. That would keep your window from going up.

Pmohr will probably be the best to figure out your problem, this is a problem that I've came across that might be helpful. Didn't know if you had heard of this or not, Pmohr.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Are you getting any sort of abnormal sounds from any of the components when trying to roll it up, or just...nothing?
actually, no.

which amazes me really. when i try to roll the window up there is no noise at all. absolutely nothing, almost like its not even getting the signal. where as if you try to roll up any other window that is rolled all the way up you can at least here the motor working.

and this is why i can only conclude it to be the switch.

and as far as something binding.... i think i replaced it about 5-6 times so i cant really see that i installed it 'wrong' all those times.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 PM

bump

i really need to solve this issue
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95.maxima

and as far as something binding.... i think i replaced it about 5-6 times so i cant really see that i installed it 'wrong' all those times.
It's NOT the motor or track that binding, it's the metal track guide that runs from the front of the door frame all the way down (inside of) the door that got twisted. It caused it to twist the rubber guide INTO the window, thus causing it to bind up the window.

Pull the door apart and look inside the door where the metal guide that holds the rubber guide and goes from top to inside bottom of the door. If it "looks" twisted (even the littlest bit), that could be you problem.

Hope that explains things better.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM

Have you tried taking a multimeter to the pin on the connector that supplies power to see if you're getting the voltage going to it?

On my car, the switch ended up just having an 'iffy' connection - I pulled it apart, applied some dialectic (sp) grease to the connector and it's been fine since.

I wish I knew that this was your problem, and not a mechanical one
Old 04-20-2009, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Max-e-MO!
FWIW, my Max had the drivers window broke out (before I owned it) during a breakin. It goes down fine but rolls up at half the speed of the passenger side. I thought the motor was bad also, but upon getting inside the door I noticed that the front lower guide was twisted, causing the window to "bind" when rolled down. I tried to "twist" it back, which helped a little, but short of replacing the door, I'm just living with it (it still goes up, just not as fast as the other side).

You might want to check it to see if the guide is not "twisted" somewhere causing a bind. That would keep your window from going up.

Pmohr will probably be the best to figure out your problem, this is a problem that I've came across that might be helpful. Didn't know if you had heard of this or not, Pmohr.
i thought of this exact thing, and the only reason i do not believe that it is this, is simply because when i even hold the switch to move the window up, the motor doesnt seem to even get the signal.

Originally Posted by codyace
Have you tried taking a multimeter to the pin on the connector that supplies power to see if you're getting the voltage going to it?

On my car, the switch ended up just having an 'iffy' connection - I pulled it apart, applied some dialectic (sp) grease to the connector and it's been fine since.

I wish I knew that this was your problem, and not a mechanical one
ya i need to get a multimeter (just have had limited use of one so i can ask dad to help out)

ya i have no doubt that you sold me good stuff, i just think it was partially the problem? eeepsk